Value Power VP-78 battery

Rocky1

Buick Ownership
2001 Lesabre
Hi, I'm on a tight budget... The battery in my 01 Lesabre is a 2008 and it is beginning to weaken some. I've bought several Value Craft $50 batteries from Walmart with the 1 year free replacement and never had any issues in some of my old beaters. Today I was browsing their catalog and it showed a EverStart 78-S for $100 and right beside it was a VP-78 for $50, CCA was close if not the same. I asked one of the automotive salesman about the VP and he said we have no listing for the Value Power batteries and can't guarantee fitment, so I asked another because I think it's pretty dumb to sell batteries without a application guide. Both are made by Johnson Controls. The cheaper battery has the connections for the vent hook-ups. I like to be safe considering its under the seat. Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
All the batteries in this price margin for about $50.00 will more or less give you what you pay for, a battery that is good for 1 year worth of service. The technology on a more expensive battery has to do with cells and warranty period, over simplified I know.

So if you got a $150.00 battery with a 3 year warranty, price wise, it works out to the same cost per year. But it something you don't need to replace yearly. Usually they may have higher CCA which if you live in a area were the temperature is on the brutal cold side of winter it makes a wiser choice.

As a side note, back when the dinosaurs were around, JC Penny's use to have a life time replacement battery. I had it for a car that only saw summer driving so before spring would arrive I made sure it was completely dead, new battery for the summer. Got a bunch of years out of that purchase lol.

Rocky1

Buick Ownership
2001 Lesabre
I think the Walmart batteries are a bit lower on CCA. The OEM specs are 690/770 so I think I'll go with a much better battery 800/1000 from Advance, a bit more $ but a peace of mind. Thanks

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Location will make a difference, southern states really don't need to worry to much about the CCA, but in northern states CCA choice is the difference between having a good day or this really sucks day LOL.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.