Water pump

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
okay. So my water pump is leaking on my 1988 century limited 2.8L V6. My problem right now is trying to get the pulley splash guard off. It has a bolt in the middle with a nut. I can't seem to get the nut loose, wrenches keep slipping. I dont have to many tools available to me right now. Just basic stuff. Any ideas on how to get it off? I can post a pic. I can't find the exact guard on any video or anything.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If the pic of the part that you are trying to pull the pulley off, it's the AC condenser not the water pump which is #57 in the diagram(s).
851107MA01-015.png860908MA09-033.gif920424GM00-079.png

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
okay, gotchya. It seems coolant/water is just coming out of right behind that pulley even with the car off and as I'm pouring into the radiator. It doesn't stop. Just starts coming out. It gets on the belt because its right there. *face palm* can I win the lottery and have someone do this for me? I love working on my car but I also like getting to work lol

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
okay.filled it up and looked at it again and uts coming right from behind the actual water pump pulley. So yay.

fullmonte44

Buick Ownership
Buick
The little pump pulley bolts should come off easy enough, but if your water pump bolts are rusted or in bad shape, the company Dorman makes a set of water pump bolts for only $8.00 at Rockauto. They call it a "water pump stud kit" but it is only the 5 bolts for your pump, plus the 4 smaller pulley bolts. I had to buy a set for my '91 buick regal with the 3.8L when I changed the water pump. Mine were rusted so bad, that a couple of smaller bolts broke, but came out easily with vise grips when the pump was removed. I think a local parts store could order the Dorman kit, if you need them. Or maybe you already done, hmm?

ledzilla

Buick Ownership
2001 Century Custom
Maybe it depends on where you get your parts, but I had to replace the water pump on my 2001 a couple years ago, and the pump came with all new mounting bolts, oddly enough, but still had to use the original pulley bolts. The parts store even fudged things a bit for me when I went back for another bolt because one fell into the engine bay never to be seen again. Might have been a NAPA.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Replace the water pump!
I did. It was actually where the pully would spin that was leaking. 30 year old gasket still held! Its crazy. lol and now that's fine but apparently the new pressure has caused other problems (popped a leak in actual radiator and the cap seal broke). Dealing with that. But now its stalling when I press the gas so that's my main project right now......I love my car I swear.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Maybe it depends on where you get your parts, but I had to replace the water pump on my 2001 a couple years ago, and the pump came with all new mounting bolts, oddly enough, but still had to use the original pulley bolts. The parts store even fudged things a bit for me when I went back for another bolt because one fell into the engine bay never to be seen again. Might have been a NAPA.
I got my water pump at AutoZone. They're pretty good. I like that all their Duralast Gold stuff is under warranty so if it breaks or wears out (including break pads and such) you walk im with the old ones and they'll give you new ones. The pump came with the gasket and bolts pre installed so that was nice and easy. I replaced the pully itself (it was cracked in three spots) but used the old bolts because there was nothing wrong with them.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just wanted to take a second to say thanks to everyone who has been helping me on here. You guys are great. Always have ideas on something that might fix it. So thank you 😀

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.