• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Trying to add Led headlights bulbs

Nice_car

Buick Ownership
Sports back
I have a preferred 2 no led package so it’s my idea just to change the bulb wondering if anybody did this to the headlights and fog lights, questions I have is would I have to remove the bumper to acsess both , how much the shop would charge you think .

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I have a preferred 2 no led package so it’s my idea just to change the bulb wondering if anybody did this to the headlights and fog lights, questions I have is would I have to remove the bumper to acsess both , how much the shop would charge you think .
Fog light info here:
LED fog lamps for 2018 TourX
...super easy swap on those.

As for swapping headlight to LED bulb, start here:
Halogen Bulb #?
...not as easy

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I generally oppose LED conversions in reflector housings- they usually really really suck. For giggles, I tried it anyway and I'm truly happy with the massively better output. I used the Hakari 2019 version H7's. Driving in the dark in remote areas of Vermont, the extra light is a huge safety feature and it's not blinding others. The cutoff isn't as crisp as a projector lamp, but it's as good as it was with the halogen bulb- just WAY brighter.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
H7 low beam for $19 on Ebay. Also have H8 foglight with yellow/white.

Attachments

• 20190422_194732.jpg
    20190422_194732.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190207_210334.jpg
    20190207_210334.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 29

Nice_car

Buick Ownership
Sports back
I generally oppose LED conversions in reflector housings- they usually really really suck. For giggles, I tried it anyway and I'm truly happy with the massively better output. I used the Hakari 2019 version H7's. Driving in the dark in remote areas of Vermont, the extra light is a huge safety feature and it's not blinding others. The cutoff isn't as crisp as a projector lamp, but it's as good as it was with the halogen bulb- just WAY brighter.
Thanks for commenting , just what I needed to hear , was it easy to access the bulb housing , no info on line ,

Nice_car

Buick Ownership
Sports back
H7 low beam for $19 on Ebay. Also have H8 foglight with yellow/white.
Hello did you have to remove head lights to access the lowbeam bulbs I saw four covered access caps two was accessible two was not didn’t know which was which, thanks

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hello did you have to remove head lights to access the lowbeam bulbs I saw four covered access caps two was accessible two was not didn’t know which was which, thanks

Not for the lowbeams. Just open the cap, you cannot access the highbeams due to crash bar support ( must be a U.S. safety reg) and access the back of the low beam with your small hand.

Remember to not touch the halogen bulb as the oil from your skin will damage it. If you do touch it isopropyl alcohol will work to clean it.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Thanks for commenting , just what I needed to hear , was it easy to access the bulb housing , no info on line ,
The installation took about five minutes total for both sides, no tools. If you have big hands like me, you'll likely leave some marks on yourself though. The plugs in the car are not marked for polarity- so plug them in and turn them on, if one doesn't light up just flip the plug and it'll come on. With my luck, both of mine were initially wrong. :)
I went with Hella yellow fogs in traditional halogen because I've not yet heard from anyone who got better distance from an LED setup compared to halogen. Brighter is nice, but I'm looking for projection- I need the distance. I'm halfway tempted to slap two Hella 500's on the front, rally style, with some LED conversions in them. :)

Nice_car

Buick Ownership
Sports back
Not for the lowbeams. Just open the cap, you cannot access the highbeams due to crash bar support ( must be a U.S. safety reg) and access the back of the low beam with your small hand.

Remember to not touch the halogen bulb as the oil from your skin will damage it. If you do touch it isopropyl alcohol will work to clean it.
Thanks feel confident with doing it myself now.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I went with Hella yellow fogs in traditional halogen because I've not yet heard from anyone who got better distance from an LED setup compared to halogen.
Were your Hella yellow fogs an improvement for distance?

Pathy01

Why does it seem that nobody understands that fog lights are not supposed to project out very far. They are intended to light directly in front of the car to help with seeing the lines on the road as you drive at a slower, appropriate speed based on the density of the fog. Adding more light down the road trying to supplement the headlights in the fog would create more light reflecting off the water droplets in the air and make visibility worse. They're not driving lights intended to throw light far ahead down a dark road, they serve a completely different purpose.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I use the LED in the foglight as more of a DRL as most DRL are accent LED today. Plus the LED make more of precense than do halogen.

Drow

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
so did you just buy an H7 bulb? also did you have to take off the front bumper to put in the new lights?

Nice_car

Buick Ownership
Sports back
so did you just buy an H7 bulb? also did you have to take off the front bumper to put in the new lights?
Yea used yumseem brand with a built in fan 40$ bucks still going strong if you look under your hood there’s caps on top where the head lights are you can pop off , the ones that’s blocked are for the high beams but the ones accessible are for headlights, ( change difficulty level of a 4 out of 10 ) changing the fogs is a difficulty level of 1 and it’s behind the wheel well panel. Simple

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Why does it seem that nobody understands that fog lights are not supposed to project out very far. They are intended to light directly in front of the car to help with seeing the lines on the road as you drive at a slower, appropriate speed based on the density of the fog. Adding more light down the road trying to supplement the headlights in the fog would create more light reflecting off the water droplets in the air and make visibility worse. They're not driving lights intended to throw light far ahead down a dark road, they serve a completely different purpose.

They are supposed to project as far as to the bottom of the dipped beam- which can depend on the car. On a Range Rover, the housings are larger and on a lower car like a Regal, they are typically much smaller due to less need for a large beam. There are measurements and standards for aiming the fog lamps from the manufacturer if you'd like to look it up.
The stock lights barely do it, but LED's (every one I've seen) in the fog lamp housing project less than stock. Yes, I want the projection- if the light can't illuminate the lane markers it's useless.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!