• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Vacuum Pump Disintegrated (2014 Regal)

t_house

Buick Newbie
Valparaiso IN
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal T
I have a 2014 Regal T with the 2.0L LTG engine. It currently has 50,727 miles. The other night I went out to my car to leave and noticed a decent amount of oil on my garage floor coming from my car. I popped the hood and there was oil all over the driver's side of the engine compartment. After removing the engine cover, I see a part that has a visible crack/break in it. I had no idea what the part was then but after looking online I find that it's a vacuum pump. The next day I went to the dealership to find out about warranty coverage and they informed me that my bumper to bumper warranty expired 229 miles prior and also it expired on 10/13/18. This happened on 2/4/19 so of course things will start breaking. I feel that the vacuum pump should be covered under the powertrain warranty as it is directly connected to and driven by the intake camshaft. Long story short, I ordered a new vacuum pump. In the process of replacing it, when I removed the old one, it basically fell apart as it was in several pieces on the inside, possibly with some pieces still inside the engine. Tomorrow I plan on going back to the dealership and discussing this further. I feel like I'll also be calling Buick/GM to try and get the help that I paid for when I bought a vehicle that was still under warranty. I am posting pictures of what a new pump looks like and what mine looks like.

Attachments

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
That appears to be a possible poor casting stress fracture from the pictures, just a opinion. It's not a engine component that a end user would normally have access or need to make any adjustments on. More than likely a Buick vendor supplied part with material defect and workmanship. Just from what can be observed from the photos, but look for small voids or porosity in the parts and that may help in getting them to cover some of the cost when explaining it.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
That's some major damage there. It looks more like a total failure of the pump than some porosity in the casting.

The vacuum pump is considered an accessory. It's not a part of the engine assembly so I can see why the dealer won't warranty it under the powertrain warranty.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The emissions warranty is only 2 years/24K miles except as noted:

Federal Emission Control System Warranty Federal Warranty Coverage . Car or Light Duty Truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs. or less ‐ 2 years or 24,000 miles and 8 years or 80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, vehicle/ powertrain control module, transmission control module or other onboard emissions diagnostic device, including emission-related software, whichever comes first.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
Wow, buy the part and fix the issue. I've done all warranty work with the dealer and thats it. Last time i went was when the recall for both tailights for condensation. Granted took 3x to get the parts correct, everytime the new parts failed. So i said screw it and bought the tailights myself and did the install myself with parts, a year later no condensation. These kids now a days that get out of tech school dont have the passion of cars how it was before.

But when if the bumper to bumper warranty expired, you can fight it but most likly they will tell you its EXPIRED and PAY IT or GO SOMEWHERE else. 3 months ago, ehh if it was me, i'd TRY but most likely they'll do a discount but not warranty it.

My BMW M3 they do all my warranty work, but oil changes, transmission, brakes, cooling and other crap ill do myself. I dont have time to call these people and start something to where they'll either say no sorry or yes but 98.9 % of the time they'll take your money. Good luck man

t_house

Buick Newbie
Valparaiso IN
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal T
I am currently in the process of removing the camshaft cover so I can make sure that no broken parts are in the engine. Better safe than sorry. I am using the online Chilton manual as a guide but I feel like it leaves some steps out, like it assumes you have already done this and that. I would appreciate any help in showing me perhaps what the step by step process should be. For instance, do I have to drain the coolant?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
There shouldn't be any coolant under the camshaft cover. But if there is it wont be much so you dont need to be concerned

t_house

Buick Newbie
Valparaiso IN
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal T
There shouldn't be any coolant under the camshaft cover. But if there is it wont be much so you dont need to be concerned
When is removed the engine coolant air bleed pipe from the top of the cover, a little bit of coolant welled up through the hole that the pipe goes in.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
I am currently in the process of removing the camshaft cover so I can make sure that no broken parts are in the engine. Better safe than sorry. I am using the online Chilton manual as a guide but I feel like it leaves some steps out, like it assumes you have already done this and that. I would appreciate any help in showing me perhaps what the step by step process should be. For instance, do I have to drain the coolant?
Just make sure you follow the torque bolt setup and dont rush it or things down the road will fail. Good luck and keep us posted