• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Weird Window Issue

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL AWD - 211,000 miles

So here is a weird one: A couple weeks ago a message came on the dash that said "Open, then Close Driver Window". So I did, several times, and the message went away. Since then the message pops back up every couple minutes while driving the car and I can't seem to get it to go away. Sometimes when I try and do as it asks the window will stop and get stuck for a second, then continue. So last night I tried to do it again and the window didn't work at all. I thought "oh great now I have to replace the window motor". However, after I turned the car off and turn it back on, the window went down and up with no hesitation. But, 2 minutes later it's not working again. This doesn't sound like a window motor, but I have no idea what it could be. If anyone has any insight to this I would appreciate it!

-Nick

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I would also try disconnecting your battery and reconnecting it after a couple of minutes before spending any money.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So an update from today: I did try and disconnect the battery for a while. This did not resolve the issue. The intermittent window issue still happens, and I've gained another issue in the process. When I was leaving to go home today the car did not recognize that my driver door was closed. After several on off attempts it finally recognized it. This seems to be the same type of random issue as the window. Being that it's the same door, I'm wondering if there is a sensor or chip in the door that has gone bad, or if it's the BCM like MelsRegal suggested. Any thoughts?

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just an update for anyone who may have this issue in the future. The window completely stopped working, the car quit reading the driver door as closed, and the horn quit beeping when locking the car. When I took it to the shop they found a ground fault code in the door, ended up replacing just the window motor in the drivers door and it fixed all three issues.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Was almost going to ask if door Windows do a "relearn". Strangely on other car they travel up and down but opening and closing door do this thing of window not completely seating with door gaskets. Until door is completely shut and they jump closed, it's about 3/8". Supposed to be some European thing:(

Oh no, Buick here we go again......

Last edited:

G-84959

Just an update for anyone who may have this issue in the future. The window completely stopped working, the car quit reading the driver door as closed, and the horn quit beeping when locking the car. When I took it to the shop they found a ground fault code in the door, ended up replacing just the window motor in the drivers door and it fixed all three issues.
I also have this issue along with everything on the door (auto dimming mirror, master window switch for all windows, auto shutoff when door is "seen" as open) not working. The power mirror function is the only thing that works. I tried to install a new door motor like you did but still no luck. Wondering if it is the BCM at this point.

Pedal Commander