verano stalling randomly w/ service power steering light on

levih47

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
I recently purchased a 2013 buick verano. me and the wife love the car but after about a month or 2 of having the car we started having issues where the car would stall out at randoms times. and once the vehicle has stalled out it will throw a message up on the message center saying service power steering. everything else in the vehicle works but the vehicle will not start back up until you hard reset the vehicle (unplug battery for about 30 secs) and then the car will run flawless again for a while. there is no pattern for when it shuts off or if it is gonna it is completely random. i am not a certified tech but i am a very mechanically inclined person and i am absolutely stumped. i have scowered the internet and have not been able to find anything that is even remotely close to the problems we are having. we are desperate to find the answer to this problem so we can start fulling enjoying our buick! all help is appreciated thanks in advance! also its worth noting that it doesnt throw any codes while this is happening

levih47

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
thanks i have actually checked both these sites already and neither of these sites describe what is going on with ym vehicle i know for a fact that the stalling and the service power steering messgae are related because one doesnt show withoit the other

Maverick7

Buick Ownership
Buick
Part #13363864..... Negative battery cable needs replacement. You can find this issue all over youtube with the Chevy Cruze's, and other GM models. Easy fix, the dealership will tell you they can't duplicate the problem but have a look on youtube.

Last edited:

levih47

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
Part #13363864..... Negative battery cable needs replacement. You can find this issue all over youtube with the Chevy Cruze's, and other GM models. Easy fix, the dealership will tell you they can't duplicate the problem but have a look on youtube.
where on youtube did yoy find similar issues? i have looked everywhere! would a bad batt. cable really cause the power steering service message?

levih47

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
so i checked out a few videos on youtube it sounds like a similar issue so i will try to replace the cable seeing as how it is only $20 however the videos i watched were only similar in ways. none were exactly what was happening to my car

Maverick7

Buick Ownership
Buick
Let me know if the issue went away after or is still present after installation. I have the Dealership Buick Verano service manual for this vehicle. I'm having a look through. This manual is literally the Bible for the Verano.

levih47

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
Let me know if the issue went away after or is still present after installation. I have the Dealership Buick Verano service manual for this vehicle. I'm having a look through. This manual is literally the Bible for the Verano.
will do i plan on getting it today after work

Gizmobiaritz

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano 2.4
I too am waiting for my cable.

For the Cruze, this is the Bulletin explaining the symptoms:

As the owner of a 2011-2015 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2011-2015 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles may have a condition where the negative battery cable terminal clamp may have an insufficient crimp at the battery negative terminal. Over time, the internal resistance increases and vehicle electrical systems do not receive adequate power. With this condition, the following effects are possible: the Radio/HVAC Display may turn off and on; the Antilock Brake System, Service Traction System, Service Stabilitrac and Steering vehicle messages may come on and off; the turn signal sound may not be heard; “Battery Saver Active” and “Service Steering” may display in the Driver Information Center (DIC); and the interior and exterior lighting may flicker. Power steering assist may also be lost, and greater effort may be needed to turn the steering wheel at low speeds or while the vehicle is stopped.

Vic

Buick Ownership
2013 buick verano 2.0 turbo manual
I recently purchased a 2013 buick verano. me and the wife love the car but after about a month or 2 of having the car we started having issues where the car would stall out at randoms times. and once the vehicle has stalled out it will throw a message up on the message center saying service power steering. everything else in the vehicle works but the vehicle will not start back up until you hard reset the vehicle (unplug battery for about 30 secs) and then the car will run flawless again for a while. there is no pattern for when it shuts off or if it is gonna it is completely random. i am not a certified tech but i am a very mechanically inclined person and i am absolutely stumped. i have scowered the internet and have not been able to find anything that is even remotely close to the problems we are having. we are desperate to find the answer to this problem so we can start fulling enjoying our buick! all help is appreciated thanks in advance! also its worth noting that it doesnt throw any codes while this is happening
My mother had the same problem in an older buick after replacing a bunch of costly items for no reason it was some kind of module that needed replaced but im not exactly sure what kind it was...

levih47

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
My mother had the same problem in an older buick after replacing a bunch of costly items for no reason it was some kind of module that needed replaced but im not exactly sure what kind it was...
think you could possibly find out?

levih47

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
helpful mu
I too am waiting for my cable.

For the Cruze, this is the Bulletin explaining the symptoms:

As the owner of a 2011-2015 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2011-2015 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles may have a condition where the negative battery cable terminal clamp may have an insufficient crimp at the battery negative terminal. Over time, the internal resistance increases and vehicle electrical systems do not receive adequate power. With this condition, the following effects are possible: the Radio/HVAC Display may turn off and on; the Antilock Brake System, Service Traction System, Service Stabilitrac and Steering vehicle messages may come on and off; the turn signal sound may not be heard; “Battery Saver Active” and “Service Steering” may display in the Driver Information Center (DIC); and the interior and exterior lighting may flicker. Power steering assist may also be lost, and greater effort may be needed to turn the steering wheel at low speeds or while the vehicle is stopped.
awesome! mine will be here tomorrow

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.