Trifecta Tune now available!

Cmoneymillz

Buick Ownership
TourX
The transmission tweaks and the start/stop are my main reasons. The extra hp/tq are the cherry on top. Car has 103 mi on it currently. Engine/trans have been around for awhile in multiple applications where Im confident (enough) to enjoy the car with the tune without being paranoid about warranty.
Slim chance I need warranty work, revert to stock and pray they dont notice. Again, IMO slim chance. Life is all about risk. Id be upset driving it as is for 7 years before being able to enjoy the benefits of the tune because of reliability/warranty concerns.
Pros outweigh the cons.

Couple that w the fact Trifecta has been around for awhile, HAS regal/tourx cars in their possession, and has such positive reviews across the board...I feel good!

Rb0891

Indiana
The transmission tweaks and the start/stop are my main reasons. The extra hp/tq are the cherry on top. Car has 103 mi on it currently. Engine/trans have been around for awhile in multiple applications where Im confident (enough) to enjoy the car with the tune without being paranoid about warranty.
Slim chance I need warranty work, revert to stock and pray they dont notice. Again, IMO slim chance. Life is all about risk. Id be upset driving it as is for 7 years before being able to enjoy the benefits of the tune because of reliability/warranty concerns.
Pros outweigh the cons.

Couple that w the fact Trifecta has been around for awhile, HAS regal/tourx cars in their possession, and has such positive reviews across the board...I feel good!
Ok. I bought. Out of town in the next couple weeks so will see how it goes after that.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Life is short.
Get the tune.
If it goes south down the line, 2JZ swap!
Or just easier to buy early version of that engine already in 60's Land Cruiser.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Do not think 40 HP or 40 ft lbs is worth the money, or risk of thousands of $'s for powertrain fix if warranty is gone.. Got almost 100 ft lbs on GM tune for Sol., with no effect on warranty.
"Got almost 100 ft lbs on GM tune for Sol., with no effect on warranty."
Huh, Just what are you talking about? Did GM offer a performance tune for the Sol?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I'm a knuckle dragger. I know GM V8 well, buts mostly Ford and Mopar, some imports. I learn something every day I hope.
Regarding a tune. Cheap money, potential high risk. Trifecta gives me nothing to not trust them.
I need to make it thru a few oil changes first before I cave.
I'm not too scarred of giving up the warranty
I lasted about 18 months with my 03 Cobra before exhaust, tune TB & Pulley.
Half of the $2,000 I spent was a waste of money as a year later went the Whipple/ supporting mods route, and never looked back in +75K miles of driving ever since. I was lucky, never have had a valve cover off the motor, or been inside the long block. May the Buick be as dependable.
Adding another 40 Hp to a LGT is not the most drastic mod you could do, and I doubt I would feel the need to go for broke with the TourX as I have the old Mustang.
Given that the 2.0 LGT is not a outrageous expensive motor, I think a tune will be in my future and worth the risk, but not tomorrow.

Last edited:

Gracie615

@Cmoneymillz, bravo, you beat us to the punch on sharing it to the forums, so we'll just reply to questions here. LOL

Regarding warranty, we recommend not modifying your car in any way at all if that is a concern, since pretty much any modification can be traced back to some reason to void your warranty. We actually wrote an article about that here:

A Word About Manufacturer Warranty and Aftermarket Modifications

We've been tuning brand new cars for a long time now though, and we know the risk to be very low. Still, its YOUR car, not ours, so we recommend you follow your gut on the warranty issue.

Once the weather starts cooperating, we'll get out there and bang out some 0-60 pulls with our VBOX! Keep in mind our car is a TourX, so AWD and all-season tires may inflate the numbers. Relative gains should be good though.
Sweet!
Are you working on anything for the GS folks with the 3.6 V6? I see that you have a tune available for the 2015+ Chevy Colorados and GMC Canyons which also use a 3.6.

GeorgeG

Buick Ownership
regal tourx
The description of their tune in the standard mode reads, "Standard Mode: Cruise Control ON (armed) = Vehicle responds to pedal input and shift logic similar to factory programming."

I'm hoping this means they've changed the downshifts to happen at a higher rpm. I love the adaptive cc except that it's really annoying when it starts to lug before downshifts.

In any case I'm going for it and I'll find out.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The description of their tune in the standard mode reads, "Standard Mode: Cruise Control ON (armed) = Vehicle responds to pedal input and shift logic similar to factory programming."

I'm hoping this means they've changed the downshifts to happen at a higher rpm. I love the adaptive cc except that it's really annoying when it starts to lug before downshifts.

In any case I'm going for it and I'll find out.
The transmission tune has my most attention in this, the 40/40 increase in power seems moderate for most boosted applications. As far as the dealer “finding” your tune, my understanding is that they will only be able to see that a ECM flash has occurred, not what was actually changed. Seems like any half decent attorney could make short work of that with a Magnuson Moss act claim.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
The transmission tune has my most attention in this, the 40/40 increase in power seems moderate for most boosted applications. As far as the dealer “finding” your tune, my understanding is that they will only be able to see that a ECM flash has occurred, not what was actually changed. Seems like any half decent attorney could make short work of that with a Magnuson Moss act claim.
"Seems like any half decent attorney could make short work of that with a Magnuson Moss act claim."
Fighten City hall going to cost you.
I would think GM would use any and all arguments not to pay out and honor any warranty.
Just be comfortable with your tuning / warranty loss decision.
See attachment in Post #4

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
How do you install this tune? Does Trifecta send me a cable with USB to install software on my PC then I plug one end of cable into my Win 7 or 10 laptop and the other end into the car's diagnostic port and follow prompts on my laptop??

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Once the weather starts cooperating, we'll get out there and bang out some 0-60 pulls with our VBOX! Keep in mind our car is a TourX, so AWD and all-season tires may inflate the numbers. Relative gains should be good though.
[/QUOTE]
Any chance you got to do the 0-60 pulls?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.