Transmission Question

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
I know the TourX does not have a sport button. However, it seems very reluctant to kick down just one gear. When trying to accelerate, whether around town or on the highway, it seems like the transmission wants to either lug around or drop two years and pull. I'm wondering if I need to retrain the shift logic in the car since it drove it easy for the first 500 miles as directed by the owners manual. I'm currently at 1200 miles.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I know the TourX does not have a sport button. However, it seems very reluctant to kick down just one gear. When trying to accelerate, whether around town or on the highway, it seems like the transmission wants to either lug around or drop two years and pull. I'm wondering if I need to retrain the shift logic in the car since it drove it easy for the first 500 miles as directed by the owners manual. I'm currently at 1200 miles.
That’s how it’s programmed. I don’t think any retraining would change anything.

You have to use manual mode if you want more gear grinding granularity.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
My experience with the turbo 2.0 in that ATS is that it loves to lug. The engine is biased towards low-end torque to begin with, and holding higher gears also helps with fuel economy. So it's easier for the engine computer to add boost and hold the higher gear, rather than downshift and just have it run out of breath in a couple of thousand revs anyhow.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
My experience with the turbo 2.0 in that ATS is that it loves to lug. The engine is biased towards low-end torque to begin with, and holding higher gears also helps with fuel economy. So it's easier for the engine computer to add boost and hold the higher gear, rather than downshift and just have it run out of breath in a couple of thousand revs anyhow.
Not sure if you had a 15 or after ATS with more tq. but between the TourX and CTS even in normal mode was wayyy more responsive with 6 gears then with 8 in Buick. My ATS was very light, having only option turbo PKG with Brembos, would probably give my GP GXP a run for it's money till turbo4 runs out of breath, LS4 V8 pretty strong.13830

Last edited:

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Not sure if you had a 15 or after ATS with more tq. but between the TourX and CTS even in normal mode was wayyy more responsive with 6 gears then with 8 in Buick.
It's a Buick station wagon... It cruises around in 7th gear unless you put your foot into it. Sure, if I had the option to up all the shift points by 1k RPM, I would.

The car still reacts fine to spirited driving, and I suspect it even has a secondary transmission shift pattern that seems to get triggered when I'm zipping around a bit.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
It's a Buick station wagon... It cruises around in 7th gear unless you put your foot into it. Sure, if I had the option to up all the shift points by 1k RPM, I would.

The car still reacts fine to spirited driving, and I suspect it even has a secondary transmission shift pattern that seems to get triggered when I'm zipping around a bit.
I just know if I need to go in TourX ....better just mash it.

FavaBean

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I test drove 2 TourX's @ 2 different dealers. The first test drive was nearly a deal breaker for me as that car lugged and DID NOT want to downshift (the same complaint of many write-ups).

However, the TourX I own, a small quick movement to the throttle downshifts nicely. And a 2nd larger throttle kick will downshift another gear in most cases. Simply stated, it reacts as expected.

These turbo engines have a lot of torque. Between 2500-4500 rpm is the money zone. Anything higher, the 8 speed takes too long between shifts when flooring it.

For a jack-rabbit start, manual mode is a must. It's quickest when you shift at 4K RPM because by the time the slow tranny registers the shift, the tach is already reading 5K or higher.

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
This engine is torquey like the 2.0 DIT in my GTI/GLI but turned up to 11; I want to say the torque curve was flat from 1900-5000 rpm and it ran out of steam after that. Anyway, I've found that on back roads you can hustle the TourX a bit and surf the torque curve while the transmission short-shifts. However, for passing maneuvers or rush-hour driving the transmission and throttle programming need a sport mode to really take advantage of that torquey engine.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
This is from the Car & Driver review of the TourX. Evidently there's a problem with the 8 speed transmission and GM is replacing it with the 9 speed transmission since the 8 speed has issues.

The TourX has its own gearbox woes. The eight-speed automatic upshifts as early as it can, often lugging the engine below 2000 rpm in seventh or eighth gear, as if following the commands of some phantom eco mode. But the TourX has no such setting—nor any sport mode, although it surely could use one. At most cruising speeds, the TourX feels as if it has half its horsepower, with anything less than mashing the accelerator producing only a lethargic climb in revs. When the transmission does eventually downshift, it rarely snaps cleanly into the appropriate second or third gear without first landing at some intermediate step along the way. The solution is to shift it yourself, which means prodding the gearshift lever fore and aft, as the TourX lacks paddle shifters. Even then, shifts are sedately delivered, leaving the driver plenty of time to ponder why this transmission is in this car. The answer: Buick reps have said that the Aisin eight-speed is just a stopgap measure until it can start using GM’s nine-speed unit, perhaps as early as next year.

Rb0891

There's even a lawsuit pending because GM can't fix the issues with the 8 speed trans. When you read the last paragraph I'm sure it will make you TourX owners very angry. I know I would be, that is totally uncalled for.

The GM vehicles are equipped with GM 8L45 or 8L90 automatic transmissions that allegedly hesitate when drivers accelerate or decelerate. Drivers claim the transmissions can shift so hard it feels like being hit by another vehicle. One owner claims the GM transmission shifted from REVERSE to DRIVE so harshly the vehicle almost went through the garage door.

Every "fix" offered by the automaker has allegedly failed to repair the shaking, shuddering and jerking, and the plaintiffs claim both the torque converters and transmissions cause problems with the hydraulic systems and gears.

Court documents claim metal shavings allegedly circulate throughout the transmissions and damage the components. Additionally, the plaintiffs claim the 8-speed transmissions cause consumers to face expensive repairs to flush the systems, and to replace the valve bodies, torque converters and finally the transmissions.

According to the proposed class-action lawsuit, General Motors has allegedly known about the 8-speed transmission problems because the automaker has issued multiple versions of technical service bulletins (TSBs) about the transmissions.

GM dealers have been told to perform certain repairs to fix the transmission issues, including performing the “clutch drive learn procedure, replace the valve body, replace the entire transmission, flush the cooler lines and cooler, remove debris from and clean the transmission pan, replace the transmission filter, replace the transmission fluid, and flush the transmission."

The lawsuit alleges no fix works and GM is fully aware of it, something allegedly reflected on repair orders. The plaintiffs say repair notes indicate, “GM is aware of concern and a release date of late January/February to correct issue.” Another repair order allegedly said, “no repair available until quarter 1 in 2019.”

According to the lawsuit, General Motors is doing nothing but stalling, buying time until vehicle warranties expire. The automaker also allegedly conceals from consumers the serious problems with the 8-speed transmissions even though dealers have been told.
Non ideal shifting aside, I dont think those are the same transmissions.

Rb0891

There's even a lawsuit pending because GM can't fix the issues with the 8 speed trans. When you read the last paragraph I'm sure it will make you TourX owners very angry. I know I would be, that is totally uncalled for.

The GM vehicles are equipped with GM 8L45 or 8L90 automatic transmissions that allegedly hesitate when drivers accelerate or decelerate. Drivers claim the transmissions can shift so hard it feels like being hit by another vehicle. One owner claims the GM transmission shifted from REVERSE to DRIVE so harshly the vehicle almost went through the garage door.

Every "fix" offered by the automaker has allegedly failed to repair the shaking, shuddering and jerking, and the plaintiffs claim both the torque converters and transmissions cause problems with the hydraulic systems and gears.

Court documents claim metal shavings allegedly circulate throughout the transmissions and damage the components. Additionally, the plaintiffs claim the 8-speed transmissions cause consumers to face expensive repairs to flush the systems, and to replace the valve bodies, torque converters and finally the transmissions.

According to the proposed class-action lawsuit, General Motors has allegedly known about the 8-speed transmission problems because the automaker has issued multiple versions of technical service bulletins (TSBs) about the transmissions.

GM dealers have been told to perform certain repairs to fix the transmission issues, including performing the “clutch drive learn procedure, replace the valve body, replace the entire transmission, flush the cooler lines and cooler, remove debris from and clean the transmission pan, replace the transmission filter, replace the transmission fluid, and flush the transmission."

The lawsuit alleges no fix works and GM is fully aware of it, something allegedly reflected on repair orders. The plaintiffs say repair notes indicate, “GM is aware of concern and a release date of late January/February to correct issue.” Another repair order allegedly said, “no repair available until quarter 1 in 2019.”

According to the lawsuit, General Motors is doing nothing but stalling, buying time until vehicle warranties expire. The automaker also allegedly conceals from consumers the serious problems with the 8-speed transmissions even though dealers have been told.
Those are GM built units. Not the Aisin.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Anyone want to bet the car will get killed off before it gets a 9-speed?

Now that I know the finess of the 8-speed kickdown, I don't mind it as much. It's also easy enough to throw it into manual mode in the rare instances I need to control the revs/acceleration better.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I mentioned in another thread how I'm not too crazy about lugging around in 7th gear at 40 mph on my local country/small town roads. The only way out is to move to manual shifting which is fine, except I'd rather the auto transmission be in the optimal gear for the speed and not geared as much for optimal MPG (we already have the auto/stop for that!)

Last edited:

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate a paddle shift set up. I remember the BMW triptronic trans from the 2000s that was a fairly common bolt on modification.

As for the other GM 8 speed, I’m the proud owner of that one as well, in my Sierra Denali. I had a hard shifting issue and thought I’d get in front of it at 10k miles, dealer dropped the fluid and “reset”. Now the shifting is better and I have the shudder. Can’t win.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
This is from the Car & Driver review of the TourX. Evidently there's a problem with the 8 speed transmission and GM is replacing it with the 9 speed transmission since the 8 speed has issues.

The TourX has its own gearbox woes. The eight-speed automatic upshifts as early as it can, often lugging the engine below 2000 rpm in seventh or eighth gear, as if following the commands of some phantom eco mode. But the TourX has no such setting—nor any sport mode, although it surely could use one. At most cruising speeds, the TourX feels as if it has half its horsepower, with anything less than mashing the accelerator producing only a lethargic climb in revs. When the transmission does eventually downshift, it rarely snaps cleanly into the appropriate second or third gear without first landing at some intermediate step along the way. The solution is to shift it yourself, which means prodding the gearshift lever fore and aft, as the TourX lacks paddle shifters. Even then, shifts are sedately delivered, leaving the driver plenty of time to ponder why this transmission is in this car. The answer: Buick reps have said that the Aisin eight-speed is just a stopgap measure until it can start using GM’s nine-speed unit, perhaps as early as next year.
You should have bought a Volvo wagon, oops, sorry it has the same transmission. Maybe different programming from a Trifecta tune will fix this.
The Aisin tranny is supposed to be smooth, not quick shifting.
Similar transmission that is in Toyota (Sienna, Hylander,AWF8G45) New 8-speed and 10-speed Automatic Transmissions (Direct Shift-8AT & Direct Shift-10AT) | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

Aisin 8-Speed FWD Transaxles - Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, GM (AWF8F45) https://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/products/drivetrain/at/index.html

https://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/products/drivetrain/lineup/at.html

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX

You notice the PAL(performance algorithm logic) courtesy Cadillac too?

I was surprised others did feel the difference too?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.