• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Unidentified sound under braking

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I have a sound that happens only at the end of braking (like coming to a stop at a stop sign). Not particularly hard braking either. There is no sound any other time, no degradation of performance, no shaking/shimmy, etc. I can't seem to isolate the sound; sometimes it sounds like brakes, sometimes it sounds like perhaps strut rattle. Possibly a shield rattling/rubbing? It is consistent, and only at the very specific moment I described. I'm going to take it to the shop, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.

Thanks.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Fuel slosh? I have a sensation but not a sound after a complete stop. A split second after stopping there is another slight surge in the car. My other thought is it could be the center or rear diff locking or unlocking.

MHoffmanPhoto

Buick Ownership
TourX
Is the sound similar to what you'd expect the ABS to sound like, minus the sensation? If so, it's probably the lower control arms. This is a very well documented issue with these cars. I'm due for an oil change, and I'll be asking my dealership to honor the TSB for this issue when I take it in.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Lower control arms TSB has been done?

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Thank you all, I had not heard about the TSB on that. That is exactly the area it sounds like it could be coming from. I'll be calling them today.

RTF

Would someone mind posting the latest TSB for this? I have the same issue and my “diagnosis” scheduled as well. I’d like to have the paperwork with me to make sure this gets handled correctly.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
If I remember correct, it is TSB 18NA163.

When I was having the problem, it would only show up when outside temperature was below 50F. Dealer replaced lower control arms. Only took one morning for tech to do the job. No problem since. Has not been too cold here in Central Florida so far this season. 52F this morning but calling for high 30’s or low 40’s tomorrow morning.

So far, replaced control arms are quiet.

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Thank you! I have an appointment for tomorrow.

On the site I posted above it showed over 400 bulletins. I don't know how accurate that is or if there are duplicates but that seems like a lot.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Thank you! I have an appointment for tomorrow.

On the site I posted above it showed over 400 bulletins. I don't know how accurate that is or if there are duplicates but that seems like a lot.
There are 224 TSBs in the system for the Regal, but many of them are general bulletins that apply to several vehicle models. I even see one in there for a manual transmission which of course these cars don't have, but it might be related to the European version of these cars which do have a manual.

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I took it to the shop for an oil changes and the "rattle." I printed the Service Bulletin and gave it to them. They came back, said they couldn't replicate the sound but went ahead and planned to replace the A Arms per the bulletin but they are on back order and have no idea how long it will take for them to arrive.

Andres2327

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I took it to the shop for an oil changes and the "rattle." I printed the Service Bulletin and gave it to them. They came back, said they couldn't replicate the sound but went ahead and planned to replace the A Arms per the bulletin but they are on back order and have no idea how long it will take for them to arrive.
I took it to the shop for same issue. They ordered parts and told me 4 to 6 business days.
This is in the Denver area

Last edited:

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
It is still safe. Just irritating.

When parts come in, the job is not as complicated as I had thought. Mine only took one morning, about four hours.

Artyldr01

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I was going to ask if there were any safety issues. Thanks for the heads up.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
It is still safe. Just irritating.

When parts come in, the job is not as complicated as I had thought. Mine only took one morning, about four hours.
So, did the dealer give you a loaner car to drive to work, or home? If not, were you stuck in the dealer waiting room for 4-hrs reading the last years old magazines?

Maypo

Carmel, IN
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
I have a 2019 that has started making a creaking noise at stop signs. I assume this is related to TSB 18NA163
However the only copy of the TSB I am able to find in the forum (or just googling around) to print out specifically only references 2018 model year Regals. Is there an updated copy available that I can print that covers 2019 model year?

Pedal Commander