Want to improve Stereo Sound quality?

RDB

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX
I have had my 2020 Encore GX (1.3 L ST) a little over a month. I must say that I am very impressed with the vehicle based on price point. The non Bose stereo sound is marginally OK for my ears. Not really happy with the quality. I would very much like to improve the sound quality. I love quality music. Not banging, thumping bass that you can hear a mile away. But, good crisp high, medium and low end sound quality. Have been considering adding a high quality AMP and possibly upgrading the speakers. This would hopefully increase high and medium range quality while enhancing bass at a civil level.

However, I have one major concern and one question for which I could use some advice.

1) The major concern: When researching high end 4 and 5 channel AMP's that would fit my 2020 Encore GX, it appears that when adding an AMP, it requires disconnecting or disabling the ANC. Does anyone have any factual information about this? What would be the consequence(s) of disconnecting the ANC? This action does not sound like a good idea to me. I have been impressed with the noise level in the GX. It seems better than our Toyota Avalon!

2) The question: I cannot find any detailed specifications regarding the installed stock factory speakers? Watts? Are the door speakers two way speakers? Etc. At this point I can't even determine how many watts the factory speakers are capable of handling. Do not have enough information to 1) determine if it would be worthwhile replacing the speakers and 2) what wattage AMP could the factory speakers handle? Does anyone have any knowledge about the stock factory speaker specifications?

Appreciate any knowledgeable advice, suggestions or facts!

RDB

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX
Have you looked at crutchfield.com?
Yes I have. In my opinion that is the best site for such matters. It is also where I got the "warning" about the need to disconnect the ANC. The question remains, What are the consequences of disconnecting the ANC?

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Yes I have. In my opinion that is the best site for such matters. It is also where I got the "warning" about the need to disconnect the ANC. The question remains, What are the consequences of disconnecting the ANC?

Those who have added amps without disconnecting the ANC have found that it amplifies the ANC even when the head unit isn't being used. In other words amplified white noise that instead of cancelling you can hear.

The idea annoys me because like you I like good sound. My wife's Encore does not have the Bose system and the sound quality is mediocre at best. An amp and some better speakers would bring it out. But I also like the quiet that the ANC provides. That said if we're together the music is at a low to moderate volume anyway, and I rarely drive it alone.

My 2016 Silverado on the other hand has the Bose system, and it's pretty decent. The best Bose I had in a GM was my '99 Cadillac Catera. But I do miss the days when you could easily tear out the head unit and replace it with aftermarket equipment.

Raptorknight

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
Hello RDB,

I can let you know my experience. The door speakers are 6.5 inch speakers built into a plastic basically cone that seals really well against the door. I purchased 2 sets of the Infinity Reference speakers and customized the cones to mount the speakers in. The sound quality went up a lot, but I got a horrible Bass sound through the speakers that may or may not be related to the ANC whether the radio is on or not. It stops most of the time at a stop. No one has been able to get me a right answer on it, I nicked a speaker wire on the passenger side from splitting the sheath on the speaker wire, so I took that off and wrapped it in tape and put the speaker back on without the door panel and it seemed to fix the problem. I put the door panel back together and the problem returned. Ends up whenever I plugged in the "window switch" which I believe is tied into a few other things like the door sensors ETC, the problem returns. I talked to the local radio guys and they want to do some test on it to see if there is a bad ground or something.
The speakers sound much better then the stock ones which are complete garbage. My next step is going to be replacing the tweeters, which should also help a lot.

RDB

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX
Hello RDB,

I can let you know my experience. The door speakers are 6.5 inch speakers built into a plastic basically cone that seals really well against the door. I purchased 2 sets of the Infinity Reference speakers and customized the cones to mount the speakers in. The sound quality went up a lot, but I got a horrible Bass sound through the speakers that may or may not be related to the ANC whether the radio is on or not. It stops most of the time at a stop. No one has been able to get me a right answer on it, I nicked a speaker wire on the passenger side from splitting the sheath on the speaker wire, so I took that off and wrapped it in tape and put the speaker back on without the door panel and it seemed to fix the problem. I put the door panel back together and the problem returned. Ends up whenever I plugged in the "window switch" which I believe is tied into a few other things like the door sensors ETC, the problem returns. I talked to the local radio guys and they want to do some test on it to see if there is a bad ground or something.
The speakers sound much better then the stock ones which are complete garbage. My next step is going to be replacing the tweeters, which should also help a lot.
Thanks Raptorknight,
It is unclear to me from your message whether the horrible “bass sound” ever went away?

Changing out the speakers should not have any impact on the ANC device. Critchfield only warns about the need of bypassing or bridging the ANC when an AMP is installed. A simple speaker swap should

Was glad to hear of sound quality improvement. Did you notice any specification markings on the old/factory speakers that you removed? Wattage ratings? We’re they two way speakers?
Thanks-RDB

Raptorknight

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
IMG_0081.jpg IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0084.jpg Thanks Raptorknight,
It is unclear to me from your message whether the horrible “bass sound” ever went away?

Changing out the speakers should not have any impact on the ANC device. Critchfield only warns about the need of bypassing or bridging the ANC when an AMP is installed. A simple speaker swap should

Was glad to hear of sound quality improvement. Did you notice any specification markings on the old/factory speakers that you removed? Wattage ratings? We’re they two way speakers?
Thanks-RDB

So I don't remember seeing markings on the Speakers, they were horrible flimsy fabric speakers built into the plastic cone.
As for the Bass noise, I took it into a radio shop today and their expert said that it was definitely the ANC. The mics are picking up the noise of the engine etc and putting out the canceling noise. Since the new speakers have a lot more mid range base, the mic is picking up that extra noise and pushing out more "cancellation" when I unplugged the window switch which has the door sensor in it, the system is saying that the door is open so the ANC is not trying to cancel noise. I will definitely have to disconnect the Mic or the ANC system to stop it.

The Stock Speakers were just the main cones, they were not 2 way. There are no marking on the speakers, they may have been on the cone, but I'm not pulling back out my speakers.

Let me know if you want more info on what I did to mount the 6.5 and if you end up replacing the Tweeters, let me know how it goes, that maybe my next project.

RDB

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX
So I don't remember seeing markings on the Speakers, they were horrible flimsy fabric speakers built into the plastic cone.
As for the Bass noise, I took it into a radio shop today and their expert said that it was definitely the ANC. The mics are picking up the noise of the engine etc and putting out the canceling noise. Since the new speakers have a lot more mid range base, the mic is picking up that extra noise and pushing out more "cancellation" when I unplugged the window switch which has the door sensor in it, the system is saying that the door is open so the ANC is not trying to cancel noise. I will definitely have to disconnect the Mic or the ANC system to stop it.

The Stock Speakers were just the main cones, they were not 2 way. There are no marking on the speakers, they may have been on the cone, but I'm not pulling back out my speakers.

Let me know if you want more info on what I did to mount the 6.5 and if you end up replacing the Tweeters, let me know how it goes, that maybe my next project.
Thank you for the effort of replying. Appreciated. Based on your input I am now concerned about even changing out the cheap speakers. Your information suggests to me that any upgrade/modification will require the ANC to be disabled. The consequences of disabling the ANC are inconclusive.
Thanks

Raptorknight

Buick Ownership
Encore GX
Thank you for the effort of replying. Appreciated. Based on your input I am now concerned about even changing out the cheap speakers. Your information suggests to me that any upgrade/modification will require the ANC to be disabled. The consequences of disabling the ANC are inconclusive.
Thanks
Rumor has it that if you have the Bose system, there is an option in the settings on the stereo to turn off the ANC. It seems to be a problem. I haven't noticed a huge difference sound wise with it not working.

Outtolearn88

Buick Ownership
Encore

Thanks for sharing this with all of us here. A must know, before taking on this project of replacing the speakers.
👍🌈

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
You all are nutty, I like good stereos too And I find the base stereo in my 2019 to be fantastic, and the GX is supposed to have an improved stereo... I can't See why anyone would need to improve it... The technology in this stock system is amazing..

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
You all are nutty, I like good stereos too And I find the base stereo in my 2019 to be fantastic, and the GX is supposed to have an improved stereo... I can't See why anyone would need to improve it... The technology in this stock system is amazing..
Everyone's ears and desired sound quality is different. "Good stereo" is a nebulous term and means something different to you than it does to me. Your "amazing" may only be adequate to me, or outright crap. Calling someone nutty because they want improved sound shows you don't get that concept.

The single best stock GM system I owned was the Bose system in my '99 Cadillac Catera. the clarity was excellent, bass fantastically deep and resonating, but the highs were tinny. That was my only complaint. My '06 Chevy HHR had a 250 watt Pioneer system that was very good, as was the Bose system in my '03 Trailblazer. My current 2016 Silverado has a Bose system, it's pretty good but not great. My wife's 2016 Encore base system is just OK with the windows closed and low volume, but otherwise sucks.

G-379098

I just got the 2020 encore gx st 2 days ago and the speakers are absolute trash!! And trying to research how to swap or add anything just seems impossible! Impossible to the point im not sure the actual audio installers aren't going to know. I just want my system back or even aftermarket door speakers and tweeters why does the new technology have to be such a pain!!

DarionGX

Buick Ownership
2020 Buick Encore GX
I just got the 2020 encore gx st 2 days ago and the speakers are absolute trash!! And trying to research how to swap or add anything just seems impossible! Impossible to the point im not sure the actual audio installers aren't going to know. I just want my system back or even aftermarket door speakers and tweeters why does the new technology have to be such a pain!!
Check my post above. I installed these about a month ago. Replaced all four in an hour. Very easy direct (better) replacement.

gs.haley

Buick Ownership
2021 Encore GX
Check my post above. I installed these about a month ago. Replaced all four in an hour. Very easy direct (better) replacement.
Hey! I'm thinking of doing this too. Is it an easy install?

DP55412

Buick Ownership
2021 Buick Encore GX
Hello. Yes it is really easy. Did all four in an hour. Completely plug and play.
Did replacing these speakers impact the active noise cancellation? Other comments above talk about problems with amplifiers, etc. I’d be interested in doing this, but don’t want to affect my quiet car.

DarionGX

Buick Ownership
2020 Buick Encore GX
Did replacing these speakers impact the active noise cancellation? Other comments above talk about problems with amplifiers, etc. I’d be interested in doing this, but don’t want to affect my quiet car.
Hello. No, replacing speakers did not affect the noise cancellation. However, I only replaced the speakers. I did not as an amp or anything else.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners