Transmission Problem

wilbur1950

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello,,

I'm new here...good to be a part of this forum. I have a 2011 Buick LaCrosse CXL 6cyl, 6-speed transmission with about 5700 miles. I bought it new in December 2010. For about the last 3000 miles, the transmission has been acting up. Here is the best description I can give: First, the problem seems to be more prevalent when the engine/trans is warm. Upon acceleration, it seems okay until it hits 40 MPH, and then it drops into whatever gear and makes a low, sustained groaning noise. Then when I decelerate down to 40 MPH, it feels like I'm actually braking the car...it's a feeling of being slightly thrown forward in the seat. As it decelerates below 40 MPH, it often makes a pulsating whining sound until I stop. However, it will disappear if I'm coasting at under 40 MPH and throw it into neutral. Once I put it back in drive, it sometimes disappears until I come to a complete stop.

I took the car to the dealer and left it for three days. I told them the same exact things as stated above, but they only drove the car 3 miles roundtrip and said they could not duplicate the owner's complaint. There were no codes set so they bascically said "oh well". I'm confident this problem will not go away and will only get worse over time, and may eventualy lead to total breakdown at the worst possible time.

Can anyone chime in on this? Have you had similar issues? How was it resolved?

Detroit, USA
Hello,,

I'm new here...good to be a part of this forum. I have a 2011 Buick LaCrosse CXL 6cyl, 6-speed transmission with about 5700 miles. I bought it new in December 2010. For about the last 3000 miles, the transmission has been acting up. Here is the best description I can give: First, the problem seems to be more prevalent when the engine/trans is warm. Upon acceleration, it seems okay until it hits 40 MPH, and then it drops into whatever gear and makes a low, sustained groaning noise. Then when I decelerate down to 40 MPH, it feels like I'm actually braking the car...it's a feeling of being slightly thrown forward in the seat. As it decelerates below 40 MPH, it often makes a pulsating whining sound until I stop. However, it will disappear if I'm coasting at under 40 MPH and throw it into neutral. Once I put it back in drive, it sometimes disappears until I come to a complete stop.

I took the car to the dealer and left it for three days. I told them the same exact things as stated above, but they only drove the car 3 miles roundtrip and said they could not duplicate the owner's complaint. There were no codes set so they bascically said "oh well". I'm confident this problem will not go away and will only get worse over time, and may eventualy lead to total breakdown at the worst possible time.

Wilbur1950,

I’ll be sending you a PM for more details.

Thanks,
Laura
Buick Customer Service

doubledo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
2011 Lacrosse
For the first 4000 miles, used to shift smoothly all the way through the gears to 6th gear at 46mph. This gave us an outstanding mileage rating of 22-23. At 4500 miles, would not shift into 6th until 52mph. Most of our roads here are posted at 45 mph so my mileage has dropped considerably. Intelligent response from GM rep is that it "might be due to break in". There is something wrong with the transmission that is escaping dealer and GM Rep scrutiny. Perhaps a faulty speed input sensor for the transmission. Started buying GM since 2006 without many problems. Lucerne, Enclave, and now the Lacrosse. Any suggestions on how to get it fixed or should I cut my losses and get rid of it. Its costing me more money every time I drive because it will only shift to 5th gear when it should be in 6th.

Jljude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Did you get your shifting issue fixed?

I have a 2011, and I have had it to the dealer 5x for vibration on the highway, and erratic shifting transmission. The tranny feels like it downshifts when I brake, which jerks the car and also in low speed, when I let on and off the gas it feels like it is slipping. The dealer said no code so no issues.

Any help would be great.

Detroit, USA
Did you get your shifting issue fixed?

I have a 2011, and I have had it to the dealer 5x for vibration on the highway, and erratic shifting transmission. The tranny feels like it downshifts when I brake, which jerks the car and also in low speed, when I let on and off the gas it feels like it is slipping. The dealer said no code so no issues.

Any help would be great.

Did you have a chance for the service advisor to ride along with you so that you could point out what you were experiencing? I would be happy to look into this for you. Contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN, contact information, current mileage, and dealer name for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

brknnksLacrosse

Buick Ownership
Buick
I am having similar issues with my 2012 Lacrosse Touring V6 downshifting with rpms jumping higher when slowing down and acting weird. I bought he car February 2016 with 65k miles on it. The first time it did it the vehicle lunged so fast forward that I thought was going to rear end the car in front of me when getting off a freeway exit I had to slam on the brakes harder as it felt like they released. They checked it out could nit find anything wrong but did a reset of the transmission control module so that it could reset and relearn driving style. They did that multiple time of this year of me owning it. Seems to be doing more then used to now but not all the time.

January 19th 2017
I am having issues with the vehicle when either coasting to slow down or applying brakes to slow down that you can feel it down shift and see the rpms jump up higher and surging at times. One time going 80 on highway let off gas to slow down for exit and around 72 mph it downshifted on its own and jumped from around 2000 rpm to 4500 rpm without me doing anything. In typical driving conditions on freeway or surface streets it does it too jumping up around 500 rpms when it down shifts and can feel it like surge some. When slowing down you can see the rpms go up and down multiple times between 1000-2000 rpms. They have reset the module to have it help relearn the driving style of the car it had seem to work the few times but not for very long and was back to doing same thing. They recently replaced the trans control module and valve assembly about a week or so ago to see if would correct it but no it still happens. Car has 77k miles on it at the moment. I am thinking that it has other internal issues causing this to happen since replacing module didnt work. Has anyone else encountered this happening.

January 24th 2017
So they had it back today and say nothing is wrong no codes no faults and has newest software so no updates are available. Said 3 people drove it including service manager could not get it to happen for them of course so nothing they could do about it. Of course since it does not happen all the time but thought they would kept it longer to try more driving but they said come pick it up. Guess have to see what does later on.

Seems like they just want to rely on some code computer to tell them everything instead of investigating it more. Like here since no codes well we cant help you type answers. Just not sure how I can go about getting this figured out and corrected so that it doesnt turn into a safety issue.

Detroit, USA
Hello brknnksLacrosse,

We regret to hear of your Lacrosse’s concerns. This is certainly not the experience that we want our customers to have. Unfortunately, we cannot speculate on the technical aspects of your concern as we’re not trained technicians, however we would be happy to reach out to your dealership to gather additional information on your concern and to explore any options that may be available to you. To proceed, please provide us with your full contact information, VIN, and your involved dealership. We’re truly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this situation and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks and have a great day,

Jerel J.
Buick Customer Care

brknnksLacrosse

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello brknnksLacrosse,

We regret to hear of your Lacrosse’s concerns. This is certainly not the experience that we want our customers to have. Unfortunately, we cannot speculate on the technical aspects of your concern as we’re not trained technicians, however we would be happy to reach out to your dealership to gather additional information on your concern and to explore any options that may be available to you. To proceed, please provide us with your full contact information, VIN, and your involved dealership. We’re truly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this situation and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jerel J.
Buick Customer Care

I tried sending a private message but it gives me a error saying you guys have exceed your private message storage limits.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
I tried sending a private message but it gives me a error saying you guys have exceed your private message storage limits.
Typical GM Customer Service, with lack of response & feedback due to "full private messages". Very slow response of the system @ GM to keep up the posting here up to date.

brknnksLacrosse

Buick Ownership
Buick
Was able to hook up with the Buick Customer Service on here and get a second opinion on the issues with it being checked out by another dealership. The dealership said its normal operation and everything checks out to be within spec. Along with them driving a used 2011 on their lot they say it did the same thing. Its irritating but not sure what to do really since everyone says its normal. Would love to sell it and be done but these things suck at holding value I am coming to find out by seeing what its worth to compared to what I owe after just now 1 year of owning it.

Cat Mechanic

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello brknnksLacrosse,

Jerel J.
Buick Customer Care

Good Morning,

My Girlfriend has a 2008 Lacrosse, 35,000 miles with the same problems that most on this forum have and forums on other sites. The problem is well know to GM, the 4T65 transmission. Not the best transmission on the market for sure. The instant that the car warms up, all movement is gone F or R. The oil is at the correct level, no burnt smell. I dropped the pan, it looked like a Jimi Hendrix video in the pan, mostly gray in color, most of the debris, fine grindings, would jump to the magnet. I removed the filter, removed the plastic cover, the media was plugged with the same fine grindings and some larger shiny magnetic chips. I put a new filter and oil in it. She drove it home, about 12 miles, where it now is dead, again, in the driveway. It seems that our local radio station here in Syracuse hosts the Car Care Clinic show on Saturday mornings. They have heard many stories about this defective 4T65 transmission. I'm told that if the car is out of warranty, GM does not want to know you. Great.

BuickLacrosse

Out in the sticks
Buick Ownership
2006 LaCrosse CX 3.8L
The only thing you can do to fix the tranny problems is install a large, external cooler (in front of the rad) and add a jug of LubeGard. The factory cooler is too small.

Kippj

Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lacrosse
Hello,,

H
Hello,,

Same problem with my 2010 every morning downshifts at 40mph I have to pull over cut car off then it works

G-885171

I am having similar issues with my 2012 Lacrosse Touring V6 downshifting with rpms jumping higher when slowing down and acting weird. I bought he car February 2016 with 65k miles on it. The first time it did it the vehicle lunged so fast forward that I thought was going to rear end the car in front of me when getting off a freeway exit I had to slam on the brakes harder as it felt like they released. They checked it out could nit find anything wrong but did a reset of the transmission control module so that it could reset and relearn driving style. They did that multiple time of this year of me owning it. Seems to be doing more then used to now but not all the time.

January 19th 2017
I am having issues with the vehicle when either coasting to slow down or applying brakes to slow down that you can feel it down shift and see the rpms jump up higher and surging at times. One time going 80 on highway let off gas to slow down for exit and around 72 mph it downshifted on its own and jumped from around 2000 rpm to 4500 rpm without me doing anything. In typical driving conditions on freeway or surface streets it does it too jumping up around 500 rpms when it down shifts and can feel it like surge some. When slowing down you can see the rpms go up and down multiple times between 1000-2000 rpms. They have reset the module to have it help relearn the driving style of the car it had seem to work the few times but not for very long and was back to doing same thing. They recently replaced the trans control module and valve assembly about a week or so ago to see if would correct it but no it still happens. Car has 77k miles on it at the moment. I am thinking that it has other internal issues causing this to happen since replacing module didnt work. Has anyone else encountered this happening.

January 24th 2017
So they had it back today and say nothing is wrong no codes no faults and has newest software so no updates are available. Said 3 people drove it including service manager could not get it to happen for them of course so nothing they could do about it. Of course since it does not happen all the time but thought they would kept it longer to try more driving but they said come pick it up. Guess have to see what does later on.

Seems like they just want to rely on some code computer to tell them everything instead of investigating it more. Like here since no codes well we cant help you type answers. Just not sure how I can go about getting this figured out and corrected so that it doesnt turn into a safety issue.
I have the same issue. Did you find a reason

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners