Two weeks of Tourx, two times in the shop

Thread starter #21

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx Essence, Smoked Pearl Metallic
Got the car back today. Everything seems to be running fine so far (and the dent is fixed) but then again, it seemed okay when I first took delivery.

I saw the piston that was bad and it had a hole/crack in it which appeared to be a manufacturing defect. At least to my untrained eye. For all I know it could've disintegrated after it was manufactured and in use. If it was that way when it was installed, I can't fathom how it made it past any QC in place. Kicking myself for not taking a picture of it.

I sent a letter to Buick today per the Michigan Lemon Law (after 25 days you can notify the manufacturer before the 30 is hit) so we'll see how they respond.

This has been the worst experience owning a car I've had and I'm really disappointed in both Buick/GM and the dealer.

Thread starter #24

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
Hey, guess what!! You're never gonna guess!

Yep, that's right! The BRAND NEW engine they put in my Tourx is throwing the same code - p0302. I was heading back on my first long trip after having the new engine and it started shuddering and losing power. I got it back into the dealer before they closed for the weekend and have a loaner again. I'll be pushing for a new car next week.

Interestingly enough, I contacted Buick by certified mail a couple of weeks ago regarding this car being a lemon (per the 25 days in the shop portion of Michigan's lemon law) and haven't heard a peep from them.

Stay tuned...

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Hey, at least they replaced the engine. Should have no more problems.

I'm also on the Hyundai Sonata forums and Hyundai had problems with their 2011-2014 2.4 (and 2.0T) engines. Hyundai replaced engines and extended drivetrain warranty to 120k miles. My favorite Hyundai Servicing dealer had a tech who's only job was to change engines under warranty. (their warranty is to 100k miles). Most bad engines have already been replaced.

My 2015 Sonata 2.0T still great. Traded my 2018 Sonata 2.0T for my Regal Tour-x because I love the Tour-X Wagon
(Also known as a "Shooting Brake").

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It's a station wagon or a estate, but unless 2 doors have been removed it's not a shooting brake, but to each their own.

Buick’s last idea of a shooting brake, US style LOL.

234197.jpg

Thread starter #28

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
I would approach the manager of the dealership, assuming that your car is at the same dealer where you bought it...
Thanks, Bimmer. That was going to be my approach next week when they're open again.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Hey, guess what!! You're never gonna guess!

Yep, that's right! The BRAND NEW engine they put in my Tourx is throwing the same code - p0302. I was heading back on my first long trip after having the new engine and it started shuddering and losing power. I got it back into the dealer before they closed for the weekend and have a loaner again. I'll be pushing for a new car next week.

Interestingly enough, I contacted Buick by certified mail a couple of weeks ago regarding this car being a lemon (per the 25 days in the shop portion of Michigan's lemon law) and haven't heard a peep from them.

Stay tuned...
If new engine is throwing the same code, there must be something else causing it and messing with the engine.

Buick Ownership
BMW
I'm curious if the piston was not damaged due to a lean fuel condition. It's possible that a failing fuel injector on cylinder 2 could be the culprit. To my knowledge the manufacture isn't going to install a complete long block as a replacement. They will use the old accessories off of the previously damaged engine.

Thread starter #31

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
I met with management at the dealership today and we'll be starting the process of getting GM to buy back the car. Not sure what all this involves so far but I'm sure it won't be pleasant.

On a related note, the service manager mentioned that there was a TSB published around November 8th regarding some bad pistons. Not sure what the extent of condition is surrounding this bulletin, so if anyone has access, I'd be curious to know what all it applies to.

Last edited:
S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I met with management at the dealership today and we'll be starting the process of getting GM to buy back the car. Not sure what all this involves so far but I'm sure it won't be pleasant.

On a related note, the service manager mentioned that there was a TSB published around November 8th regarding some bad pistons. Not sure what the extent of condition is surrounding this bulletin, so if anyone has access, I'd be curious to know what all it applies to.
I've read some of the TSB's about the LTG 2.0 engines having out of round cylinders, but didn't see the 2018 Regal's in the list of affected vehicles.

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
You are corrrct that a "Shooting Brake" is a two door.

That being said, back in the "old days" 60 years ago, when I worked at the American Consulate- American Embassy on the island of Cyprus, my RAF friends called any Station Wagon, a Shooting Brake, no matter how many doors it has.

BTW, I travel to France and once in a while, I see used wagons advertised as a "Brake".

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X

I actually think it will be quite painless seeing that they will try to keep you in the family. So are you going to run away from GM or do you actually want a working TourX still? One nice thing is you can get a 2019 now with a new UI.

Thread starter #35

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
I actually think it will be quite painless seeing that they will try to keep you in the family. So are you going to run away from GM or do you actually want a working TourX still? One nice thing is you can get a 2019 now with a new UI.
Assuming it IS painless, I'm sure I'll stick with General Motors and have the dealer look for a 2019 that's configured with the same packages as this one. Growing up with exclusively GM products, I guess I've been a little "brainwashed" so to speak. But that's all I've owned and, except for this experience, I've generally been very happy with them. My 2009 Cadillac CTS was just a great car and I loved the thing to death. (Kinda wish I still had it right now!)

I really like the looks of the 2019 Volvo V60 but I'd have to wait until spring to even drive one of those, they're a bit smaller, and I'm sure they're going to be pricier than the Buick; especially when I can get the GM employee discount. There just aren't a lot of other cars out there that appeal to me the way these wagons do.

Getting the new UI would certainly be nice and it would also be a plus to have more than one USB port inside the center console armrest. This 2018 only had the one USB and no aux port - not that I need that anymore with Bluetooth.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
I really like the looks of the 2019 Volvo V60 but I'd have to wait until spring to even drive one of those, they're a bit smaller, and I'm sure they're going to be pricier than the Buick; especially when I can get the GM employee discount. There just aren't a lot of other cars out there that appeal to me the way these wagons do.
The base model will be around what our Buick maxes out at, although it will have more features standard. Cargo room will still be smaller, and it will be a bit slower as well. It would have been tough for me to pick the Buick if the 2019 was out, although a $10k lower Buick price difference would still be persuasive. I'm surprised V60 not out yet.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Well "shooting brake" sounds cooler than station wagon, kind of like SUV sounds better than "people carrier" LOL. Besides the the true 2 door shooting brake is ready for a come back when Callaway and Ferrari start goofing around it's only a matter of time someone will figure out how it's a great design to get the youth market who want a cool looking, crossover, larger than a hot hatch, 2 door. Besides it's not like it hasn't been done before, just sort of forgotten about.
1966_Volkswagen_1600_Squareback.jpg

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Getting the new UI would certainly be nice and it would also be a plus to have more than one USB port inside the center console armrest. This 2018 only had the one USB and no aux port - not that I need that anymore with Bluetooth.
My 2018 has the 'old UI' along with two USB ports and an aux port in the center console.

It's interesting to see all of the minor differences in these cars.

Thread starter #39

washide

Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
The base model will be around what our Buick maxes out at, although it will have more features standard. Cargo room will still be smaller, and it will be a bit slower as well. It would have been tough for me to pick the Buick if the 2019 was out, although a $10k lower Buick price difference would still be persuasive. I'm surprised V60 not out yet.
Looks like the V60 pricing has been announced: 2019 Volvo V60 starts at under $40,000

Thread starter #40
Stevensville, MI
Buick Ownership
I'm curious if the piston was not damaged due to a lean fuel condition. It's possible that a failing fuel injector on cylinder 2 could be the culprit. To my knowledge the manufacture isn't going to install a complete long block as a replacement. They will use the old accessories off of the previously damaged engine.
Looks like this may have been the culprit - bad fuel injector(s) so fuel's not getting delivered to cylinder 2 eventually leading to piston damage. These parts weren't swapped out when the engine was replaced which led to the same issue appearing in the new one. My dealer is still working with GM's engineering department to analyze what's happened. It appears that there are a handful of these cars out there with the same issue and some have had 3 or 4 engines replaced and they still haven't fixed it yet.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.