• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TSB: 19-NA-251 Rear View Camera Fisheye Appearance and Missing Guidance Lines - (Nov 4, 2019)

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I just checked and it looks like I'm already at 21.175. The disappearing guidelines issue still occurs on a "quick start". Others seemed to have it happen at other times too, so maybe this just corrected that issue?

944761624.png

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I would be really mad if I bought a new software version Regal, thinking it was a improvement..
But instead is a buggy, slower version of the rock solid existing red needle car.

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I would be really mad if I bought a new software version Regal, thinking it was a improvement..
But instead is a buggy, slower version of the rock solid existing red needle car.
To be honest and put it in perspective, my white needle UI has glitches less often than I see you commenting about how superior you think your red needle is. So guess which one is more annoying on a daily basis...

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
To be honest and put it in perspective, my white needle UI has glitches less often than I see you commenting about how superior you think your red needle is. So guess which one is more annoying on a daily basis...
Just trying to keep up with bugs... then you can be mad at me instead of GM...
Plus less boring if I mess with you guys a little.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
Just trying to keep up with bugs... then you can be mad at me instead of GM...
Plus less boring if I mess with you guys a little.
Like I said, we red needle guys are outcasts even in the Uncool Kids Club.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Like I said, we red needle guys are outcasts even in the Uncool Kids Club.
If you and LJ aren’t the same person you should get together for the good of the community and develop a red needle upgrade kit and invite all of us with the later cars to Jonestown for an upgrade party.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Was the vehicle put into reverse immediately after turning on? Remember seeing it on my pal's car.
That shouldn't matter. If it is in reverse the lines should be on. You can also see the border around the screen is missing where the button to show/hide the lines is. According to the service bulletin the screen is going into an error mode and bypassing the guidelines software so that camera view stays on as required by law. If the screen went completely blank that would be grounds for a safety recall.

On my car the lines work fine when in neutral but disappear in reverse.

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
This matches my car being on 21.175 and intermittently having the issue during quick starts. Some had the issue after these had been running for a longer period of time, which may be what was addressed in 21.175.

The quick start issue may be more hardware related, which can't always be solved with software.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
That shouldn't matter. If it is in reverse the lines should be on. You can also see the border around the screen is missing where the button to show/hide the lines is. According to the service bulletin the screen is going into an error mode and bypassing the guidelines software so that camera view stays on as required by law. If the screen went completely blank that would be grounds for a safety recall.

That is really messed up.:(

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX

While I have had this same exact issue from day one; it's my first car with a back up camera so it doesn't bug me much. I do have the usb update scheduled for my dealer service in a week. I've already got 4 TSB's on that work order.

19-na-016 clock in dash cluster
19-na-100 over air radio update
19-na-251 backup camera
18-na-163 Lower control arms.

Beachman

Jennerstown Pennsylvania
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX, Esscence, Red Needles, Quick Silver Metalic, DCP1, S&S
Just got mine out of shop the other day having 18-na-163 done. Was that ever a battle 😡 then a battle to have alignment redone,🤬 first they lied and said they did, then after I complained about steering wheel position was at 8&2 and pulled to right. Said not required. I can go on and on, now I see other bulletins they should have done. I've complained about the camera several times. Looks like your looking thru a squinting fish eye. They say its normal. never had a reverse camera look like that. Got the car 2 months ago only 3,000 miles on it now. Plastic trim pieces falling off and needing replacement. Hopefully because its sat in lot it's just stupid stuff that will go away. First a gm car in 20 years. Sorry for ranting, I want to love the car, but I'm getting frustrated.
Is The camera supposed to have this squinting fisheye look? I took pic, but pic doesn't give you that weird optical view. I think the thing that drives me nuts is the squinting look. Wide in center that narrows on ends.

Attachments

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Just got mine out of shop the other day having 18-na-163 done. Was that ever a battle 😡 then a battle to have alignment redone,🤬 first they lied and said they did, then after I complained about steering wheel position was at 8&2 and pulled to right. Said not required. I can go on and on, now I see other bulletins they should have done. I've complained about the camera several times. Looks like your looking thru a squinting fish eye. They say its normal. never had a reverse camera look like that. Got the car 2 months ago only 3,000 miles on it now. Plastic trim pieces falling off and needing replacement. Hopefully because its sat in lot it's just stupid stuff that will go away. First a gm car in 20 years. Sorry for ranting, I want to love the car, but I'm getting frustrated.
Is The camera supposed to have this squinting fisheye look? I took pic, but pic doesn't give you that weird optical view. I think the thing that drives me nuts is the squinting look. Wide in center that narrows on ends.
It is the position and the location of the camera. Simply a design flaw. 😩

Johnny Bravo

Buffalo, NY
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
I just checked and it looks like I'm already at 21.175. The disappearing guidelines issue still occurs on a "quick start". Others seemed to have it happen at other times too, so maybe this just corrected that issue?

View attachment 19408
took my early build 2018 GS in on Dec 2, 2019, for service. My update is also current according to the dealer. 70 percent of the time the lines are there. On a long backup out of my 150 ft driveway, the lines will sometimes disappear or time out, halfway down the driveway. At times they don't come on at all. I find its best to wait 60 seconds before backing up to allow the system to completely load the driver info. Dealer says to wait for further TSB update which may come out soon. I'm not holding my breath on this one. Software coding on today's vehicles is complicated. Can I have all my knobs back, please?

Last edited:

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Originally, I was going to get this TSB update done (as somewhere in the TSB, it also says it can affect the radio presets) but now that I’ve had the system updated to 22.9 the audio system is now working better/correctly.

The Fisheye and the SOMETIMES disappearing lines don’t bother me, so I’m not going to let them do this update. Everything else is working, so I’m going to leave well enough alone.

One of my favorite sayings is;
“Be careful what you wish for as you may get it”. Think about it.

Pedal Commander