Transmission/Motor Mount?

Buick Ownership
1992 buick lesabre and 2000 buick park avenue
Hi Guido 1, tried the test this morning and it worked. I let the engine and trans warm up simultaneously as advised. I waited 5 minutes and shifted into Drive and Shaboom was now more like a slight thud, not bad at all. I am going to drive over to John tomorrow and tell him what is going on. I hope he doesn't insist its a mount and that is why I think I will leave it with him overnight so he can see for himself.

Buick Ownership
Guiodo 1, did you change your name since last contact or am I crazy? Shifting it into D has helped tremendously. Shifts into gear much better and then after a few minutes of driving, trans shifts smooth. Going over to John this week to see what is going on. How have you been?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Guiodo 1, name change to "Some banned guy" got into with a forum staff member LOL on the transmission mutiple posts and not sure if he's still around. And to Some banned guy AKA Guiodo 1, thanks for the transmission links. Even if a DIY can't do the repair, having the knowledge before going into a shop always makes it a little easier to understand what's going on.

Buick Ownership
Thanks for letting me know. The guy was so good with me, it makes me wonder about what goes on in this club but I wasn't there so who knows. I will say this, he's the only one that offered any real insight.

Buick Ownership
Here are some shots of the front engine mount. I realize my engine probably looks different from yours. I have polished valve covers, a ported Gen V blower, intercooler, 4" intake, 8 rib belt conversion, 3" pulley, and much much more. The coolant overflow you see mounted by the radiator is for my intercooler.

I'll snap some of the rear mount when I get it in the air later tonight. My ICM just went out.
i never asked with all of that what do you guess is the hp rating at the crank? 240 to what?

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
Probably 375 to 400 at the crank. I keep blowing channel plate gaskets inside the transmission around 6K rpms, so I haven't been able to go to a dyno day yet.
It's also got CNC ported heads with oversized valves, 1.9:1 rockers, balance shaft delete, all oil bores enlarged and polished. Modded oil pickup, modded oil pump. Double roller chain. Fully balanced crank, rods, 5% overdrive SFI damper, and mezeire flex plate. Forged diamond pistons .020" over ceramic coated, L32 rods, All ARP hardware, heads, main studs, exhaust, cross bolted mains, rod bolts. 60lb injectors with AEM 355 E85 pump. The list just keeps going on and on and on.

Buick Ownership
that is crazy man, it goes to show what a skilled and knowledgeable person can do, I think its great. I thought about doing some things but it makes me nervous so I kept it stock. I didn't want to lose any reliability because its my every day ride. Get this: 177,000 miles with the engine never being touched, original alternator, fuel pump, water pump, starter. I changed the plugs and wires and one coil a few thousand miles ago and the ac compressor bearing just went a few hundred miles ago so forget the Toyotas, how come we never hear about these? They are incredible machines.

Did you change the cam? And do you use this Park Avenue as a recreational vehicle being that it is so modified?

I have to do the front motor mount, it is shot. I realize its easy to do but what I need to know is what do I have to do to support it when I remove the mount? I have a 3 ton jack. Do I position it under the transmission pan directly with a piece of wood in between? I need to know the best way to do this part of the project. Basically, where and how to jack it up. I'v never done this before so I want to proceed with caution. I do 70 to 80 percent of my own work so I can now add this as well.

Thanks for helping with this and keep me up to date on the dyno test and other features of your Park Avenue, it sounds like you have accomplished an incredible horse power gain.

Buick Ownership
I forgot to ask one other thing. I have to get a wheel alignment and was wondering why all of these shops seem to always give a four wheel alignment. These cars only have front end or two wheel alignment, no? Seems like a simple question but that what the shops here in NY push. Is it a ripoff?

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
You evidently have what is normally called "morning sickness" caused by leaking internal seals on the input shaft hub. When you first start the car, let it warm up a little, then shift into low gear, or reverse while holding the brake! That will help to apply more pressure to the internal clutch disc. This will not cure the problem, but help you get by until you decide to go for a full rebuilt trans, or replacement.

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
I forgot to ask one other thing. I have to get a wheel alignment and was wondering why all of these shops seem to always give a four wheel alignment. These cars only have front end or two wheel alignment, no? Seems like a simple question but that what the shops here in NY push. Is it a ripoff?
Yes, the 4-wheel alignment is necessary to get all front/rear settings correct on this particular vehicle!

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
AVTechWx3, yeah, a floor jack with a piece of wood under the pan is perfect for taking the tension off the motor mount.

The 4 wheel alignment is because each wheel is completely separately suspended. All 4 have different camber, caster, and toe. (X,Y,Z coordinates on the center of the wheel). A rear wheel drive vehicle with a live, solid rear axle, I.e. truck, muscle car pre-2010, big rig, etc you can only dial in the front wheels as the rear is either straight and aligned with each other and with the body, or off from the body. We have all seen trucks that go down the road with the rear off to one side from the front. That is because of frame or suspension damage offsetting the rear axle from straight to the body. However the tires are always straight(camber, caster, and toe) to each other unless your hubs are shot, the tubes are bent, or other serious damage.

The PAU is my wife's daily driver. It went 225,505 miles before the transmission went out. I rebuilt the trans with all TEP parts and re-gasketed the engine, then spun a rod bearing and chipped a piston the day after I finished due to incorrectly priming the LS style oiling system. So I rebuilt the engine and decided to go "Full Send" on the rebuild. During the tear down I just kept finding more and more busted or dead so I have rebuilt the full suspension, braking system, steering, electrical harness, every engine sensor, complete engine rebuild, complete trans rebuild, internal cabin fixes and more

I got the engine about 80% street tuned, then blew the channel plate gasket out. I fixed it, then blew it again like 1 day later. So I have 1 and 2 in the trans, but nothing else will engage and first is mushy. I keep wanting to do a build post, but I have like 500+ photos and this forum has a 10 per post max hosted here, 25 per post if hosted off site, and photobucket is still not as solid as it used to be. What I would love is a 6 speed manual swap on it, but nobody makes a manual that has the same footprint as the 4T65E-HD.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.