Vehicle button unclickable in settings

pali4life

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence AWD
OG 2018 UI... works perfect for me. I poked around in it last night.
I know the system is open sourced so I’m wondering if there are developers/programmers in the community that tried to look into the infotainment system, really curious as to what could be done if figured out how to change the system

pali4life

Buick Ownership
I
2018.5+ Regals received an updated software UI. The physical buttons are the same but the screen looks quite a bit different.
I don’t know why but that updated UI looks childish and ugly. -_- tbh rather stick to the og one

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I don’t know why but that updated UI looks childish and ugly. -_- tbh rather stick to the og one
Haha yeah I can see where you're coming from and there are a lot of members on here that would agree with you! I appreciate the simplicity of the new one. It's basic, clean, and has a stock Android look to it.

Maybe we should have a thread to show all of the visual differences between each UI.

pali4life

Buick Ownership
Can we be friends?

I’ve been chatting with some of my Linux software buds about our UI. I’ll keep you posted.
Of course we can :) I’m going to be trying things with software side. Probably side install Linux and then go from there. I’m not a programmer but I have some decent knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes

pali4life

Buick Ownership
Haha yeah I can see where you're coming from and there are a lot of members on here that would agree with you! I appreciate the simplicity of the new one. It's basic, clean, and has a stock Android look to it.

Maybe we should have a thread to show all of the visual differences between each UI.
I mean I can’t deny I enjoy basic and friendly but common versus the competition and what they have to offer blows these UI away! Looks like GM decided to hire 3 year olds. I could make that UI look in like 10 min. No effort was made at all and it’s annoying.

pali4life

Buick Ownership
@pali4life, at least mine works 😉

I kid, I kid. It all comes down to personal preference and I'd say we both got the version we wanted!
Haha touché 😂 BUT I’ve talked to the dealership and it looks like they need the car for a few days. Most likely they will flash the software with their tool that I wish I had my hands on :(

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
The new UI developer mode is enabled like an Android phone since that is was the new UI uses as a platform. I think it is build date/version 10 times and you are there.

pali4life

Buick Ownership
The new UI developer mode is enabled like an Android phone since that is was the new UI uses as a platform. I think it is build date/version 10 times and you are there.
Are you serious? It's android based? Linux is far superior in every way compared to an android system, If they really made the switch, It has to be the stupidest mistake they've made!

bespinct

Buick Ownership
TourX
Are you serious? It's android based? Linux is far superior in every way compared to an android system, If they really made the switch, It has to be the stupidest mistake they've made!
Isn't Android Linux based? And while Linux is great, there is a lot of effort required by the car makers to develop the front end. Using Android, they can reduce that front end development significantly. It's the same benefit that QNX and Windows embedded used to offer. Is it the right way? Maybe not, but we know choosing between labor intensive or not, most companies will go the less expensive route. That, and if the display works like our phone, there is a reduced learning curve to figure out how the system works. Doesn't make everyone happy...but nothing does.

pali4life

Buick Ownership
Isn't Android Linux based? And while Linux is great, there is a lot of effort required by the car makers to develop the front end. Using Android, they can reduce that front end development significantly. It's the same benefit that QNX and Windows embedded used to offer. Is it the right way? Maybe not, but we know choosing between labor intensive or not, most companies will go the less expensive route. That, and if the display works like our phone, there is a reduced learning curve to figure out how the system works. Doesn't make everyone happy...but nothing does.
I apologize for my mistake as I did not know Android was based on Linux. And you’re right, it is the less expensive route. I just got Linux installed on my Mac and downloaded the source code, extracted the files and boy are there a lot of files. But the way I see it, how would one go about modifying the cars software? Is there a tool? A special device? Does it connect through the cars diagnostic port?

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I apologize for my mistake as I did not know Android was based on Linux. And you’re right, it is the less expensive route. I just got Linux installed on my Mac and downloaded the source code, extracted the files and boy are there a lot of files. But the way I see it, how would one go about modifying the cars software? Is there a tool? A special device? Does it connect through the cars diagnostic port?
I believe you would use Op-com to perform the changes one would do on a VAG with VAG-com.

pali4life

Buick Ownership
Hello all, I have an update for you guys regarding the software issue. So I had it taken to the dealership where I purchased it and told them about the issues of not being able to acces the vehicle settings or be able to do a factory reset. I was told it was gonna take some time and need to leave the car with them. They gave me a loaner car to use.

Next day I get a call saying that whoever was working on it reflashed the HMI which is the software and the vehicle settings would work a few times and then go back to doing the same thing again. So I guess they were surprised as much as I was when I heard that.

So they told me they need to replace the computer chip which they think is really the problem. They changed it out and I’m guessing put the software back on and what do you know, it’s now working without problems and I now have access to features I didn’t have before 😭

What’s really strange is that it was the computer chip and not just some reflash of the software. Has me wondering if it’s a special kind of chip designed to be used specifically for auto shows while cars being sold have a normal chip in them.

But I am happy that it’s finally taken care of and I appreciate everyone’s suggestions and feedback on this issue and can finally put this forum to rest :)

Anaduff

St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
I don't remember seeing anything in a socket when I was in the HMI module, so I'm guessing they just replaced the whole module. I mean, I don't see a GM dealership having a SMD re-work station available. Anyway--glad to hear they acknowledged, located & repaired the problem [insert fanfare here].