Water on the floor

raye608

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2000 buick century. When it rains alot I get water on the passenger
side floor weather I drive the car or not. Anyone have that problem?

karlmach1

Buick Ownership
previously: '95 Century Limited w/3.1L currently: '00 Century Custom w/3.1L
Have you checked to ensure that all GASKETS are in place, and in good condition?

1. Check the DOOR and WINDOW gaskets for leakage... with the door and window closed... and making certain to NOT get water onto the windshield/hood area... spray them with a heavy stream from a HOSE... (then look for evidence of leaks).

2. OPEN the HOOD and check the HOOD gaskets... there should be two of them. One runs along the base of the windshield and keeps water from running directly into your CABIN AIR FILTER... from there, water could run down into the BLOWER housing and onto your floor board,

3. You may have a clogged DRAIN-WAY beneath the air inlet grille (near the windshield).

FRESH AIR is supposed to be able to enter the "cabin" (interior) through a duct which typically also has a CABIN AIR FILTER. At any rate; when it rains (also in car washes, deep puddle splashes, etc.) water will travel down the windshield (and over the rear of the hood), and should DRAIN out harmlessly... without "building up" to the point that it can enter the fresh air duct.

If your door and window gaskets are doing their job properly, then I suggest that you:

* turn your key "ON"
* turn your wipers "ON"
* turn your key "OFF" while the wipers are in a full upright position
* open your hood

CLEAN-UP ANY DEBRIS along the bottom of the windshield (a SHOP wet/dry vacuum cleaner works great for this task)

* goto the passenger side
* pull back/off the rear hood seal

OBSERVE the slot and position & routing of the windshield washer tubing (when putting things back together, make sure the tubing is laid into the SLOT at the left end of the HOOD , where the HOOD gasket can cover it properly, and where it will NOT be crushed when you close the HOOD)

* pull the windshield washer tubing out of the way
* remove the air inlet grill (which has three fasteners, one SCREWS ON just to the LEFT of center, and the other two POP ON (one is located at each end of the passenger side air inlet grille)

CLEAN-UP ANY DEBRIS that you find beneath the air inlet grille (a SHOP wet/dry vacuum cleaner works great for this task)

* check to make sure that the DRAIN WAY is not clogged (it's located near the extreme left end of the compartment to which you now have access)... being careful to NOT get water onto the CABIN FILTER area, run some water from your HOSE and make certain it drains out beneath the car (you should see it coming out from behind the front wheel well).​

Now would be a good time to CLEAN or REPLACE the CABIN AIR FILTER. I simply clean mine... doing so GENTLY as I proceed. I use my air compressor (wearing safety goggles) to BLOW out any debris. Then I "soak" the filter in a solution of mild detergent (or even in some "car wash" solution). Then I blow out the filter again... hold it up to the light to ensure I can see light coming through it.

And yes, cleaning the CABIN AIR FILTER takes some time, but I see no reason to just go BUY a new one (when the old one can be cleaned and still do its job).

hth - karl

Last edited:

raye608

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks Karl, I'll check the gaskets hopefully thats it and just need cleaned.

Waiex191

Poplar Grove, IL
Buick Ownership
2000 Century
I've just had this too. Opened it up and checked everything. The only thing I might be able to blame is the big head plastic screw was not as tight as it could be. Maybe that kept the cover from sealing. I did notice the cabin air filter was wet. If it does it again, the silicone fairy will probably stop by.

sarmstro

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had this problem. I moved and parking was down grade. Suddenly water on the floor. After having windshield tested to no avail i found this remedy in a forum. Buick dealer carry Reflector Part 15794785. for $10. Fits in over cabin filter perfectly on my 2002 Buick Century. No more trying to dry out wet carpet. It also fits all similiar Gm body style I original hear about it for Impala with the same problem.

Amanda70

Buick Ownership
2002 Century Custom
I had this problem. I moved and parking was down grade. Suddenly water on the floor. After having windshield tested to no avail i found this remedy in a forum. Buick dealer carry Reflector Part 15794785. for $10. Fits in over cabin filter perfectly on my 2002 Buick Century. No more trying to dry out wet carpet. It also fits all similiar Gm body style I original hear about it for Impala with the same problem.
I have the same issue. The part number isn't for a 2002 and I can't find the deflector anywhere in Canada. I could really use some help.

Amanda70

Buick Ownership
2002 Century Custom
Reading the post it says it fits on the 2002, not that it is for a 2002. Google the part# comes up on few sites but you will need to find one in Canada.
Got it... its on the way. Thank you!

Does anyone know how to reach the drains at the very ends of the cowl where it drains out under the car? I don't know what to look for and can't find anything on YouTube. I want to try what one fellow brought up in this post. I think its clogged but don't know how to find the drain or unclog it.

Waiex191

Poplar Grove, IL
Buick Ownership
2000 Century
Got it... its on the way. Thank you!

Does anyone know how to reach the drains at the very ends of the cowl where it drains out under the car? I don't know what to look for and can't find anything on YouTube. I want to try what one fellow brought up in this post. I think its clogged but don't know how to find the drain or unclog it.
Here is a picture of the drain:

It is a rubber elbow on the firewall. Somewhere on the passenger side.

Amanda70

Buick Ownership
2002 Century Custom
Did you have to jimmy it at all? I received that part today but mine is an 02 and that part is for an 05.

Also did you use any silicone?

Having the same issue. Thanks!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!