Unibody/Sheet metal punctures - how to seal/patch

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
Soooo, if you have a puncture in your sheet metal(like a floor or a spare tire well), how do you fix that? I could bend it back, sand the surface, hit with some good primer and paint or other sealer, but then how do i.. make it not a hole? I know the patches in the trunk and other spots for factory stuff, but i dont know what those are or how to do it.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Soooo, if you have a puncture in your sheet metal(like a floor or a spare tire well), how do you fix that? I could bend it back, sand the surface, hit with some good primer and paint or other sealer, but then how do i.. make it not a hole? I know the patches in the trunk and other spots for factory stuff, but i dont know what those are or how to do it.
Flex Seal may work better than silicone in that situation. ;)

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
i would seriously take that as advice but given its a meme and a snake oil product i am not sure i can

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
No snake oil in that product!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I guess it would depend on how much you want and can do. Cutting out the bad rusted metal and welding in good metal would be the proper and most involved. Spraying the rusted area with a good converter both sides, sheet aluminum on oversized hole, fiberglass over and rubberized undercoating on both sides. It's the difference between fixed and fully repaired properly is up to the owner.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
If it was an older car, I’d use POR-15 sealer on it. A newer car, I’d get out the MIG welder and a patch panel. A classic car, I’d fabricate a new section of metal, weld it in and seam seal it. And I’ve done all of those.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I guess it would depend on how much you want and can do. Cutting out the bad rusted metal and welding in good metal would be the proper and most involved. Spraying the rusted area with a good converter both sides, sheet aluminum on oversized hole, fiberglass over and rubberized undercoating on both sides. It's the difference between fixed and fully repaired properly is up to the owner.
its not rusted, its literally like if you took a screwdriver and poked through your pop can. it must be recent.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Had the problem on the 95 Lesabre, didn't care about the appearance so did the fiberglass repair and years later it's still holding.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
Depending on how accessible both sides of the hole are & what might be laying against on side (carpet or the like), a screw or bolt (depending on the size of the hole), a couple of washers & a hex nut should make short work of it. Stainless steel hardware would probably last longer than the car & some rtv silicone between the washers & the sheet metal will make it water-tight.

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
I usually just weld a patch panel in. Unless it's a classic car, then I will get complete replacement floor pans, or fabricate and bead roll some myself. I have done the stainless bolt through trick with silicone if the hole is small enough, but usually if it is that small a MIG or TIG can fill it in short order, then grind it flat and hit it with some paint for corrosion resistance.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!