trying to figure out rear end gear ratio 63 riviera

turbo123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
hello i am trying to find the gear ratio of the rear end in a 63 riviera i am working on.online i read it should have a 2 # stamp on the rear end housing i cannot find it anywhere.any other way of telling besides opening up the rear diff .i have a vin # please let me know thank you

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
If it has a limited slip differential, raise the rear of the car, release parking brake, transmission in neutral, place a chalk mark on driveshaft, turn rear wheel one complete revolution while counting the number of times the driveshaft rotates.

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
If it has a limited slip differential, raise the rear of the car, release parking brake, transmission in neutral, place a chalk mark on driveshaft, turn rear wheel one complete revolution while counting the number of times the driveshaft rotates.

Wouldn't it also work on a non-limited slip differential to mark the driveshaft, and raise one rear wheel, counting the number of revolutions of the driveshaft?

When I was a teenager, we used to mark and spin the driveshaft until the wheel made one full revolution, but, I had more time in those days. If I had only known your time saving short cut...:LOL:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!