Transmission problem?

lhiggins76

Buick Newbie
Buick
I bought my Buick Verano on 4/12/12. I have had numerous small and some big problems over the last 4 years. OnStar issues, battery died within first 6 months, many electrical problems, needed new keys fobs, parking brake problems...the list goes on. From the beginning I noticed my car would jerk when switching gears, this would happen intermittently about 2-3 times a month. It would happen quickly and you never knew when, dealership stated this was normal and nothing they could do because it would never happen when it was in for service for the numerous issues or maintenance. Well, my car died the day before it's 4th birthday. I noticed many shifting problems on my 30 mile drive to work, upon going up a hill the car would not go above 40 mph. When I came to a red stop light, all the dash lights started blinking and when the light turned green the car would not go into gear. All I could do was coast into a parking lot, which thank goodness there was somewhere to stop and park the car. After waiting 2.5 hours for Buick roadside assistance, (told 45 mins when I called) in a very highly populated area which should provide quicker service, I was towed 2 miles to a dealership. It has now been 2 days and no one can tell me what is wrong with my car, I keep getting the run around and they say there is no diagnosis yet. Well, at 4 years old and 61k miles my car seems to have MAJOR problems. I am sure that this is a transmission problem, which should be covered under the powertrain warranty...but will GM take responsibility? Ironically my husband's GMC Terrain had oil consumption problems at 60k and they had to replace the entire engine. Not sure GM is making quality cars anymore. Has anyone else had transmission problems like this??

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Oh man, no issues at all. Make sure all of your past visits and issues relayed to the dealer are documented. You may need to take this up the chain to ensure your warranty will be honored.

lhiggins76

Buick Newbie
Buick
So...turns out there is an internal failure in the transmission. Been looking at the car for hours and cannot determine the exact problem. They must tear down the entire transmission to determine problem and whether to rebuild or replace., this will take 2-3 days. This is covered under the power train warranty, thank goodness, but still leaves me feeling betrayed by GM. This is the second vehicle I have owned in the past 3 years that at around 60k that needed a MAJOR powertrain replacement. Both vehicles had all required maintenance done and were well taken care of, this is a design issue no question. Now to wait and see...

- - - Updated - - -

I have everything documented by dealerships and have many notes with dates of my own listing all the problems. Looks as though they are going to stand behind the powertrain warranty, but we shall see. I will in no way pay for this repair, as it is clearly a design problem!

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
It sounds like you're assuming the worse/projecting. 99.99% of transmission issues are power train warranty serviced. It's a sealed unit, very little we as owners can do to affect it that would void the warranty. So relax. :)

If they've given you a rental (standard practice?) then they're already doing everything they reasonably can.

As far as reliability, there's a lot of rankings and independent companies that track that stuff, and GM is ahead of the other domestic makers. Sounds like bad luck or driving habits. That's why the warranty is there. Better luck with your next, non-GM (?) vehicle.

if you feel they're not doing something right, reach out to the customer service agent on this forum. Search for 'customer service'. They also have an 800 number you can call.

Detroit, USA
So...turns out there is an internal failure in the transmission. Been looking at the car for hours and cannot determine the exact problem. They must tear down the entire transmission to determine problem and whether to rebuild or replace., this will take 2-3 days. This is covered under the power train warranty, thank goodness, but still leaves me feeling betrayed by GM. This is the second vehicle I have owned in the past 3 years that at around 60k that needed a MAJOR powertrain replacement. Both vehicles had all required maintenance done and were well taken care of, this is a design issue no question. Now to wait and see...

- - - Updated - - -

I have everything documented by dealerships and have many notes with dates of my own listing all the problems. Looks as though they are going to stand behind the powertrain warranty, but we shall see. I will in no way pay for this repair, as it is clearly a design problem!
Hello lhiggins76,

We regret to hear that you’ve experienced these difficulties with the transmission in your Verano. However, we’re glad to know your dealership is diligently working with you towards a positive resolution. As some other members of the forum have mentioned, please keep in mind that we are here to provide an additional layer of support while your vehicle is in for service if you would like. Feel free to send us a private message if we can be of assistance.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care

BUVER12AK

Buick Newbie
Juneau, Alaska
2012 Verano
I have a 2012 Buick Verano with 39,000 miles and I live in a harch climate. Never have had a problem. Where I live there isn't a Buick dealership.
Only a Chevrolet dealer. I have talked to Buick and they say I can use the Chevrolet dealer. Trouble is I would have to pay them then hope I get payed back by Buick. I have owned about 6 Buicks and never had any problems except with a 2006 Lacrosse. Good Luck.

HotZ28

1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
GM warranty is good at any GM dealer. Some are better than others, so you may have to get a second, or third opinion!

Socrates76

Buick Newbie
South Carolina
Buick
Interesting post. I own a 2013 Buick Verano which i purchased brand new. @48,500 miles I am now having a transmission issue. My dealership left a very sour taste in my yesterday. I called Monday morning to schedule an appt. for Tuesday, May 10th. I explained how my car was not shifting/taking off correctly. Also that while in drive, on an incline the car would roll backwards. I know for a fact this should not be happening. This vehicle is equipped with a feature called Hill Assist which should prevent this from happening. After their inspection, I was told no issues where found regarding my concerns. I was then promptly informed that although they found nothing wrong, your car is due for these regularly scheduled services. Brake fluid flush & Fuel injection cleaning. I agreed to these services because I take VERY good care of my vehicle. Once those services were completed, my vehicle was returned to me. I asked the service writer, "Is everything o.k. with the Hill Assist? His reply was "Yeah, everything's fine." Then he gave me some b.s. crap about how he's been doing this for 18+yrs and cars tend to evolve with a person over time. That to me , right there, was the brush off. So, I left the dealership at about 1 pm and proceeded to drive my car, which I should not have done. Because in all actuality, they never addressed the initial issue for me bringing in the car. I end up returning to the dealer at 4:30 pm & having to leave my car. And I had to leave without a rental which leaves me without transportation. I am disabled & I am self-employed, which means my vehicle is my lifeline. No vehicle means I can't make money, which in turn means i can't pay my bills. I can't wait to receive the survey that they always send. I wonder if I will even get one this time. I apologize if this seemed to turn into a rant at any time, I'm just highly disappointed at the service from my dealership.

****an update will follow****

g_195118

i dont have dealership were im at to deal with me 2013 buick verano..
ive let a mechanic looked at it it sames the the transmission control module come faulty in these verano and it causes my car to jerk and accelerates low...
but the tcm is almost 600.00

G-488738

Terrible. Every problem everyone in hear similarly has is not coincidental every dealer even try’s staying away from the regals(my personal Buick) saying they have terrible engines it just seems like it can’t be prevented and nothing can be done once the damage is done

Scorpio4u2c

2016 Buick Verano Convenience
I don't have dealership were I'm at to deal with me 2013 buick verano..
ive let a mechanic looked at it it sames the the transmission control module come faulty in these verano and it causes my car to jerk and accelerates low...
but the tcm is almost 600.00
I recently bought a used 2016 Verano Convenience 37K+. Good to know about the TCM as suspect, I kind of figured that or other components that are possibly related to that issue. My experience has been much the same. Overly sensitive throttle input, transmission jerkiness when automatically downshifting, especially after slowing down and having to come back on the throttle light to medium. Otherwise tranmission seems to shift relatively smooth. Some light throttle inputs during the above mentioned issues, can alleviate some of the transmission jerkiness, but still annoying. I've also noticed that there is a slight hesitation or delay when accelerating all the time. It still has a transmission and engine warranty. I took it to a San Jose CA dealership, Buick GMC just to see what their resolve would be, and I wasn't surprised. Not revealing my auto repair knowledge, we took it for a spin, he drove, his converstation was more personal than on the subject matter. When we got back, I got the historic answer of bullshit, "Seems to be doing whats normal" and asked if I wanted to leave it. So rather than leaving it and only returning to, "Transmission operation normal" I refused. I will go back to another dealership closer to my home, after I research the issue further, at least if there is a problem I would have already taken it in before the end of the warranty. I'd like to hear more of this issue from others as well. Peace.

Enrique Aguilar

Customer
Hello lhiggins76,

We regret to hear that you’ve experienced these difficulties with the transmission in your Verano. However, we’re glad to know your dealership is diligently working with you towards a positive resolution. As some other members of the forum have mentioned, please keep in mind that we are here to provide an additional layer of support while your vehicle is in for service if you would like. Feel free to send us a private message if we can be of assistance.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care
So theres not much a regular mecanic shop can do to help these customers right? They need to go to the dealer for warranty work? Im asking because a customer just dropped one off to me. My email is enriquecenter@aol.com

Enrique Aguilar

Customer
Need urgent help here, so everyone here seems to have the same issue as i with my customers 2013 Buick Verano, Tranny shifts hard and just isnt right, throttles high every once in a while also. So my question is, why is there no answer to the problem, why is Buick quiet and not responsive to the problem? Do they really not care of their customers satisfaction or what? What is it gonna take to be listend to and solve our issues? Is there a fix to this problem us small mecanic shops can do for your customers cars Buick?

Jbarpro

Verono
Need urgent help here, so everyone here seems to have the same issue as i with my customers 2013 Buick Verano, Tranny shifts hard and just isnt right, throttles high every once in a while also. So my question is, why is there no answer to the problem, why is Buick quiet and not responsive to the problem? Do they really not care of their customers satisfaction or what? What is it gonna take to be listend to and solve our issues? Is there a fix to this problem us small mecanic shops can do for your customers cars Buick?
I also have a 2013 verano. I bought it with 9k miles on it in 2016. Last year it left me stranded on the side the road twice. Has been in the shop 4 times in 2019 alone. Going back again on Thursday to make sure my transmission is not going bad. Granted I now have 94,000 miles on it but it has been nothing but problems since I got it with 9,000 miles. But I wanted to search if other people had the problems I was and low and behold, seems to be a reoccurring thing with the 2013 veronos. I agree with you, why aren't they taking accountability for this.

Turbo Buick Badge