Weird feeling

Thread starter #1

Rich

I have a 2010 Lacrosse, and when going down the road at times it feels like the vehicle is on ice. Its sort of a helpless feeling. What could this be ? Bad or weak struts? Sway bar links? Don't know what to look for, any ideas??

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I'm sure if you have additional information it may help as nobody can feel your cars ride. Low tire pressure, struts, sway bar bushing / end links, loose lug nuts, wheel bearing, mounts etc. may all give a poor ride.

Milage, front or rear feel, steering control sloppy, more details may help others if it's a related problem.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
I would get it checked by a good tire & suspension shop ASAP for health & safety purposes. Some ideas which are largely noted above:

- Low tire pressure, unbalanced, tires, damaged tires, unmatched tires could be an issue. Also one or more wheels may be loose.

- Alignment could be out.

- Wheel bearings, shocks/struts/mounts, and other suspension bits could be worn out.

- Accident damage.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I had a 02 grand prix that had worn out control arm bushings and every time it went over a bump the car would float to the right by a lot. Made it extremely unsafe when driving on snow.

It's gonna be either a lower ball joint, or tie rod(s) ( inner or outer ) or wheel bearing hub, or struts.

When I get home tomorrow I'll look for a video that shows how to diagnose suspension and steering problems. All you need is to jack the front of the car up and set it down on jack stands. Preferable set the jack stands under the engine cradle front cross member or on the frame. Just not under the control arms.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Following video is excellent at showing how to diagnose balljoints and tie rods.

Reason for me recommending jack stands is for your safety. But not a must have to diagnose these parts.

I think this video shows to jack up 1 wheel at a time and I think that's the best way, even tho I though jacking up both at the same time was OK too. I think one at a time is a better idea. When both wheels are up in the air and moving one of the wheels at the 3 and 6 o'clock positions will induce movement from the steering being free. But I've done it both ways hundreds of times and both wheels in the air might be OK for me, but not for someone who's never done it before.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
Cxl lacrosse 37,000 miles
I have a 2010 Lacrosse, and when going down the road at times it feels like the vehicle is on ice. Its sort of a helpless feeling. What could this be ? Bad or weak struts? Sway bar links? Don't know what to look for, any ideas??
Hear whoop whoop, Is ur steering wheel wondering all over even seems to tilt cock sometimes to one side or radial pull lol it is wheel bearing.. If ur on free way next to semi and ur car feels like its going to push of the road would be shocks .. I had 4 wheel bearing fail and rear shocks no mechanic could diagnosis it car was bad 6 shops no one diagnosed it..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.