Trunk won't hold open

zachww1014

Buick Ownership
1994 Buick Regal Custom 3.8
What might you call the mechanism that hold the drunk open after you pop it and lift it? im not looking at it right now but i wanna say theres like 2 thin bars the go across the ceiling of inside the trunk between the arms, with brackets or clips of some kind, one of those rods snapped from the bracket, cant figure a way to fix it myself that doesn't involve welding the metal back together. Wondering if this is a replaceable part i can get? Its not hydraulic struts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 1994 Buick Regal Custom 4dr

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
9103184W12-314.png
You may be referring to 14 or 13, but there are two part numbers listed and no information on what fitment is.

https://buick.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:1;page:part;lang:en;family:regal;model:49022-1994;group:0-0-1595538058;subgroup:0-1623673225-0-0}#15

zachww1014

Buick Ownership
yes, thats exactly it, one of those, that helps, thanks!

VegasDude

Buick Ownership
1996 Regal Custom Sedan - Granny Car w/65k
What might you call the mechanism that hold the drunk open after you pop it and lift it? im not looking at it right now but i wanna say theres like 2 thin bars the go across the ceiling of inside the trunk between the arms, with brackets or clips of some kind, one of those rods snapped from the bracket, cant figure a way to fix it myself that doesn't involve welding the metal back together. Wondering if this is a replaceable part i can get? Its not hydraulic struts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 1994 Buick Regal Custom 4dr
Talk about timing... lol
Same dilemma..

'96 Regal Custom Sedan..
They are the trunk torsion bars.

Similar post on LeSabre forum with picture of entire assembly.
Dealers won't touch them, most body shops either, except possibly ones that specialize in body alignments also.. $$$$
Need to remove trunk lid, back seat, and rear shelf...
Unbolt brackets, and remove entire assembly, and replace..
Special tools are needed, as there is immense tension in the bars.. Extreme caution needed... Highly Dangerous.. Possibility of extreme bodily injury.. you get the picture..
I'm opting to remove the remains, and install trunk struts..
Found posting online by a guy that did it to his '69 Camaro..
They have a similar hinge design.. He also lists the site he got parts... pretty cheap too..
Here's the link...

zachww1014

Buick Ownership
Talk about timing... lol
Same dilemma..

'96 Regal Custom Sedan..
They are the trunk torsion bars.

Similar post on LeSabre forum with picture of entire assembly.
Dealers won't touch them, most body shops either, except possibly ones that specialize in body alignments also.. $$$$
Need to remove trunk lid, back seat, and rear shelf...
Unbolt brackets, and remove entire assembly, and replace..
Special tools are needed, as there is immense tension in the bars.. Extreme caution needed... Highly Dangerous.. Possibility of extreme bodily injury.. you get the picture..
I'm opting to remove the remains, and install trunk struts..
Found posting online by a guy that did it to his '69 Camaro..
They have a similar hinge design.. He also lists the site he got parts... pretty cheap too..
Here's the link...

wow i never imagined it would be that complicated, ive been looking at buying one, but they are specific to left and righy with no clarity what so ever about what constitutes left and roght since they both go side to side w a clip thing at opposite ends but the one i found listed as left had the clip thing on the right🤔, confusing. thanks for the info!

VegasDude

Buick Ownership
1996 Regal Custom Sedan - Granny Car w/65k
wow i never imagined it would be that complicated, ive been looking at buying one, but they are specific to left and righy with no clarity what so ever about what constitutes left and roght since they both go side to side w a clip thing at opposite ends but the one i found listed as left had the clip thing on the right🤔, confusing. thanks for the info!
Tell me about it....I'm 59, into cars my entire life, bought my first car <white '64 Skylark> at 15, paid for, from mowing lawns, and ive NEVER experienced, witnessed, nor heard of ANY car that snapped a trunk torsion bar......
Since mine, I've read a few horror stories attempting to replace them...
Also read that people remove them, and do strut conversions to free up the space for stereo systems... bigger speakers, amps, subs, etc.....
One guy fabricated his own special tools to keep them locked in place under tension, to be able to just slip the new assembly in, and bolt up..
I may check into that a bit, or if anyone has the tools..
But at this point, installing struts is starting to sound like a cakewalk in comparison..
. GOOD LUCK.... With Whatever option you choose...

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!