What are the correct front struts for an '09 CXL?

Dave Dunbar

Buick Newbie
Cincinnati
Buick Ownership
2009 Lucerne CXL, 2000 LeSabre Limited, Gran Touring
I was hearing a clunking noise from the right front of my '09 CXL (102K mi). The dealer said it was worn mounting hardware above the struts, so we replaced the front strut mount/bearing plates and the struts for a whopping $1,064!! The previously smooth ride of my car is now harsh. Now I feel every road imperfection through the wheel and I feel every tiny bump in the road in the seat of my pants. The GM strut part number was 19208029. The mount kit GM part number was 19208376. The dealer says their GM computer tells them that the Lucerne came with an F41 suspension, and these are the correct parts numbers for the F41. I believe this is incorrect, or that GM is now just giving F41 parts for any car with this suspension. I've had the F41 suspension on a couple of GM cars in the 80s and 90s, and yes, it was quite firm and rode harshly like the part the dealer put on my Lucerne. Anyone have any experience with this? Did the dealer give me the correct part? What they put on doesn't ride anything like the original equipment Lucerne suspension. If they were wrong, does anyone know the correct GM strut part number to use? If GM no longer makes the correct strut, does anyone know of an aftermarket strut that rides like the original sturts in the Lucerne?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You should be able to check the RPO codes on tag in your trunk to see what was originally installed on the car. But changing the strut after 100K will feel more stiff and feedback will be noticeable, as none of us are in the car can't say if it's normal or its a issue.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
Can't help on GM part numbers but I am sure they are out there if you search. As for an aftermarket replacement, I put Monroe struts on my Lucerne, and they seemed perfect. The struts came with the mount and bearing, so it is an easy install yourself if one is somewhat handy. If you do it yourself remember that the two bolts on the bottom of the strut have splines and do not turn. Remove the nut, until neararly off, and then bang gently on the nut to back the bolt out.

Dave Dunbar

Buick Newbie
Cincinnati
Buick Ownership
2009 Lucerne CXL, 2000 LeSabre Limited, Gran Touring
I very much appreciate the link to the GM Parts Direct strut info. Since they now have the same part number for the soft and firm ride strut, I think it's just as I suspected. GM is now only selling one strut instead of a firm and soft strut. So there's no way to maintain the ride quality I had before using the now-official GM part. Those who had a firm suspension will have to settle for softer and those who had the standard soft ride suspension will get a harsher ride if they get the strut from GM. So, as I suspected, it's GM's reduced level of support as the car ages that's to blame, not my dealer. One would think that GM could do a brisk business selling parts to folks who want to maintain the car like new, but everything I'm seeing tells me GM would just as soon see me go away to an aftermarket parts supplier as give me what I need to maintain it like new. Shame. Sticking with GM parts from a GM dealer used to be the best way to go. Sad to see that era end.

Warreneaux

Houston, Tx
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne-2010
Can't help on GM part numbers but I am sure they are out there if you search. As for an aftermarket replacement, I put Monroe struts on my Lucerne, and they seemed perfect. The struts came with the mount and bearing, so it is an easy install yourself if one is somewhat handy. If you do it yourself remember that the two bolts on the bottom of the strut have splines and do not turn. Remove the nut, until neararly off, and then bang gently on the nut to back the bolt out.
I put the same Struts as you did
I put the same Struts you did Polarzak. My 2010 now rides great.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
For what it's worth GM strut part# 19307621 is also available for the Lucerne, but no information if it's for the FE1 Soft or F41 Firm suspension, the only other part # 19300024 which is for the FE3 suspension. Seeing how you already have the struts installed it's somewhat of a moot point.

The Lucerne with the DTS had the V8 models and other strut manufacturer's are doing the same thing with a one size fits all which includes the quick struts that may or may not lift the car ride height.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
I cannot believe I finally found this thread. I replaced my struts two years ago and over that time I noticed that my ride is extremely stiff. In fact. I feel every bump in the road and when Im on the highway if I hit a harsh bump it will even disengage my cruise control. It makes driving the car more of a chore. I looked everywhere as to what the problem might be and even spent time inspecting my suspension system for possible faulty suspension parts. I didnt find any.

At the time (2 years ago) I bought these things :

They are from a company called "Detroit Axle". I already have one bearing tower on the passenger side going bad. However, After replacing my originals I could not figure out the stiff ride. I had heard stories about "Well, Thats how lucernes are and how Buick designed them" However, My mother has the 2007 and it doesnt ride like this. Its a nice soft ride.

So, I have cheap, Stiff struts that make you cringe every time you hit a bump.

In following this thread the answer seems to be the Monroe struts. These are pretty expensive. I did find these also:

However, I do not know if these would return my original vehicle ride or just be stiff like the other ones. ???

I also do not understand the GM link to the struts where it lists "Soft, Stiff, Sport". The part numbers for the Stiff and Soft are the same and it looks like the only difference is one is right side and the other is the left side. Could it be that the left and right sides are exactly the same so that you would order two? If so then why do they use "Left side", "Right Side" ?

I just want my comfortable soft ride back on my 2008 lucerne. Do they have to be these monroe shocks only? Is there a not so expensive alternative?

Thank you in advance for any info. I really miss my soft ride.

Century61

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Define expensive, the strut / spring units on Rockauto range $100 to $150 with the Monroe at $121. Some manufacturers have a one size fits all as they are covering the V6 and V8 models, also the DTS, which may reflect in spring rates being stiffer.
If it's cost going with struts only are less expensive at $42 to $113, but swapping the spring and components is the other area to consider.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
Define expensive, the strut / spring units on Rockauto range $100 to $150 with the Monroe at $121. Some manufacturers have a one size fits all as they are covering the V6 and V8 models, also the DTS, which may reflect in spring rates being stiffer.
If it's cost going with struts only are less expensive at $42 to $113, but swapping the spring and components is the other area to consider.
Those are single strut prices right? So, Looking at dropping 300+ for the Monroe's? Perhaps I am wrong and they are for the pair?

My problem is that after reading this thread Iam confused as to which struts to buy to return the "soft" feeling of the OEM struts. I can handle the cost if I have to but I do see others out there for about 150 a pair. However, I do not want to end up buying what I already have - Stiff struts.

Thank you for your reply,

Century61

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
Just to update, I ordered the Monroe quick struts for my 08 Lucerne. Part number 172321. I am hoping these return the original soft ride to my car. The struts I currently have on, The right side bearings are failing. I can hear the spring wanting to turn when I turn the wheel. I had bought them two years ago and they are extremely stiff. Makes driving more of a chore and I have to swerve a lot to avoid even the smallest imperfections in the road.

I want to thank those participating in the discussion here. Without this thread I would probably never found the issue with my stiff suspension. I hope this does the trick.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
I just finished installing my new struts on the front of my 2008 Lucerne.

Monroe 172321 Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly
I have to say that the ride is like night and day. The hard ride is gone and its actually very comfortable to drive. Not a hard job to do. I did have a bit of a problem with the lower bolts holding the struts to the caliper / hub assembly. Nothing that a decent size hammer couldnt handle though :)
While I had the Front Passenger side apart I also repaired my windshield washer reservoir that had a leak. I used a hot glue stick (gorilla glue). Worked quite well.

Two years ago I put in those Detroit Axle struts. The passenger side bearings on the top started failing and thats what originally sent me here. Lesson learned - Buy good quality and spend the money.
I want to thank the OP and those that replied.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the follow up on the Monroe struts and I guess that would include the review on the Detroit Axle struts.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
@2007LucerneCXL - Yes, Those Detroit Axle struts were very stiff. I think they caused a lot of issues for me. If I hit a bump in the road my ABS light would come on. Should I have the cruise set and hit the bump it would disengage the cruise. Since I got these Monroe struts on my ABS light does not come on anymore and I suspect my cruise issues are over with too. They are just poor struts.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I've seen even much lower price ones and have read about horror stories. Some times it comes down to are you keeping the car or selling it LOL. Glad they worked out for you.