Trunk Light Upgrade

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I didn't like the light in the trunk, so I went on a search for a LED upgrade mod.

The problem with this light is that it was so small and there is not much available in the way of LED bulbs. Not much in the US anyway. All the LED bulbs places I checked, that I know of, I came up empty. So my search lead me to amazon. I entered 194 LED bulb in the search bar, and after about 4 pages, I found about the only bulb that would work in this tiny area. My bulbs came in about 2 weeks all the way from China. I did see them here though:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/t10-w5...utm_campaign=2354&CA_6C15C=620011720000636407

The overall length of the bulb is about 31 or 32 mm or about 1.25". And I'll recheck that and edit the post after I remeasure the bulb. It's about the longest that would fit in the little housing.

It made a pleasing difference. Just a little bit brighter, and a much whiter light. Much nicer than the yellow, dim light fro the factory bulb.

The pictures show the before and after. The factory bulb next to the new LED's from China. And the tiny housing with the bulb in it. Not much room left in there.

Attachments

• 100_1233 (Medium).JPG
    100_1233 (Medium).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_1237 (Medium).JPG
    100_1237 (Medium).JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_1236 (Medium).JPG
    100_1236 (Medium).JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_1235 (Medium).jpg
    100_1235 (Medium).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 73

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Glad it worked out. There are some ebay ones that that are an inch long with 4 leds on one side. I did my license plate with led and they look nice.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Do these upgrade led bulbs require a change in the car's wiring system, like adding resistors? Or is that all included in the bulbs? I would like brighter bulbs, but do not want to mess with the wiring system. I would like to replace the rear brake lights with led bulbs, plus the cargo light mentioned in this article.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Do these upgrade led bulbs require a change in the car's wiring system, like adding resistors? Or is that all included in the bulbs? I would like brighter bulbs, but do not want to mess with the wiring system. I would like to replace the rear brake lights with led bulbs, plus the cargo light mentioned in this article.

No resistor needed. Most of these nowadays are plug and play. You don't need to mess with the wiring. The only problem comes when they are polarized. Which means if they don't work when you plug them in one way, pull it out and flip it around and plug it in the opposite way. Then it'll work.

There is a problem with the tail light/brake light though. Most of the bulbs aren't bright enough, and then you have to have one that is dual brightness. One that will work for both running lights and then the brake light. They run into money. Like these:
http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/red.html

The turn signals can get very pricey too. There you need a newer high tech bulb, plus a special turn signal relay that will handle the LED's. Your factory relay won't do it. The lower current draw will cause them to flash at 90 miles per hour.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Thanks, that helps a lot. On the Encore the side flashers, and the brake bar is led. The turn signal bulbs and brake lights are not. I can't understand why they just didn't make everything but the head/fog lamps led. On my wife's Malibu the tail lamps are led, but they are a circle of led's. I like the one you sent the link for, but I can't afford $ 200 to make the tail lamps led.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!