Verano Turbo Fuel Economy on 93 Octane

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano Premium Turbo
I drove my Verano turbo on an 86 mile road trip today. The weather was good; calm winds and temperature in the low 50s. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the trip computer and it showed I achieved 33.6 miles per gallon on Chevron 93 octane that contained up to 10% ethanol. :) My speeds varied from 50 mph to 70 mph.

Anyone else pleased with their highway fuel economy?

Mikebinok

Oklahoma
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano Turbo
Last weekend I got 32 mpg on a hundred mile drive over slightly hilly terrain in my new Verano Turbo. This according to the trip computer, not by actual fill up. Speeds varied as I didn't use cruise control, but I'd say average was 65 or slightly less. I was still on the gas from my initial tank from the dealer, I suspect it was regular rather than premium. I let it get quite low before filling it up with ethanol-free Premium, hopefully I'll do slightly better on my next road trip.

Last edited:

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
Mike,

I have no source of ethanol free Top Tier premium gasoline in my area of the country. :mad: I want to use only Top Tier gas since that is what GM recommends owners use in their cars.

Last edited:

Mikebinok

Oklahoma
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano Turbo
Mike,

I have no source of ethanol free Top Tier premium gasoline in my area of the country. :mad: I want to use only Top Tier gas since that is what GM recommends owner's use in their cars.

Here in the Oil Patch of Oklahoma, we have good options for ethanol-free, I've been using Philips 66, which is supposedly Top Tier. On my previous car, a 2003 Volvo S60 with a turbo engine, I always got better mpg, and had an unscientific perception of more power with non-ethanol Premium.

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
Here in the Oil Patch of Oklahoma, we have good options for ethanol-free, I've been using Philips 66, which is supposedly Top Tier. On my previous car, a 2003 Volvo S60 with a turbo engine, I always got better mpg, and had an unscientific perception of more power with non-ethanol Premium.

You are lucky! There is only one gas station in my area that has 93 octane ethanol free gasoline but it is not Top Tier. One of the local Shell stations started offering 87 octane gas with no ethanol but it is labeled on the pump as not a Shell product.

miou

Buick Ownership
Buick Verano
Man. I've dropped down to 21mpg from 25.4mpg (in 2012 Verano). I have no idea how you're achieving these numbers, but awesome! :)

This is average MPG, about 70/30 highway/city.

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
Man. I've dropped down to 21mpg from 25.4mpg (in 2012 Verano). I have no idea how you're achieving these numbers, but awesome! :)

This is average MPG, about 70/30 highway/city.

I was surprised with the 33.6 mpg figure myself since I had only been getting between 28-31 miles per gallon on the previous tanks of gasoline. I think the weather was ideal and I tried to accelerate in a manor to reduce the turbo boost for increased fuel economy. My tires were inflated to 37 psi so that may have been a contributing factor to my fuel economy.

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
Re: Verano Turbo Fuel Economy on 87 Octane

My Verano Turbo returned 33.5 MPG today on a 85 mile highway trip using 87 octane. The good fuel economy continues! :D

DonP

VA
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick LaCrosse.
Based on energy content, expect 10% ethanol blend to give 3% lower MPG than 100% gasoline.

Using lower than required octane gas could result in retarded spark to avoid knock, and lead to reduced MPG.

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
I did the same 80 plus mile highway trip yesterday on 87 octane Chevron "Top Tier" fuel and the trip computer showed 33.2 miles per gallon. My speeds on this trip ranged from 55 to 70 mph. My fuel economy is consistent on this weekly highway trip.

I want to see how the summer blend gasoline will change the fuel economy numbers.

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
Have any of you calculated your mpg? My experience with cts, enclave and Camaros is the built in mpg calculator is rather optimistic.

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
Have any of you calculated your mpg? My experience with cts, enclave and Camaros is the built in mpg calculator is rather optimistic.

jimmyh,

I have a fuel purchase log and have recorded each time I have added gasoline to my 2013 Verano turbo. I calculate the mpg's the old fashion way and compare that to the trip computer's mpg calculations. The following is the results from my last five fill ups:

Trip Computer- My Calculation
29.4 -31.17
22.0 -20.3 (All city driving)
30.0 -31.34
22.1 -20.56 (All city driving)
30.1 -31.53

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
Verano Turbo Highway MPGs

Three weeks ago I had a tail wind and my trip computer calculated 36.4 mpgs on my regular 88 mile highway trip. This was the highest ever because of the strong tail wind. Last week my trip computer was 34.2 mpgs on the usual 88 mile highway trip. Today my Varano's trip computer calculated 34.1 mpgs on the same 88 mile trip. My fuel mileage is remarkably consistent. I have yet to use the A/C so it will be interesting to see how much my fuel economy will decrease in hot temperatures with the A/C in use.

I would like to know the fuel economy other Verano turbo owners are getting with their cars in highway driving. Anyone like to share their mpg numbers with me?

jimmyh

Floating like a Buick
Chicagoland
Buick Ownership
15 Enclave, 16 Verano Turbo, 2010 Camaro SS
Good stuff. I am getting excited. My verano is getting built April 8th.
I just filled up the camaro. 22 mpg all hwy. The lesabre was a tick better at 23. The enclave trudges on around 16.
It will be nice to have fuel miser again.

WASP

Alabama
Buick Ownership
jimmhy,

I drive like there is an egg between my foot and the car's accelerator but I do allow myself a little "turbo boost" on occasion! ;)

Get your turbo buick badge right here!