Two weeks of Tourx, two times in the shop

Thread starter #1

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx Essence, Smoked Pearl Metallic
I took delivery of my 2018 Tourx Essence, Smoked Pearl Metallic with Shale interior almost two weeks ago. I love the way the car looks and how it drives so far. But I've already had it in for service twice now. A few days after I picked it up, when I started the engine, it was running incredibly rough to the point of the car shaking. Codes were p0302 and p050d which are cylinder misfire and cold start rough idle. Of course, the dealer couldn't duplicate the issue. That's the way it always seems to work for me.

It'd been driving okay since then until this morning when I started it up (cold) and the same thing happens. And the DIC shows that the ABS isn't working. So it's back in the shop until they fix this. Has anyone else seen similar behavior from their Regals?

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If your car had more that 5,000 miles on it I'd say it could be fuel deposits and crud on the valves.

But it's most likely a shit spark plug on Cylinder 2. They're cheap and easy enough to chance, I'd do it myself and wouldn't let the dealers mechanics touch it if they're so smart not to even look at the physical state of the spark plugs.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Of course, the dealer couldn't duplicate the issue.
I have to agree with Bimmer, this is what codes are for. My BMW loved to go through coils and it was easy to diagnose by the codes... The car would recover after five minutes and the check engine light would turn off by itself, but the codes were stored and accessible by the shop. Saying "we can't reproduce" when there are codes is ridiculous.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
did the dealer bother to look at the TSB's? There are technical service bulletins that have been issued with regard to misfire. Below are two examples, for the engine alone there are a total of 17.
NHTSA ID Number: 10144456
Manufacturer Communication Number: PIP5486D
NHTSA ID Number: 10144451
Manufacturer Communication Number: PIP5163D

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
This may or may not be the problem, but worth looking at...

PI1223B: Black Smoke and Rough Idle on Cold Start - 2010-2017 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet & GMC

PI1223B: Black Smoke and Rough Idle on Cold Start – 2010-2017 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet & GMC

Subject: Black Smoke and Rough Idle on Cold Start
Models:
2011-2017 Buick Regal
2012-2017 Buick Verano
2013-2017 Cadillac ATS
2014-2017 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2010-2017 Chevrolet Captiva, Equinox
2013-2017 Chevrolet Malibu
2014-2017 Chevrolet Impala
2010-2017 GMC Terrain
Equipped with Engine RPOs LAF, LEA, LCV, LTG, LKW, LHU or LUK
Attention: This PI also applies to any of the above models that may be Export vehicles.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on black smoke, rough idle and minimal misfires on start up only.

This can be caused by the introduction of direct fuel injection systems.

Recommendation/Instructions

A split-pulse injection strategy is utilized during engine cold start to reduce the time required to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature.

This split injection strategy lasts for about 20 seconds on cold start.

This process will cause the customer to see increased black smoke, soot, rough idle, or minimal misfires during cold start and should be considered normal.

To verify that the split-pulse injection is causing the roughness or misfires with no codes set, you should watch injector pulse width with the scan tool during the concern.

When in split pulse injector mode operation, the pulse width is about 50% more than a normal idle.

If after 20 seconds the pulse width of the injectors reduces and the engine idle smooths out, this is considered normal operation and no repairs should be attempted.

If the pulse width on the injectors drops by about 50% and the engine then smooths out, this is considered normal operation and no repairs should be attempted.

The use of TOP TIER fuels lessens the rough idle condition effects during split pulse injection by reducing the amount of carbon on valve train components and a more complete combustion leading to cleaner burn. Refer to the latest version of Service Bulletin 05-06-04-022 TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Information and Available Brands.

This cold start strategy is enabled upon start up after the engine has soaked for sufficient time such that the catalytic converter requires rapid reactivation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread starter #9

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
Thanks for everyone's comments so far! The dealer still has it and they've told me it's an issue with losing compression in one of the cylinders. So they'll be working on it tomorrow. I've historically had good service experiences with this dealer so not sure why it's taking so long.

In the meantime, I'll be driving to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to see my son at college in the loaner Terrain they've given me...

Thread starter #15

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
Just to give an update on what's gone on with my TourX - now that it's over three weeks later...

Apparently, the engine was losing compression in the #2 cylinder. Once they opened it up, the cylinder wall was gouged quite nicely. So GM had them tear the whole engine down to diagnose everything. The end result is that a new engine was put in the car. I still have to have a talk with the service department on all of the details to find out what caused the gouging.

I was supposed to have picked it up today but, as soon as I got there, I examined the body for any damage. And, sure enough, there was a small dent in the hood close to the driver side headlamps. So they're keeping it until Monday when that can be repaired. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in both the initial quality of this engine and with the response so far from GM/Buick and the dealer.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
Ask for a new car, and look into MI's lemon laws.

Given that you only had the car 2 weeks, and then it spent 3 weeks in the shop, I'd be surprised if it isn't legally a "lemon."

If nothing else, I wouldn't want a "new" car that just went through an engine swap.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
Just to give an update on what's gone on with my TourX - now that it's over three weeks later...

Apparently, the engine was losing compression in the #2 cylinder. Once they opened it up, the cylinder wall was gouged quite nicely. So GM had them tear the whole engine down to diagnose everything. The end result is that a new engine was put in the car. I still have to have a talk with the service department on all of the details to find out what caused the gouging.

I was supposed to have picked it up today but, as soon as I got there, I examined the body for any damage. And, sure enough, there was a small dent in the hood close to the driver side headlamps. So they're keeping it until Monday when that can be repaired. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in both the initial quality of this engine and with the response so far from GM/Buick and the dealer.
Wow, what a nightmare. Even though it's not 30 days I would push for a new car, I'm confident they would bend.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.