• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Transmission fluid change and oil change

luke_dubs

Macedonia, Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
I've only had my Regal for, uh, 11 days now, and I want to change the transmission fluid (as I don't think it has ever been done on my car). I've done some research on this forum and google for what fluid to use, but I'm having trouble finding how to change the transmission filter itself. I also would like to know how much transmission fluid I'm supposed to use.

In terms of oil, I know which one to get. But which filter should I choose, and how much oil should I put in?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Concerning engine oil your owners manual, page 12-2, shows 6.3 quarts but the manual is known to be wrong sometimes. Buy 6 quarts, put in 5 and after starting the engine, check the oil level.
I would buy a NAPA Gold or Wix filter or the original AC-Delco.
https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2013/buick/regal/2013_buick_regal_owners.pdf

How many miles on the car that you feel you have to change the transmission fluid. Does it smell burnt?
Page 12-3 shows the capacity but states it does not need to be changed.
There also does not appear to be changeable filter other than in transmission tear down.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The link below is for the Chilton's online repair manual and the password is nvlive001. It tells you how to drain and fill the transmission but there are 2 different transmissions listed for your car so you will have to find out which one you have.

Gale - Product Login

luke_dubs

Macedonia, Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
Are you sure that's the password? Tried it 3 times and it didn't work.

According to GM's "recommendations", they say that the transmission fluid should be changed every 40,000 miles. I'm at 63,500 miles and I do not know if the fluid was replaced at all. I just want to do it now so I don't really have to worry about it for the near future.

Leave it to the Germans to make a transmission fluid filter change difficult.

MKz2017PremII

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II AWD Turbo
My '17 doesn't even have a dipstick to check the T-fluid and I'm not comfortable w that. How's one supposed to check and gauge the degradation of the fluid between services?

luke_dubs

Macedonia, Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
My '17 doesn't even have a dipstick to check the T-fluid and I'm not comfortable w that. How's one supposed to check and gauge the degradation of the fluid between services?
Probably the only way would be to empty a small bit of transmission fluid and inspect that. I know the '16 2.0T Regal (not the GS) has a transmission fluid dipstick. Too bad there were too many idiots in the past putting the wrong fluid in their transmission and then blamed the manufacturer. That's why there really aren't transmission dipsticks anymore. 'Tis a shame.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
My car has a transmission fluid dipstick towards the front/center of the battery.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Have you looked while standing in front of the car to the left and slightly forward of the battery compartment for a roundish cap which states only put in transmission fluid?
If you turn it counterclockwise and pull up you will find a rather long dipstick with a measurement area on the end.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Have you looked while standing in front of the car to the left and slightly forward of the battery compartment for a roundish cap which states only put in transmission fluid?
If you turn it counterclockwise and pull up you will find a rather long dipstick with a measurement area on the end.
This is the third time I know that someone has had to be told this. Maybe there should be a sticky about dipsticks. 😂

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Found it, thanks.
It is a lil tricky to find and I can see how any of us who are used to traditional locations could miss it. The question does come up quite a bit so don’t think you’re alone.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Are you sure that's the password? Tried it 3 times and it didn't work.

According to GM's "recommendations", they say that the transmission fluid should be changed every 40,000 miles. I'm at 63,500 miles and I do not know if the fluid was replaced at all. I just want to do it now so I don't really have to worry about it for the near future.

Leave it to the Germans to make a transmission fluid filter change difficult.
My manual says change at 40,000 miles under "severe service" only.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Make sure you get the correct ATF. There are 2 different ones for your car (depending on the transmission)
I'd get AMSOIL OE Fuel Efficient ATF because it covers both the AW-1 and Dexron-IV ATF.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
. . . Leave it to the Germans to make a transmission fluid filter change difficult.
If the 23rd Century Germans build the Starship Enterprise, Scotty will have to remove both engine nacelles every 20,000 light years to change the dilithium crystals.

luke_dubs

Macedonia, Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
I bought the transmission fluid recommended earlier in this thread. But, does anyone happen to know how big that torx nut is in the picture? That is where I put new fluid in the transmission (according to the linked repair manual). I might already have the bit; but I still want to know, just in case I do not have the bit.
20190914_191709.jpg

Pedal Commander