Transmission quirks

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I think all if not most of us can agree that the trans in the TourX is not well tuned. But I don't want this thread to be about the well known lugging issue I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing odd behavior like me in an effort to determine if there are other common quirks to the tuning or if some other problems.

The first thing I noticed was under "normal" acceleration from a stop up a slight incline the car resists shifting to the next gear around 3k. When it does resist this shift it acts more like a CVT; I think the speed is still increasing slightly but the rpms hang. It seems like the trans is trying to lengthen the shift to make it smoother but it just seems weird.

On the opposite side of things I find the car down shifts hard and quick if I am slightly braking going down and incline. So aggressively that it feels like I hit the brake pedal harder. It seems to do this on most declines regardless of grade.

Finally I have had a few instances where the trans slammed into gear. Most commonly this seems to happen when you are on and off the throttle in traffic moving say under 10mph. Sometimes the slam hits when you get back on the gas other times as I lift. Most recently it happened when I was approaching a red light doing around 30mph coasting, when the light turned green I tipped in a little and it slammed. Kind of feels like when a car is in neutral and gets dropped in gear.

Is anyone else experiencing behavior like this or other odd things?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I've experienced all of the above on rare occasions and nothing I consider violent. The Aisin 8 speed in my wifes Sienna seems a little more sorted than TourX, but it still acts up, and I can make the otherwise fine 10 speed tranny in the 5.0L F-150 hiccup also.
Generally I think the Aisin works fine in rural driving. Response in stop and go is not snappy.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
The 9 speed also works similarly. Seems to be a quirk of these transmissions with a high number of gears. As I've learned how it works I've gotten better at modulating the gas to minimize the hiccups.

The CVT-like feel is probably the tuning of the torque converter to smooth out the shifts.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I've had it slam into gear a few times, all at lower speeds.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Guess I'm used to engine braking due to owning a DMAX Silverado. The quirks for me are upshifts, especially after ASS in stop and go rush hour traffic or an area with a lot of lights. 1-2 is always super quick with 2-3 almost feeling like a slip. 3-4 almost always feels like a slam into gear. I was going to really try to hold off on getting the Trifecta tune, but the trans behavior may change my mind.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Ok...I guess in a way I am glad to hear others have these weird shifting issues and it isn't necessarily something wrong with my car. It would be interesting to know if the Insignia has similar issues or not. Not even sure if they use the same trans but wondering if this is just a Buick tuning issue.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I experience the weird "CVT" feeling sometimes during the 2-3 shift. I figure it's just the tranny trying to be smooth. Too smooth?

As for sporadic rough shifts, I've yet to have an automatic transmission in a car that didn't slam into gear in some rare situations.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I have none of these problems. I guess I got a good one. Aisen makes a good transmission.

Only one thing I wish was better. Car has very little Engine Braking. When I want to slow down by gearing down, it does not.

God help us if I want to Engine Brake going down a mountain road.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
This is my first auto as a daily driver but I have put quite a few miles on my wife's truck and have only experienced a rough shift two or three times. I have probably had it happen twice as many times in the TourX in 1/10 the miles.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I have none of these problems. I guess I got a good one. Aisen makes a good transmission.

Only one thing I wish was better. Car has very little Engine Braking. When I want to slow down by gearing down, it does not.

Wow...that is really strange. Mine does engine brake though not as much as my wife's truck going down the mountain if you are basically maintaining speed. But if I am slowing down it shifts hard...maybe it is the 3-2 shift. I will have to try to pay more attention.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

I have not experienced any of these quirks either. The shifts are slow, but never jerky or slamming into any gears. This trans reminds me of the one that is in the current Cruze I had a couple years ago; slow, but smooth and efficient.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I will see if the dash cam records anything, I think it might pick up the sudden downshift or slamming on the accelerometer.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Wow...that is really strange. Mine does engine brake though not as much as my wife's truck going down the mountain if you are basically maintaining speed. But if I am slowing down it shifts hard...maybe it is the 3-2 shift. I will have to try to pay more attention.
Cruise control affects how the trans engine brakes, me I just like to roll and take advantage of gravity.:giggle:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Tranny seems to work fine except for being eco lazy and needing WOT to convince it....it is time to go.

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
Mine gets jerky in slow traffic. It is also harsh when it starts from a traffic light stop, so it is best to tap the breaks to restart it before actually going. It is a minor annoyance. Acceleration is butter smooth though.