UHQ (2013) navigation upgrade from UYE (2012)

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
Thread starter #1
Ok. I'm finally getting around to order the UHQ (adding navigation option) from 2013 Verano to upgrade my UYE (2012) LaCrosse.
Hopefully it'll work smoothly.

1. I ordered a tech-2 from Aliexpress. It should be arriving in a week or so. I'll use this to program the Radio, instead of sending the unit away to be programmed.
2. I ordered the UHQ radio (Buick, not from GMC or Chevy) through from a recycler that I found on car-parts.com. The reason for getting the UHQ from a Buick is so that I will still retain the Buick logo coming up when I start the car. GMC or Chevy logo will pop up if I get one from GMC or Chevy. I don't have access to tools to flash the UHQ head unit. :( (nor do I have access to download the firmware for UHQ to flash it).
3. I will need to order the GPS antenna, but that's not the priority right now. The main goal is to have the Nav unit (UHQ) working in the car. :D (I have everything already wired ready from UYE setup from factory, and just the GPS antenna is missing.)
4. Control Panel will need to be ordered, but I'll leave without it for now. The existing control panel should work. If worse case, the touch screen for menu access will be fine for now.
5. I may need to order in an amplifier, but I'll soon find out.

I wanted to do this few years ago, but put it in the back burner...

This will be a slow project as I'll be quite busy this summer, but I figure I'll start off the summer with project.

Anyone can give me tips on this project, I'll highly appreciate it. :)

p.s. the warranty on the car is almost over, so I don't think the dealer will care. :)

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
Thread starter #4
Just swapped out my UYE to UHQ. UHQ radio had to be unlocked (VIN reprogrammed).
All seems to work fine. I had to send mine out to have it reprogrammed for VIN.
It's been a long process.

Navigation works now.

Needed item:
- UHQ radio silver box
- control panel (original doesn't work... button mapping are not done correctly)
- FAKRA GPS sensor (got it from ebay)
- unlock / VIN reprogram service

It was straight forward swap.

Long story.

Dealer doesn't know how to unlock or reprogram VIN. They still charged me $100+ for trying, which annoyed me. And on top of that, the tech scratched the screen!
So I ended up sending out the silverbox UHQ to a vendor who programmed the VIN into the UHQ silver box. Once I got it back, it was pretty straight forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and TECH2 didn't help much at all. Tech-2 is almost useless in our car. Hahaha.

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
Does the UHQ reciever have the intellilink option as well as the nav? I currently have the premium III option in my lacrosse. Will i need the antenna wire still?

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
So I called my dealer today and they said it would be $110 to program the radio. He also told me i need to make sure that it is the correct unit for my vin#. That each unit is pair to a group of vin number and i need to make sure that what I am getting will work for my vin. Has anyone heard of this before? If so how do I know if the unit I want will work with my vin?

yesthatsteve

Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse eAssist
There are aftermarket providers that will reprogram a radio to match your VIN. http://autospatech.com is one I'm looking at to reprogram the Intellilink radio in my new-to-me '13 to take a backup camera. Mine didn't come from the factory with a camera, and rearward visibility is not good. There are other providers, as well - a google search should bring them up.

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the response. I will look at them and see. I am going to pull apart my dash and see what wires i do have and what i may need if anything. I have the 2012 premium III with every option except nav. Thanks again

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
Thread starter #9
Any UHQ radio should work. I got mine from a 2013 Verano UHQ radio. UHQ has the intellilink (bluetooth).
What I ended up doing was:

1. The 2013 Verano UHQ radio had to be unlocked. I used unlocking service from
http://www.global-auto-tech.com/services/silverbox/

2. Radio worked fine, as well as the Nav. However, the keymapping did not work on the control panel. I ordered the control panel (for the radio + weather control) for 2013. Again, it didn't work. I had to take the car to the dealer to have it re-programmed for Buick LaCrosse. (I gave him a 2013 Buick LaCrosse w/ Nav VIN.)

Then all worked fine.

Oh, step 1.a. FAKRA GPS sensor had to be ordered and installed.

This is if you have UYE. If you have other radio, I'm not sure what's involved...

At the end, it ended up costing me.

1. ~$200 UHQ radio for recycler
2. ~$100 for unlock
3. ~$10 for FAKRA
4. ~$150 at the first dealer who couldn't do crap jack all.
5. ~$100 for the control panel
6. ~$150 at second dealer who fixed it all (reprogram to Buick LaCrosse from Verano... )

Over all, it cost me $710? Lol.

Does your radio already have the 8" screen? If not, you need radio to screen cable. It's a bit of challenge getting that cable...

- - - Updated - - -

erehc79, if you have 8" LCD screen, it's straight forward. :)

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
Any UHQ radio should work. I got mine from a 2013 Verano UHQ radio. UHQ has the intellilink (bluetooth).
What I ended up doing was:

1. The 2013 Verano UHQ radio had to be unlocked. I used unlocking service from
http://www.global-auto-tech.com/services/silverbox/

2. Radio worked fine, as well as the Nav. However, the keymapping did not work on the control panel. I ordered the control panel (for the radio + weather control) for 2013. Again, it didn't work. I had to take the car to the dealer to have it re-programmed for Buick LaCrosse. (I gave him a 2013 Buick LaCrosse w/ Nav VIN.)

Then all worked fine.

Oh, step 1.a. FAKRA GPS sensor had to be ordered and installed.

This is if you have UYE. If you have other radio, I'm not sure what's involved...

At the end, it ended up costing me.

1. ~$200 UHQ radio for recycler
2. ~$100 for unlock
3. ~$10 for FAKRA
4. ~$150 at the first dealer who couldn't do crap jack all.
5. ~$100 for the control panel
6. ~$150 at second dealer who fixed it all (reprogram to Buick LaCrosse from Verano... )

Over all, it cost me $710? Lol.

Does your radio already have the 8" screen? If not, you need radio to screen cable. It's a bit of challenge getting that cable...

- - - Updated - - -

erehc79, if you have 8" LCD screen, it's straight forward. :)
Yes I have the 8" screen. So looks like I am going to need the reciever, control panel and the gps sensor. As for the control panel the one from 2012 gives you the hdd button where the one from 2013 does not. I would like to go with the 2012 panel if I can.

Here is the 2012 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-11-Buick...ash=item2cbc9d5097:g:R4MAAOSwWxNY21Mh&vxp=mtr

Here is 2013 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Buick-...ash=item33c65a5c50:g:MmwAAOSwt5hYcgI0&vxp=mtr

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
Thread starter #11
Hdd button doesn't do anything on UHQ. UYS had 40GB of space for puting music on. UHQ took that feature out. UYS didn't have Bluetooth. UHQ does.

I bought the 2013 control panel from the same guy on the second link. :)

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hdd button doesn't do anything on UHQ. UYS had 40GB of space for puting music on. UHQ took that feature out. UYS didn't have Bluetooth. UHQ does.

I bought the 2013 control panel from the same guy on the second link. :)
Thanks. I ordered my parts. Waiting for everything to come in. I got it from a 2013 buick lacrosse.

plagmah

Buick Newbie
Atlanta GA
Buick Ownership
11 Lacrosse CSX
There are aftermarket providers that will reprogram a radio to match your VIN. http://autospatech.com is one I'm looking at to reprogram the Intellilink radio in my new-to-me '13 to take a backup camera. Mine didn't come from the factory with a camera, and rearward visibility is not good. There are other providers, as well - a google search should bring them up.
How did the camera upgrade go? Looking to do this for my 11 lacrosse CXS. (base radio, so it will be a big project.

faxydid

Buick Newbie
FRANCE
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello guys
can you san that the panels buttons control have need a re-programm ? (used panel control with a NAV BUTTONS)

project : retrofit navi on lacross with basic blue screen, i said that the wiring is different
thanks

sorry about my poor English language, i am french of LYON

Buick Ownership
2012 lacrosse premium 1
I am trying to o this mod to my 2012 I just got I have the base blue looking radio with Bluetooth and a cd player and the aux under the arm rest.

I seen some screens on ebay I wanted to buy but what else will I need besides the new control panel and screen

how much am I looking at to get the screen to work and will the screen work with my current cd player/silver box thanks

I want to get thios done asap I hate looking at the ugly radio my old car was a 2012 charger so it all all the fixens lol

Cincinnati Ohio
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
i am looking to do this on my 11 CXS premium so i have the GPS and all of that also heated and cooled seats , anyone can post pics after it was done please ? and i dont want to lose my cooled seats which control panel do i need and anyone have a link to it from ebay please ? thank you

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
Thread starter #17
Get 2013 UHQ radio. Unlock it (or program your VIN to it).
Find a control panel that has the features you need (cooling and heating) for the same 2013. It should fit your 2011. You may need to have the radio head unit reprogrammed for 2013 of similar option. Again, your control panel will probably not work (buttons are mismatched).

Good luck.

Sorry, I had a little one and I don't check the forum as often.

Cincinnati Ohio
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Get 2013 UHQ radio. Unlock it (or program your VIN to it).
Find a control panel that has the features you need (cooling and heating) for the same 2013. It should fit your 2011. You may need to have the radio head unit reprogrammed for 2013 of similar option. Again, your control panel will probably not work (buttons are mismatched).

Good luck.

Sorry, I had a little one and I don't check the forum as often.
thank you very much, my question is once i get the unlocked on is it just plug and play and would i retain all of my OnStar features as i use them a lot including my XM radio and also them sending direcitons straight to my car , please advice and thank you very much , also anyone have pics of the final look ?

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
Thread starter #19
Unlocked radio will allow you to retain onstar features. XM Radio, you will need to call them and activate it. Just tell them you have a new radio.

I can post... But it maybe awhile. I don't frequent this board as often.

Good luck.

thank you very much, my question is once i get the unlocked on is it just plug and play and would i retain all of my OnStar features as i use them a lot including my XM radio and also them sending direcitons straight to my car , please advice and thank you very much , also anyone have pics of the final look ?

Cincinnati Ohio
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Unlocked radio will allow you to retain onstar features. XM Radio, you will need to call them and activate it. Just tell them you have a new radio.

I can post... But it maybe awhile. I don't frequent this board as often.

Good luck.
thank you very much for all the help, let me know when you get the pics , thank you again

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.