Weird (major?) Issue happened tonight

Pops2010

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Hi all 2010 CXS 23k. It’s sat for the last 3-4 weeks (don’t drive it in the winter). It was nice enough to take it out today. When I started it, the “check suspension” warning came on. I detailed it and pulled it back in the garage.

So tonight when my wife got home, I decided to take it to the store with my 2 yr old daughter (4 mile round trip). I’m literally 4 blocks from home on the side street, and the car just shuts off, well at least I thought it did. I still had power steering, brakes and headlights. The radio, dashboard and interior lights all went off (I’m still doing 25mph at this point). Then within seconds they all come back on. All the idiot lights come on, like when you start it, the gauges reset themselves (like when it’s started). The DIC says “2 remotes programmed”, then says “learning tires”. I drove around the block a few times, and all was fine.

I don’t think that the car shut down completely, but with my 2 yr old in the car, it was a bit scary. Has anyone had this happen before?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If it sat that long without being driven it may be the battery was discharged or at least needs to be checked. If it was exposed to the freezing temperature and not driven for long periods of time that will also drain a battery.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
In addition to the battery voltage & drain check, you need to check both battery connections for corrosion, or loose connections.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Agree with battery recommendations. Only other thing I may think of is fuel that may had water content and partially froze. Still happens but with fuel injection more likely to be disappated with hi pressure delivery and used to have return line. Think most newer cars have one way direct injection more or less.

So if say engine was trying to run- and partial fuel delivery may create described circumstances in MHO only......

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
I also agree with a battery problem. These modern cars require a strong battery all the time or they will play strange tricks. I have a 98 corvette and that battery better be strong or it will through all kind of lights at you. I would start with the battery.

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
I also agree with a battery problem. These modern cars require a strong battery all the time or they will play strange tricks. I have a 98 corvette and that battery better be strong or it will through all kind of lights at you. I would start with the battery.
Check the alternator too. Modern cars will go nuts with dashboard lights and warnings when the voltage drops too low. And if this happens while you are actually driving it, the car will begin shutting itself down in stages until you are left stranded.

Pops2010

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Thanks all for the replies. We got a crap ton of ice here the last two days (I’m in MI). So as soon as it’s nice enough out, I’ll make an appointment at the dealer to have them check the battery and alternator for sure. Plus it will be time for an oil change.

TellarHK

Carson City, NV
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Lacrosse
I had something kinda similar happen in my 2013 LaCrosse not long after I bought it, everything freaked out, the car went into limp mode, and was okay the next time I started it up.

It turned out that my cheap-ass OBD-II scanner was causing the bus to freak out. Removed that, no problems at all.

Pops2010

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Well today it was dry enough out for me to take it out. Since I’ve gotten it, I’ve never looked under the hood. So I figured that I should check fluids etc., and the battery. The battery appears to be new. It is a Delco and the date code on it is 02/18.

Now when the crazy thing happens the other night, we had just come off the polar vortex and we had dipped to negative numbers a couple of nights. But I did start the car every day.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.