• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

USB port works intermittently

Junksvan

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
I have a brand new 2019 Sportback. When I plug a USB flash drive into the ports in the center console it seems that the only time it will recognize the drive is when it is cold. As soon as things warm up I get the "No Device Connected" message. I have tried multiple different flash drives and it happens with all of them. From other posts it seems that this problem is not uncommon. Any ideas? I really don't want to have a work around as I feel you shouldn't have to "find a work around" so that you can use one of the car's features. Thanks for the help!

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
That does sound more like a problem in the HMI module--the 'normal' issue with the USB is that 30% of the time when you start the car, you'll get the 'Device not found' error; it most likely will work on the next ignition cycle. But that 30% failure is pretty constant whenever you start the car--warm/cold/anywhere in between. That, and the HMI module is one big heat sink solely dedicated to keeping the 45W audio amp IC cool which means that unit will warm-up pretty quickly.

HMI (IOS)1.JPG

rjw

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
What version of the Infotainment software do you have? Mine did the same thing but was resolved when they upgraded me to 22.9.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
I am on software version 22.9 and more times than not I have to plug and unplug my iPhone 11 several times before the system finally figures out that something is plugged in to the USB port.

Junksvan

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
Yeah, from what I am reading it's time to take it to the dealership. I'll probably get one or more of the usual GM Canada responses...never heard of this before. Weird. It didn't trip any codes. Nothing we can do. What's the internet? Forums - you can't trust them. That's only in the States.
It's always an adventure. Thanks for all your help!!

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yeah, from what I am reading it's time to take it to the dealership. I'll probably get one or more of the usual GM Canada responses...never heard of this before. Weird. It didn't trip any codes. Nothing we can do. What's the internet? Forums - you can't trust them. That's only in the States.
It's always an adventure. Thanks for all your help!!
Sometimes I like like to blame the dealers but I think the way the network is set up is to blame. I found that out the hard way with my wife's Ford. In the end I found out the dealer can do what they want since the manufacturer has no control over them since they are independent owners. The dealers do as little as possible unless there is a TSB since there is nothing in it for them to troubleshoot. Their return for warranty work is only what the manufacturer offers. So hours of troubleshooting is lost revenue. To make things worse, the mechanics are sometimes independent so they have no allegiance to anyone.

Good luck...but at least you are expecting a poor response, so now you can only be pleasantly surprised.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
I am on software version 22.9 and more times than not I have to plug and unplug my iPhone 11 several times before the system finally figures out that something is plugged in to the USB port.
I just returned from a short trip and could not get CarPlay to start at all this time. I plugged and unplugged the USB cord from the phone, from the console port, changed the port I plugged in to, shut the car off, started the car again. NOTHING worked. I must have plugged and unplugged over a dozen times with no success. I was able to play music via Bluetooth.. When I clicked on the USB icon (audio screen) it shows "No Device Connected". Maybe I need to try a new cable? Anyone else have this issue with iPhone and Apple CarPlay?

UPDATE: I just discovered that the USB to Lightning cable that I've been using is NOT a genuine Apple brand cable so I just ordered one from Apple online and will try it out when it arrives Monday. Maybe that will solve my connectivity issue.

Last edited:

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
My guess is;

1..New Cable.
2..Upgrade to 22.10.

i was having problems charging my iPhone 5. Replaced Lighting cable. Worked fine.

Another time, my iPhone 5S would not charge. Cleaned the tip of the Lightning cable with Rubbing Alcohol. Worked fine after that.

My main phone is now an iPhone SE (2nd gen). No problems (yet).
(Sure I can use the wireless charging with this SE but I use an Otterbox Defender and it does not fit in the slot). (Otterbox is reason my 5’s and 5S have lasted so long even though I’ve dropped them many times).

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I had the same problem, it was resolved with a Software upgrade. My USB drive wasn’t recognized once in a while but ok now. GS 2019 Canada

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
I just returned from a short trip and could not get CarPlay to start at all this time. I plugged and unplugged the USB cord from the phone, from the console port, changed the port I plugged in to, shut the car off, started the car again. NOTHING worked. I must have plugged and unplugged over a dozen times with no success. I was able to play music via Bluetooth.. When I clicked on the USB icon (audio screen) it shows "No Device Connected". Maybe I need to try a new cable? Anyone else have this issue with iPhone and Apple CarPlay?

UPDATE: I just discovered that the USB to Lightning cable that I've been using is NOT a genuine Apple brand cable so I just ordered one from Apple online and will try it out when it arrives Monday. Maybe that will solve my connectivity issue.
UPDATE 2: I used the brand new, Apple branded USB to lightning cable today. Same thing again. Plug and unplug cable to iPhone and CarPlay won't start. I just drove on using Bluetooth audio. Stopped for gas and left phone connected. Started car after fueling and CarPlay starting working. Then, I reset the trip odometer in the DIC and accidentally navigated to the audio screen. "MEDIA INDEXING 49%" came up in the DIC and there was no escape. I was stuck on that screen and it never moved from 49% in 15 minutes of driving. What next?!?!?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
On my red needle there will be times where it won't recognize any USB devices. I have a flash drive in one of the USB ports and a USB>Lightning cable in the other for my iPhone. The only thing that gets it to work again is the "full reset" of: power off, open door, shut door, leave for a while, come back and try again. It usually happens when I'm in a hurry to get out the door.

It's a dice roll with how fast CarPlay will "boot" as well. Sometimes it's instant. Other times it takes a while to be recognized. It's also a dice roll to see if music plays from Spotify, or if it plays from 'Music' on the iPhone (this is more common).

Fun. Fun. Fun.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!