Transmissions

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Just a reminder.

Although both the Tour-X AWD and Sportback FWD are made in Germany (Opal plant owned by Peugeot) and they both use the same AMERICAN made engine, they use different transmissions.

Tour-X uses an 8 Speed made in Japan. (Aisen
I think, but could be wrong).

Sportback uses a 9 Speed made in Mexico. (I think it's a ZF but not sure).

Love my 8 Speed Aisens.
I've had Aisen transmissions since my 2007 MKZ. Never had problems.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Yesterday going down mountain was first time really put trans, in manual mode. Worked well but I am use to autos that have half as many gears. With 2 overdrive gears you have to downshift like 4 gears to get engine braking, but worked great.
LJ

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Is nine speed in AWD GS, to lazy to look up..

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Yes, the only AWD Regal with the 9-speed is the GS. And given how low selling this car is, I'd be amazed to see GM change that.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
If I remembered correctly, the Regal 2.0T FWD uses a GM 9T50 9-speed transmission while the GS uses a GM 9T65 9-speed transmission. They have different load ratings with 9T65 being designed to work under a little more load.

9T series tramissions are not ZF and they are GM's own design. IMO the 9T65 in my car works almost flawlessly, in GS and Sport mode the transmission gets the accurate gearing according to what I need, and even in default mode I can almost control which gear I'm in by throttle movement. Slightly following up throttle while accelerating can lock the car in the current gear and make a great sound from the V6.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Yes, the only AWD Regal with the 9-speed is the GS. And given how low selling this car is, I'd be amazed to see GM change that.
I assume GM used the Aisin 8 speed because the 9 speed wasn't ready for the launch of the Insignia in Europe. All automatic Insignias (FWD and AWD) use the 8 speed. I was also expecting that GM would eventually switch over to the 9 speed globally. However with the sale to PSA there's a chance that might not happen to avoid any further investment in the vehicle.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.