Transmission fluid type aw1???

insaneg0ku

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick verano premium
Hey there,

I just bought a 2013 Buick verano premium from a dealer last month and decided to have the transmission flushed because the car has 70k miles and I don't know when it was done last. I consulted the owners manual and it said the fluid type was dexron VI.

When I went to the dealership to have the transmission flushed they quoted me at 200 dollars for the dexron VI fluid change. After I had been sitting there, the mechanic comes back and says that the transmission requires a special fluid called AW1 fluid which is 40 dollars a quart and will cost 600 dollars to flush.

I am very confused and was hoping for clarification on why the owners manual is wrong if the dealership told me differently.

Has anyone else with a verano turbo had this issue?

Thanks

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
The 2013 Verano Owners Manual recommends Transmission Fluid check and service at 97,500 miles.
So your vehicle has most likely NOT had any transmission service unless there has been a prior transmission problem.

I checked ALL of the Verano Model Years Owners Manuals, and in all, the recommended automatic transmission fluid is: DEXRON®-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.

With that being said... There are inaccuracies in these owners manual's that was repeated throughout.

AW-1 Transmission Fluid - The AW stands for Aisin Warner. They make transmissions for multiple vehicle manufacturers. There is probably a good chance that the transmissions in our Verano's were made by AW.

AW-1 Transmission Fluid is ridiculously expensive. AC Delco 10-426 is $32 a quart on Amazon.
So a dealership charging $40 shouldn't be surprising.

Dexron VI is easily found for less than $15qt.

I would check with an independent transmission shop (such as AAMCO) and see what they recommend as transmission fluid and also what they would charge for the Transmission service.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
PS... I checked some of the online auto parts stores. They all come up with DEXRON VI as the trans fluid for the Verano. With that being said... Some are only showing the 2.4L engine as an option, so maybe that is where the confusion is coming in. Maybe the 2.4L automatic transmission is different than the 2.0L Turbo....

insaneg0ku

Buick Ownership
Thanks a lot I appreciate your input. I read that the veranos all have the same 6 speed auto transmission and that's why I was confused. I will confer with another dealership and an aamco and reply with what I come up with.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
The Verano uses GM six-speed transmissions, regardless of engine. The 2.4L is paired with the 6T40 while the 2L uses the 6T50. A major difference between the two is the latter is designed to handle the greater power/torque from the turbo engine.

I think your dealership tried to extract extra money from you by throwing around jargon most customers don't recognize. Aisin makes the eight-speed trans found in some Regals and all TourX wagons and many other vehicles, as Kevin noted. Dex 6 is the way to go for our vehicles.

insaneg0ku

Buick Ownership
Man oh man. The only possible reason I think he could have said the AW1 is maybe a service bulletin went out to help transmission durability. I doubt it though. Thanks for the help

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
You're welcome, insane. I hope you enjoy your Verano! There were two on a classic car site I visit and within a week, both were sold. One was Luxo Blue, my favorite exterior color. I wish Buick had kept around for one more model year.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
When you do get this done let me know how it goes. My wife’s Verano is due soon and I was curious if you would notice any difference in shift quality (not that I think hers is bad now)

insaneg0ku

Buick Ownership
When you do get this done let me know how it goes. My wife’s Verano is due soon and I was curious if you would notice any difference in shift quality (not that I think hers is bad now)
The manager at the Buick dealership actually researched the issue and apologized to me. The AW1 fluid was not necessary and dexron VI was needed. There was no reason that the mechanic said it needed AW1 trans fluid and there were no service bulletin explaining why he said AW1 was better. I had it done at an AAMCO since I didn't want the mechanic I got in trouble to touch my car again.

Maverick7

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just a side note, people should change the fluid on these 6T40 transmissions every 50,000 Km or 30,000 Miles with a better brand of full synthetic fluid as talking to a lot of transmission shops and dealers I was told some of these transmissions "hit or miss" are not built well and they are starting to see more and more vehicles come in with major problems due to lack of maintenance.

Interesting Links:

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.