• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Turbo cool down / shift indicator for manual transmission

Regalin WI

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal CXL Turbo
Just a few questions I couldnt find answers to in owners manual.
I heard you need to let a turbo engine cool before shutting engine off. Is this true for Regal Turbo? Anyone know how long?

My new Regal is manual transmission I have driven stick for about 18 years. I am quite confused by the shifting indicator in the dash display. Very soon after I shift to the next gear, the light comes on again to shift. It seems to do this mostly around 2k, then turn off as I accelerate then come back around 3k rpm. Anyone know if the Regal gearing ratio is different and the best rpm to drive between? Is this for fuel economy purposes only? The owners manual does not address these questions. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

pogster

Alberta
It sounds like the econo mode some automatic vehicles have where turning it on simply causes the transmission to shift upward at lower rpms. If you don't like driving that way simply ignore it if it can't be turned off.

As for the turbo question it's an exhaust driven component and if I were you I'd let it cool down a bit before turning the engine off. Once you stop the engine all coolant and air flow stops.

Regalin WI

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal CXL Turbo
Good info regarding the turbo. This seems to be pretty a important "detail" that was left out of the owners manual that could have an impact on the long-term life/performance of the engine. Thanks again.

GottWhat

Shelby Township, MI
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo (T06)
As mentioned above, the shift light is for optimal fuel economy.

For the turbo, as long as you are NOT running full throttle and then immediately turn the car off, the turbo will be fine. Driving in your subdivision and up your driveway is sufficient enough for turbo temps to be in a safe range. In other words, you do not need to let the car idle before shutting it down. If you are concerned about longevity, make sure you use synthetic oil as it is less likely to “bake” in a hot turbo.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
I have the manual as well. Regarding the shift indicator, I found it to be a nuisance at first as well. Seem to pop up way too early in the RPM range and wants one to 'lug' the engine around 1200 RPM and shift very early during acceleration. I learned to ignore it after a while, though it comes in handy those times I am crusing along in 3rd gear and should be in 5th. :)

I am no expert, but would agree with GottWhat in that you should not have to let a modern day turbo in OEM tune cool down before shutting off. I had a Passat turbo beforehand and had no need to cool it down either.

How are you liking the manual?

Detroit, USA
Just a few questions I couldnt find answers to in owners manual.
I heard you need to let a turbo engine cool before shutting engine off. Is this true for Regal Turbo? Anyone know how long?

My new Regal is manual transmission I have driven stick for about 18 years. I am quite confused by the shifting indicator in the dash display. Very soon after I shift to the next gear, the light comes on again to shift. It seems to do this mostly around 2k, then turn off as I accelerate then come back around 3k rpm. Anyone know if the Regal gearing ratio is different and the best rpm to drive between? Is this for fuel economy purposes only? The owners manual does not address these questions. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
The engine is designed to be shut off at "any" temperature. There is no additional time needed to allow the engine to cool down. Your engine is a performance engine and has a very efficient turbo cooling system. Regarding the shifting indicator in the display: you’re correct. The light will go off if engine load is higher then a predetermined level. This shift light is geared towards maximum fuel economy.

Thanks,
Laura

Buick Customer Service

Regalin WI

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal CXL Turbo
Thanks everyone, very helpful. Got my Regal with 11 miles on it and am "babying" the engine during break-in so just wanted to make sure I was adhering to any advice on the turbo.

I started ignoring the shift light as well.

TurboLover: I am quite pleased with the manual transmission. I've always owned manual transmission and always owned 4 cylinder economy cars (accord/jetta). Very intrigued at how the Regal would be. It was hard finding one to test drive. Many dealers I went to didn't even know Regal came with a manual transmission. Only found one at a delaer within a 50 mile radius. Liked it right away. Very easy clutch to work. Good solid/sturdy feeling stick. Only owned 5 speed in the past and like the 6 speed.

What made you choose the manual vs. automatic?

Can't wait to get engine past break-in (500 miles) so I can start to open up the throttle a little more.

tonslawed

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Joined the forum late but glad to know about the improvement.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
Thanks everyone, very helpful. Got my Regal with 11 miles on it and am "babying" the engine during break-in so just wanted to make sure I was adhering to any advice on the turbo.

I started ignoring the shift light as well.

TurboLover: I am quite pleased with the manual transmission. I've always owned manual transmission and always owned 4 cylinder economy cars (accord/jetta). Very intrigued at how the Regal would be. It was hard finding one to test drive. Many dealers I went to didn't even know Regal came with a manual transmission. Only found one at a delaer within a 50 mile radius. Liked it right away. Very easy clutch to work. Good solid/sturdy feeling stick. Only owned 5 speed in the past and like the 6 speed.

What made you choose the manual vs. automatic?

Can't wait to get engine past break-in (500 miles) so I can start to open up the throttle a little more.
Hi Regalin...sorry for the delay in my response. Been travelling. Other than company cars, I have always owned manual transmission vehicles. I find them much more satisfying and interesting to drive. Certainly more engaging. I had a Passat prior to the Regal and Jetta before that. Both 5-speeds. It took some getting used to the 6-speed but am enjoying it. Shifts are positive and clean...everyone I take along for a ride are amazed that Buick offers a manual.

kiltedscotsman

Calgary, Alberta
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster Wagon Limited
The engine is designed to be shut off at "any" temperature. There is no additional time needed to allow the engine to cool down. Your engine is a performance engine and has a very efficient turbo cooling system. Regarding the shifting indicator in the display: you’re correct. The light will go off if engine load is higher then a predetermined level. This shift light is geared towards maximum fuel economy.

Thanks,
Laura

Buick Customer Service
Laura, thats somewhat odd, considering the official Chevrolet magazine type brochure (it's a dual format upside down type magazine, with a Chev volt on one side, and a Silverado on the other cover) distributed in Canada on a GM test drive event in Calgary stampede has a page on Q+A, and one of the questions is about turbos, and wether to have a cool off period or not.

The answer in the brochure is, yes, a "brief" cool off period at idle is still a safer bet.

Saying that, pootling around downtown, to ones local corner store at low speeds for 10 miles would probably do no harm on an instant shut off.

ob2s

Buick Ownership
Buick
Another unpublished item, especially if you have so few miles, is that you are still in break-in mode. The RPMs are clipped until a certain mileage (your babying is fine, but GM assures it), sorry don't know what that mileage number is. The demo manual I drove did this and it had 8 miles on the odo. It is am important thing to publicize, because it was literally and figuratively a 'turn off'. Irrespective of what Buick Cust service says, if you are driving hard or fast it is NEVER a good idea to immediately park and turn the car off. It is unlikely that you will drive like this often, and as was mentioned before the gradual slow down on your way home, etc will suffice in everyday driving and even after a 'hot lap'.

kiltedscotsman

Calgary, Alberta
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster Wagon Limited
...It took some getting used to the 6-speed but am enjoying it. Shifts are positive and clean...everyone I take along for a ride are amazed that Buick offers a manual.
Thats the german engineering for ya. The new manual tranny is the first manual in a Buick for about 20 years.

About time. LONG LIVE THE MANUAL!!:headbang:

blah

montgomery county, md
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal '11 6sp
I posted in another thread about my 6sp feeling notchy in the cold weather. So I took my car in to the stealership to them look at it... while the mechanic said there is nothing wrong he did notice the issue I brought it in for.

To reproduce:

1) Clutch in
2) Row through your gears from 1 to 6. (or 3 to 6 or 6 to 1)
3) Clutch out, wait a second or 2
4) Clutch in
5) try to engage 1st gear....

What I feel is it takes an extra bit of force to engage 1st, after that "force-in", it'll smoothly go in and out of 1st...

but if I engage at 3 or 4th gear, its smoother and 1st is smooth to engage

This particular issue happens to all 6 gears, as in if you do steps 1 to 4 and instead step 5 engage 2-6...there is still a bit of extra force needed to engage. It was worse in colder temps (around 45ish)

We played with 2 other 2011 Regal Turbos (T01, T07). The T01 had 60miles, while the T07 had about 300miles. Both cars exhibited this issue, but not to the extreme my car does.

My car has 1100miles on it... Has any of you other Regal 6sp owners noticed this?
:confused:

GottWhat

Shelby Township, MI
Buick Ownership
I had similar issues with other cars. I always found it easier to briefly move the shifter to second gear (with clutch pushed in) before moving to first. It became a habit and now I do it on all manual transmissions without even thinking about it.

Niklow

Buick Ownership
Regal
Laura, thats somewhat odd, considering the official Chevrolet magazine type brochure (it's a dual format upside down type magazine, with a Chev volt on one side, and a Silverado on the other cover) distributed in Canada on a GM test drive event in Calgary stampede has a page on Q+A, and one of the questions is about turbos, and wether to have a cool off period or not.

The answer in the brochure is, yes, a "brief" cool off period at idle is still a safer bet.

Saying that, pootling around downtown, to ones local corner store at low speeds for 10 miles would probably do no harm on an instant shut off.
Cool down is needed for non-native turbo vehicles. Ie: custom turbo kits.

For example, I have to wait a few minutes after driving my celica, before shut off or else it might damage the manifold - but that is because i dropped in a turbo kit - and internal components are not designed to handle that king of pressure.

Any factory turbo vehicle does not need a cool off period, unless you have tracked it. At that point you might want to, otherwise it doesn't matter when you turn the car off. Materials and design disperses heat as it should....im pretty sure the car went through hundreds of thousands of miles of stress tests in various temperatures and conditions.

I wouldn't worry about that, biggest danger will be miss-shifting for these vehicles.

blah

montgomery county, md
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal '11 6sp
I had similar issues with other cars. I always found it easier to briefly move the shifter to second gear (with clutch pushed in) before moving to first. It became a habit and now I do it on all manual transmissions without even thinking about it.
Yeah, I guess it is just crappy craftsmanship. My 2 previous cars didn't exhibit that kind of issue.

Also I'm guessing it is a cold weather issue. The temp in MD went from 60ish to 80ish... when I drove my car home yesterday evening, it wasn't nearly as bad.

GottWhat

Shelby Township, MI
Buick Ownership
Yeah, I guess it is just crappy craftsmanship. My 2 previous cars didn't exhibit that kind of issue.

Also I'm guessing it is a cold weather issue. The temp in MD went from 60ish to 80ish... when I drove my car home yesterday evening, it wasn't nearly as bad.
Temps can and will make a huge difference.

Buffman

Tire Smoking Fury
MI
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster
especially depending on the oil used in the transmission. I've driven quite a few stick shifts, and all of them, always give more resistane going from XX gear into first. I get less going to second then, into first.

blah

montgomery county, md
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal '11 6sp
especially depending on the oil used in the transmission. I've driven quite a few stick shifts, and all of them, always give more resistane going from XX gear into first. I get less going to second then, into first.
I've only ever feel resistances into 1st gear ONLY when downshifting / moving at veryslow speeds (3 to 7mph), not sure if that is what you're talking about...

I'm talking dead stop. My 2008 BMW didn't do it, my 2007 Civic Si didn't do that either. The 2007 Si had that shitty 3rd gear synchronizer issue but it was still a million times smoother over all than my new buick... my BMW was a billlllllion times smoother than my buick and civic.

And really the issue here is all of my gears exhibit this problem, more so in the colder temps and even more so into 1st gear. But after you force it in, it is smooth from 1 to 6, 6 to 1... the stealership "head" mech noted that he felt what I was talking about but had no idea why it was like that.

What really tweaks me is that this car is "so new" and "so different" from other Buicks, the stealership mechanics have no clue what is considered normal / abnormal behavior for this car.

:confused: