Trifecta Or BNR Tune?

jas16gs

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
Sorry hijacking your thread I was about to ask the same question lol picking up a 16 GS on Monday and want to get it tuned. Thanks for asking about the springs too also on the list :p

sweetness34

Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
Regal Turbo
I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone have a comparison from a dyno? I'd also like to see a head to head race between the two tunes.

Skywagon

Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm learning one thing. Unless you have the AWD version putting even the stock power to the FWD only cars, at slower speeds, causes wheel spin. Unfortunately the AWD version was about 3K more expensive. Have no idea how to overcome that.....slicks on the front wheels? (that's a joke?)

Skywagon

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks. I'm leaning towards BNR. Wish they would put their phone number on their web site. Trifecta, I think, sends you a file and cable to use with your laptop. It appears BNR does differently?

rodslinger

Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
14 Regal GS
Thanks. I'm leaning towards BNR. Wish they would put their phone number on their web site. Trifecta, I think, sends you a file and cable to use with your laptop. It appears BNR does differently?
BNR will get back to you pretty quick. When you contact them you are speaking with them direct. No third party.

And BNR uses a handheld tuner so you don't need a laptop. You can put several tunes on the device and the actual programming is pretty darn quick. I can pull it out of the glovebox and re-flash back to stock before the car is done filling up with gas. I use the same handheld for my Sonic and my Regal.

BNR will also customize the tune a lot more for your particular needs. I'm thinking he can even reduce peak available torque in first gear to help prevent wheel spin. For me I asked him to keep throttle sensitivity and torque demand the same as stock up until about 60% pedal command. The extra power doesn't start to build until after that. Doing that kept it just as easy to drive as it was stock and you don't get into the extra power unless you WANT it.

I think this was the perfect solution and better executed than what I've experienced on Trifecta and the select-a-tune. The car is still perfectly docile in normal conditions but will get on it when you ask it to. I can let anyone drive it and not worry about the car being temperamental just driving to the store. With BNR, you don't have to tame it by turning "off" the tune and then having that hair-trigger throttle in power mode. It can be quite erratic to drive that way and was frustrating on many occasions.

Plus the handheld device itself is part of the initial tune cost. End up trading for another GM car down the road and you can probably just buy the actual tune file, license, use your existing handheld and save some $$$.

Smithy

Buick Ownership
2017 regal premium 1 awd
BNR will get back to you pretty quick. When you contact them you are speaking with them direct. No third party.

And BNR uses a handheld tuner so you don't need a laptop. You can put several tunes on the device and the actual programming is pretty darn quick. I can pull it out of the glovebox and re-flash back to stock before the car is done filling up with gas. I use the same handheld for my Sonic and my Regal.

BNR will also customize the tune a lot more for your particular needs. I'm thinking he can even reduce peak available torque in first gear to help prevent wheel spin. For me I asked him to keep throttle sensitivity and torque demand the same as stock up until about 60% pedal command. The extra power doesn't start to build until after that. Doing that kept it just as easy to drive as it was stock and you don't get into the extra power unless you WANT it.

I think this was the perfect solution and better executed than what I've experienced on Trifecta and the select-a-tune. The car is still perfectly docile in normal conditions but will get on it when you ask it to. I can let anyone drive it and not worry about the car being temperamental just driving to the store. With BNR, you don't have to tame it by turning "off" the tune and then having that hair-trigger throttle in power mode. It can be quite erratic to drive that way and was frustrating on many occasions.

Plus the handheld device itself is part of the initial tune cost. End up trading for another GM car down the road and you can probably just buy the actual tune file, license, use your existing handheld and save some $$$.

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
I'm learning one thing. Unless you have the AWD version putting even the stock power to the FWD only cars, at slower speeds, causes wheel spin. Unfortunately the AWD version was about 3K more expensive. Have no idea how to overcome that.....slicks on the front wheels? (that's a joke?)
Yes, the AWD is more expensive but sadly no manual transmission offered

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
What are your 1/4 Mile readings after the tune for BNR and Trifecta, just curious
I have purchased several tunes for my turbo vehicles over the years, but have yet to take a single car to the track for time trials. I have never paid for a dyno test. Sorry that I cant answer your question but perhaps it might be helpful to let you know that for me, tunes were purchased to make my daily driver vehicle more enjoyable, more “daily driveable” if you follow me. Therefore I only get tunes that gently stretch the engine internals and ever so slightly boost the turbo because again... its my daily driver that I depend on and not a track car and i am looking to race anyone. If i was going to really care all that much about crazy HP gains etc, I would have a custom tune locally created for me to run the track and it would be a serious hobby, and an expensive one too LOL.
I just want to enjoy my commute to the grocery store a little more and not worry about blown engines or fighting with the stealership about warranty issues but to each their own (y)

seafarer61

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
^ Same for me. I've owned a 500-hp 2001 Camaro SS', Grand National, a sponsored Honda S2000, 200+ hp Abarth, tuned Alfa GTV6, etc. The list is long. More than 30 sportscars since 1981. In the past, the ownership path for most of my rides was "buy, tune, drive and eventually sell." This time out, while I wait 2-3 years to reward my retirement with a low mileage, off-lease Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, I just wanted a saloon that from the get-go, was quite sufficient all on its own with no absolute necessity to go down that rabbit hole of modifications and I definitely didn't want to see myself coming and going (Q50, C300, etc) so enter the GS. Granted, I'm nearing 60-years of age and the mod bug has passed. If I was younger, no doubt this GS would likely have six or seven ingredients added to Buick's recipe but in stock form, my '16 is a stout challenger however it didn't take long after purchase to realize I wasn't going to be content with the stock engagement points from the transmission and felt it really needed about 50-60 more ponies and some computer-work to get the daily livability where I wanted it. Enter the base Trifecta tune and couldn't be happier. The transparency feature is a Godsend. I'm not drag racing, street racing, road course rallying, etc nor an owner in search of every last pony (where other tunes might be advantageous) but in and around my stomping grounds, the Trifecta tune brings the car to life, so to speak and I could not recommend it more highly. Shift engagements are crisp and in "flick mode," as I call it, sans paddles shifters, it's a stump puller. Now, it's the kind of ride that will have you drive 30 minutes outside of town for a half gallon of milk.
I'm sure the BNR is every bit as nice as others have reported but for this fella, I'm quite satisfied with the job Trifecta did in massaging my Buick into something Cadillac would find annoying. :p

Last edited:

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
^ Same for me. I've owned a 500-hp 2001 Camaro SS', Grand National, a sponsored Honda S2000, 200+ hp Abarth, tuned Alfa GTV6, etc. The list is long. More than 30 sportscars since 1981. In the past, the ownership path for most of my rides was "buy, tune, drive and eventually sell." This time out, while I wait 2-3 years to reward my retirement with a low mileage, off-lease Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, I just wanted a saloon that from the get-go, was quite sufficient all on its own with no absolute necessity to go down that rabbit hole of modifications and I definitely didn't want to see myself coming and going (Q50, C300, etc) so enter the GS. Granted, I'm nearing 60-years of age and the mod bug has passed. If I was younger, no doubt this GS would likely have six or seven ingredients added to Buick's recipe but in stock form, my '16 is a stout challenger however it didn't take long after purchase to realize I wasn't going to be content with the stock engagement points from the transmission and felt it really needed about 50-60 more ponies and some computer-work to get the daily livability where I wanted it. Enter the base Trifecta tune and couldn't be happier. The transparency feature is a Godsend. I'm not drag racing, street racing, road course rallying, etc nor an owner in search of every last pony (where other tunes might be advantageous) but in and around my stomping grounds, the Trifecta tune brings the car to life, so to speak and I could not recommend it more highly. Shift engagements are crisp and in "flick mode," as I call it, sans paddles shifters, it's a stump puller. Now, it's the kind of ride that will have you drive 30 minutes outside of town for a half gallon of milk.
I'm sure the BNR is every bit as nice as others have reported but for this fella, I'm quite satisfied with the job Trifecta did in massaging my Buick into something Cadillac would find annoying. :p
Awesome feedback coming from someone with such a history with cars! Thanks :)

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
I appreictae the insight, I too am hitting that age where I don't care to race or get tickets, but to have fun with. I'm 52 and my GS, is my FIRST 6 Speed Manual, and I think it is a hoot to drive with the stock tune, like a little Go-Cart... I got my 2012 last April with 70K miles on it, traded my 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 140K with some trans issues and needed tires. My 24yr old son was the tuner in the family and he's the one who got me hooked on 6 Manual, I learned years ago to drive manual, driving a 24 Foot Top Kick straight truck. But having seen how much of a pain in the ass he was having every week changing some part out because of failure, or to make MORE POWER (HP). He tuned it himself using Hp-tuner, he had a 2003 Saturn ION Red-line he managed to convert from Super Charged to Turbo Charged, and he tuned it to produce 525 whp with Stock bottom end. He has since got rid of it, becuase it was getting too expensive to get any more HP out of it without completely rebuilding the engine, and he's getting married. I don't think I'll get a tune, but get some cosmetic mods instead, this car is EXPENSIVE to replace parts for, and some are hard to find i.e the HID Headlight assembley. Luckily, I'm able to do most of the work myself and not spend any extra $$ for a mechanic to perform upgrades, I'm dreading the day I'll need to replace the Timing Chain, soon maybe this summer, if I can get my son over to help out.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
That's why I bought an AWD Regal. At full throttle from a standing start on dry pavement it just hooks up and goes. There's never any wheel spin even with the traction control disabled. I had a couple of supercharged FWD Grand Prixs and the front tires would always spin if I hammered it from a standing start.

I have the Trifecta tune and I have had no problems with it after 4 years. When I first installed it I felt the throttle was too sensitive, so I contacted Trifecta and they sent me a tune with less throttle sensitivity. After that it was perfect for everyday driving and easier to drive in slick road conditions.

Philsner

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal T Premium 3 6 speed manual
I want to second what seafarer61 says about the basic Trifecta "canned" tune. The only modification my Regal T has are the floormats. I just wanted more punch. Trifecta seemed to be the best fit for me and I was not disappointed. My Regal has really woken up. Trifecta was helpful and quick to respond several times to questions I had before purchase and before installation. Again, not the path for someone doing a bunch of mods but a quick and easy way to upgrade the stock Regal.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I just downloaded an updated tune from Trifecta. The last update I got was from 2015, so I'll post if there is an improvement in the update after I install it this weekend.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I loaded the updated Trifecta tune tonite and the power comes on much lower in the RPM range now than with the previous tune. I don't have to wind the motor up so high to get the car moving quickly. Plus it's a lot more responsive off the line without the throttle being too sensitive.

At wide open throttle the shifts are quick and firm, and the power is more instantaneous right after each shift. It just keeps pulling hard and banging off the shifts. Driveability is good during normal cruising, so overall the updated tune is a noticeable improvement. Great job Trifecta!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.