Trifecta tune first drive

GeorgeG

Buick Ownership
regal tourx
Just took my first drive around the block with the Trifecta tune WOW! I've had this car for just about a year now and it feels very different in a very good way. Accelerator actually feels connected, never mind the extra ommmpff. After I drive it more on my normal route and the smile on my face calms down I'll try to give a better description. But as of now it was definitely worth it.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Just took my first drive around the block with the Trifecta tune WOW! I've had this car for just about a year now and it feels very different in a very good way. Accelerator actually feels connected, never mind the extra ommmpff. After I drive it more on my normal route and the smile on my face calms down I'll try to give a better description. But as of now it was definitely worth it.
I assume you are running a min of 91 octane? Trifecta seems to have it together with quality tunes.

When, not if, I get this tune, my intention, after my first oil change, is to first get a baseline on performance by getting a few 1/4 mile runs at NWDW, noting DA, ambient temperature, and barometric pressure. (newenglanddragway | SCHEDULE). I debating if to DIY oil change or bring to dealer at about 2,500-3000 miles.
I think the smarter thing for me is to wait until I get the few glitches taken care of under warranty make sure the car seems reliable and wait a about year till I load up the tune.
I'm more concerned about electrical, ECU/ infotainment issues than drive-train or mechanical. Once they determine and ECU flash, I need to face the reality that I have no warranty , except maybe for a piece of trim falling off.
After a tune, I would repeat testing at the track.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Interested to hear more of you thoughts. I have an Audi A4 we tuned at about 5k miles, it now is close to 300k. No issues from the tune. In fact we even saw a boost in mpg since we didn't have to shift as much.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm using HPTuners on my TourX and even drivelibility is so much better than stock. The torque at kick down at highway speeds makes it feel like a different car.

clubsfit

Buick Ownership
2018tourX
I'm using HPTuners on my TourX and even drivelibility is so much better than stock. The torque at kick down at highway speeds makes it feel like a different car.
How are you getting HP to work with your car?? I really want to make that work.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Ugh I wish we could do something about the 8-speed. I really want to make this car shift faster. I think it just needs minor tweaks to make me super happy.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I am most interested in Trifecta since it is the only one I have seen that specifically States it was tested on 87 octane. Even if you plan on using premium 87 has a way of sneaking in there. Here in NJ you aren't supposed to pump your own gas, some take it seriously and I have had them put the wrong gas in the Audi. Luckily with that tune I can revert to stock which still required 91 but would be far less likely to detonate. Their tune gives me piece of mind that I am covered.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Potential Buyer with questions/concerns Post 11

There is no piston issue related to octane on the TourX 2.0T. Most of us run whatever with lower grade like 87 octane and no issues. You will still make 298 lb-ft of torque(not a typo from 295) and 316 lb-ft torque in overboost on lower octane.

Premium is recommended but not required.
NormT
What source did this interesting info originate?
I realize the boost wastegate is ECU controlled. For instance the FWD Sportback has torque limited to 260 lb-ft most likely for torque steer considerations while advertised the torque on the AWD is 295 lb-ft. BHP is also boost regulated to same 250 BHP net on AWD and FWD.
The Trifecta Dyno chart for the 2018 LGT 2.0L tune vs stock OEM tune compares the torque for a FWD Regal Sportback to the Trifecta Tune results.
This leads me to believe that in the meat of the torque cure, the Trifecta tune in only marginally up on torque, compared to an AWD. The Trifecta tune gives greater HP from the timing fuel, cam phasing and boost, etc., being let loose at the higher RPMs.
It would be good to see what a stock vs tuned TourX pulls on a side by side AWD dyno pull.
Vbox data would be interesting also.
There is no magic here. Power will track increase in BMEP. Too much BMEP, engine goes ping-ping, eventually goes boom-sput.

Attachments

Last edited:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hptuners software. GM ecus today are torque based as that is what kills drivetrains for warrantu concerns.

Not sure what Trifecta changes as the tune is locked and unreviewable. Plus Vince at Trifecta has cracked Aisin-Warner ecu programming, something that HPTuners or EFILive has not or has not released. He is very good, ex-IBM(?)software engineer, and know his stuff when it comes to GM ecu OS.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I am most interested in Trifecta since it is the only one I have seen that specifically States it was tested on 87 octane. Even if you plan on using premium 87 has a way of sneaking in there. Here in NJ you aren't supposed to pump your own gas, some take it seriously and I have had them put the wrong gas in the Audi. Luckily with that tune I can revert to stock which still required 91 but would be far less likely to detonate. Their tune gives me piece of mind that I am covered.
I wouldn't run anything less than 93 in my car. The Trifecta tune is very aggressive and I don't want any surprises when I push it hard. Plus you don't get get max power with lower octane fuel, and that defeats the purpose of the tune.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I may have missed something, but numbers for stock Flex with 365 HP are almost the same 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile but top speed is 121 compared to 130 to 160 on Regal.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I may have missed something, but numbers for stock Flex with 365 HP are almost the same 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile but top speed is 121 compared to 130 to 160 on Regal.
Even with the restrictions on the 3.5L Eco or Boost in a Ford Flex, the EB can be tuned easily over 425HP just with a tune. Supposedly that Flex runs in the high 12's. Earns my respect!
Just a tune on the TourX is a best 300hp. 350 HP is limit on AISIN transmission. Nearing 400 the LGT needs forged Pistons designed for high boost.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Wow that runs quarter as fast as my Sol Coupe with GM power upgrade.
But not even close to modded Typhoon.
But not even close to modded Typhoon. Absolutely!
Modded GNX's & Typoon's were freaks in their time.