Cmoneymillz

Buick Ownership
TourX

A day after picking up my car.
Ordering one now - who else?!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
If Trifecta's numbers are correct along with my math, the tune will yield and improvement in 0-60 mph from 6.6 sec to 6 seconds flat, & 1/4 mile improvement from 14.7 Sec. @94mph to 13.9-14.0 Sec @99mph. Actually, that is quite a decent improvement.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I am in. This does void the powertrain warranty though, yeah? I know you can return to stock but the ecm still shows a flash?
"I know you can return to stock but the ecm still shows a flash?"
Yes, ECM records all "Updates"
Note: GM instructs and insists that dealers verify ECM has not been flashed on any powertrain hardware failure.

Attachments

Last edited:

milicz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
If Trifecta's numbers are correct along with my math, the tune will yield and improvement in 0-60 mph from 6.6 sec to 6 seconds flat, & 1/4 mile improvement from 14.7 Sec. @94mph to 13.9-14.0 Sec @99mph. Actually, that is quite a decent improvement.
Most sites say stock is 6.3-6.5 0-60. I'm hoping for sub 6 seconds with this.

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
@Cmoneymillz, bravo, you beat us to the punch on sharing it to the forums, so we'll just reply to questions here. LOL

Regarding warranty, we recommend not modifying your car in any way at all if that is a concern, since pretty much any modification can be traced back to some reason to void your warranty. We actually wrote an article about that here:

A Word About Manufacturer Warranty and Aftermarket Modifications

We've been tuning brand new cars for a long time now though, and we know the risk to be very low. Still, its YOUR car, not ours, so we recommend you follow your gut on the warranty issue.

Once the weather starts cooperating, we'll get out there and bang out some 0-60 pulls with our VBOX! Keep in mind our car is a TourX, so AWD and all-season tires may inflate the numbers. Relative gains should be good though.

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
AutoStop Disable Only: $179
Advantage: $449 (meant for a stock car, includes free production updates and tech support for as long as you own the car)
Elite: $688 (unlimited support for modifications for as long as you own the car)

Upgrading between tiers costs only the difference between them, no additional fees, and can be done at any time.

All packages include an EZ Flash cable.

2.0L Turbo (2018--Present) - trifectaperformance.com

Rb0891

Indiana
AutoStop Disable Only: $179
Advantage: $449 (meant for a stock car, includes free production updates and tech support for as long as you own the car)
Elite: $688 (unlimited support for modifications for as long as you own the car)

Upgrading between tiers costs only the difference between them, no additional fees, and can be done at any time.

All packages include an EZ Flash cable.

2.0L Turbo (2018--Present) - trifectaperformance.com
Thanks. I assume you need a laptop... any idea if you can load with a surface?

Can't use my wife's laptop. She may start asking too many questions...

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thanks. I assume you need a laptop... any idea if you can load with a surface?

Can't use my wife's laptop. She may start asking too many questions...
I'd guess that as long as it's a Surface Pro running Windows 10 you should be fine. An old ARM-based surface won't work.

I'm glad this software loading is as simple as a cable and a windows box. The VW guys have to get a special proprietary 'tune loader' that adds cost to the final price of the tune.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Do not think 40 HP or 40 ft lbs is worth the money, or risk of thousands of $'s for powertrain fix if warranty is gone.. Got almost 100 ft lbs on GM tune for Sol., with no effect on warranty.

Rb0891

Indiana
Do not think 40 HP or 40 ft lbs is worth the money, or risk of thousands of $'s for powertrain fix if warranty is gone.. Got almost 100 ft lbs on GM tune for Sol., with no effect on warranty.
40 for $400 seems cheap to me, but yes the potential for warranty losses could add up. Wish this was like a polestar deal. I would probably pay double to keep warranty.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
This probably has a slim chance of damaging the engine, but I'm definitely going to wait until I'm post-warranty before doing this tune. Even if something else unrelated fails in the powertrain, the first thing they'll do is blame it on the tune, and they probably have a way of knowing if you flash it back to stock before taking in the car.

Rb0891

Indiana
This probably has a slim chance of damaging the engine, but I'm definitely going to wait until I'm post-warranty before doing this tune. Even if something else unrelated fails in the powertrain, the first thing they'll do is blame it on the tune, and they probably have a way of knowing if you flash it back to stock before taking in the car.
I am more worried about some unrelated electrical going out and them blaming the tune. I haul kids so wont run the hell out of it. My first gm in 20 years... any thoughts on this engine and how it has performed over time? A long time back I designed supercharger systems so this seems like a modest increase though not bad value for the cost.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The LTG has a decent reputation... and remarkably better than other Euro stuff I've driven and worked on in the past. Seems like Trifecta is being smart about this tune by offering not only a modest power increase, but also improving the transmission tuning, and enabling more authority over the auto-stop mechanism. It's a steal at this price after coming from the world of $600+ for a TDI tune.

To the point about getting more power from a GM tune... the LTG already seems fairly topped out for power without doing deeper mods. I'd never expect a 100ft/lb increase on an engine that has historically already had power increases during its lifecycle. I'm personally not interested in making any hardware upgrades, but am interested in taking advantage of power and economy that was left on the table from a software side.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Yeah no doubt the LNF with highest specific power of any GM engine at the time, and probably still. Is a IMG_20171202_150546152_HDR.jpgdifferent animal then the LNG. Doing the math comparing 2 liter to 6 liter. A six liter would need almost 900 hp to beat specific output of my coupe.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.