vacuum hose mess

Stock Rocks

Buick Ownership
1969 Riviera
I just bought a 69 Riviera that has the wrong carburator on it and the vacuum hoses going to the ported vacuum switch are messed up. I can't find a engine vacuum hose diagram on Google. Can someone help me out. I'd also like to buy the correct color stripped hoses for the engine and hideaway headlights. I may have to get them for a different vehicle. I found a great hose diagram for the headlights on this forum but not for the engine. Thanks to anyone that can help.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
This should have been the 1st thing you bought after the car,

All your answers will be in this Manual.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's two forums which may be helpful on the hose diagram and OEM style replacement hoses. Not sure on your vehicle but GM used air pumps on some vehicles, had a pair of 68 Cadillac's one did and one didn't, but something to be aware of when looking at vacuum hose routing.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
I just bought a 69 Riviera that has the wrong carburator on it and the vacuum hoses going to the ported vacuum switch are messed up. I can't find a engine vacuum hose diagram on Google. Can someone help me out. I'd also like to buy the correct color stripped hoses for the engine and hideaway headlights. I may have to get them for a different vehicle. I found a great hose diagram for the headlights on this forum but not for the engine. Thanks to anyone that can help.
The correct carburetor for a 1969 Riviera with a 430, is part# 7029241 Quadrajet. As far as I know, that engine doesn't use a ported vacuum switch. Are you sure that it is original to the engine?

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Stock Rocks

Buick Ownership
1969 Riviera
Thank you Larry. Yes 7029241 should be the correct carburator for the 69 Riv. It has a 7043208 on it right now which is for a 73 Chevrolet truck. The fuel lines have been thrown away and replaced with rubber hoses from front to rear. What a mess I'm getting myself into. Yes I think the ported vacuum switch is correct. Every other 68-69 Riv that I look at has one and the engine is correct numbers matching. I will for sure buy that manual if I end up keeping the car.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
OK, I did some research on the TeamBuick site. They have online chassis manuals. The section on emissions control explained the thermo vacuum switch.

A.JPG
B.JPG
Some guys are sticklers for originality. If you are, then the above will explain how to connect the switch. If you are not, then eliminating the entire system will make for a better running engine.

The reason for the system is to reduce emissions. The distributor used from the factory was part number 1111335. Check to see if that distributor is still installed in the engine. It might not be. That distributor had 30-34* of mechanical advance, so it was meant to be initially timed at TDC (0*). It also used ported vacuum advance, so there was no vacuum advance at idle. An engine that idles at TDC in stop and go traffic is liable to overheat because of the retarded timing. Retarded timing like that is better for emissions.

The only reason for that switch is in case the coolant temperature ever reached 220*, the thermo vacuum switch would supply manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance. That would advance the timing a full 14-18*, and speed up the idle speed. That would bring down the coolant temperature.

If you have a different distributor part number, the ignition requirements as far as initial timing could be completely different.

The engine will run better and cooler if you revise the ignition timing and get rid of the thermo vacuum switch.

Stock Rocks

Buick Ownership
1969 Riviera
Does anyone have a Quadrajet #7029241 for sale? I saw one the other day on a forum but I can't find it now. I also need the correct fuel sender with electric pump, the electrical lead for the sender/pump. I need used headlight vacuum actuators, mounting brackets, bolts, and vacuum hoses that run behind the grill. I also need a fuel pump block off plate.