• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What are the most common major issues with the Lucerne.

Kildysartkid

Toronto Canada
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne CXS
Hi All, I am newbie to the Lucerne, I have purchased a 2008 CXS recently and bought it uncertified for a good price. I had to replace the top torsion engine mount, front wheel bearings and hubs and do a complete brake job all around to have it certified. I still need to replace the front strut mounts as I can feel the roughness when I turn the steering wheel.
From reading thru the forum I get the feeling that wheel bearings and strut mounts are a common problem on this vehicle and wondered what other issues I can expect from your experience.
Jim

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
My 2006 still has the ordinal wheel bearings at 176k.. The whole strut assembly was replaced under warranty in 07, I assume the strut mount was also.. I had so many problems with my car when it was new, there is not enough space here to list them all. :D Fortunately all were repaired under warranty, and it has been excellent since.
The only things I have to repair off warranty are brakes, (pads rotors) which is normal wear and tear, and the windshield washer pump which rusted out.
Oh, a headlight. I hope the 08s headlights are easier to change than the 06.

Kildysartkid

Toronto Canada
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne CXS
The 2006 lucerne was the first model year and its not surprising that you had many issues. I work for a supplier in the auto industry and get to see the craziness that goes on with first model year vehicles. It's a learn as you go process to get the fit and finish right and many modifications are made in the first and second year. I would recommend to anyone to wait till at least second or third year to purchase a new model vehicle. I recently came across a website that shows vehicle defects by year and if you compared first year models you could see the difference in quality.
My Lucerne had its wheel bearings changed in 2009 after just one year of service according to the warranty info I was able to receive and I had to change again in 2012 which I found surprising. Mine has the 4.6 litre northstar motor which has its own inherent problems like oil pan leaks and engine mount issues.
Hopefully the head gasket issues of the older Northstars are not a problem anymore.
Jim

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
The 2006 lucerne was the first model year and its not surprising that you had many issues.
Jim
I would agree with you on body and trim, however the 06 (and probably later years) was built on the Cadillac DTS platform, not a new vehicle. Everything except trim and body was tried and true technology. New off the lot my headliner fell, and the under side trim strip was held on by 2 clips instead of the 5 or 6. Both body and trim items. However, how do you explain a transmission cover being loose, needing a new steering rack, a new intermediate shaft, a new battery, a new trunk release, new struts, remote start reprogramming, and a half dozen other items that had been out years before the 06? When I bought my 2000 LeSabre new, it was never brought back for warrenty work, and still had the seven year old original battery in it when I traded for the Lucerne. That first year with the Lucerne, made trading in that LeSabre the saddest and stupidest thing I had ever done. That said, once all the warranty work was done on the Lucerne, it has been quite pleasant the last few years, with no problems whatsoever, except having to replace the washer pump. I even considered buying a 2013, but alas, the Lucerne is no more. :sad:

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
I bought a 2006 Lucerne (1st year production - will never do that again with any car). Had it two weeks and driver side door handle came off in my hand. Problem with water pump. I now have 83,000 miles on it and it cuts off while I'm driving it. Have had this problem since October 2012. Problem is that it will happen several times in a row and then not happen again for weeks or a month. No one at dealership can help. See my previous posts. It cut off 9 times yesterday within a 2-hour period during city driving. Speed between 25-45 MPH. Took it into dealership today for them to drive...of course, nothing happened. Have to leave it overnight for them to drive again tomorrow. From what they said when I called them at 4:45 PM (I had to have car there at 8:30 this morning) they only drove it for about 20 minutes and had just gotten back when I called them. They did not put it on the computer. They did that last week when I had it in there for the same problem. I would think they would be interested enough in the problem that they could do some troubleshooting. But I'm assuming they don't want to put the manhours into finding the problem. And, of course, I'm the only one they have heard of with this problem. And, of course, next question to me was "Have you thought about trading it in?" Good grief...this is driving me crazy! Any suggestions?

GolfingDuo

Central Massachusetts
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
I believe you have the same issue I had with my 06 Pontiac G6 GT. I think they had an issue with this part. It happened once on my way to work. Stalled out then a minute later it will start and act normal. It happend a month later and then became increasing in occurances. The dealer diagnosed the issue to the computer losing comms with stuff in the car. They replaced the computer and no more problem. There were no codes to be read using Autozone code checker.

The part was 800 and 200 labor. They did the right thing and checked the lines to all the stuff in the car to make sure it was not a problem.

Detroit, USA
Let me know what you find at the dealer DPCasey. Keep me posted. Feel free to contact me directly if you need anything else.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

chuck21401

Annapolis, MD
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne CXS
I've owned two Lucernes:

2007 CXL
- front door handle broke
- key fob needs to be reprogrammed
- replaced tires at 70K miles
- accelerator pedal vibration - did not address
- rough engine - used Lucas fuel injector cleaner regulary along with premium fuel.
- sold at 90K miles

2008 CXL
-front door handle broke - twice
-steering rack leak. Replaced with rebuilt rack
-power steering line leak - replaced
-transmission cooler link leak - replaced; trans fluid changed
-tires replaced at 65k miles
-front rotors and pads at 60k miles
-service lane departure system error message -fixed under warranty - module went bag
-sunroof problem - would not tilt correctly. Appears screws came look and random part became lodged in mechanism - fixed under warranty
-rear door lock mechanism failed - fixed under warranty
-fuel pump relay - failed because of problem with fuse panel - repaired by dealer
-front wheel bearings - replaced under warranty.
- heated washer fluid part removed because of recall.
- trunk leak (tape covers holes in bumper area, that tape comes loose)
- tail light bulbs seem to go bad periodically
- OnStar system wasn't working...I tried to activate it for the free three month trial. Needed to call OnStar and have them download a system update or something. OnStar extended the trail offer for 6 months and included extra hands free minutes. I like the system but just couldn't justify another monthly fee (I subscribe to XM radio which is great).

Last edited:

jimnecci

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I must have gotten a couple of the good ones. My first is a silver 2007 CX, bought new. It is just past 190,000 miles, engine and transmission untouched except for a temperature sensor. The drivers door handle did break at about 20k but was fixed under warranty and has been fine since. I had to do the brakes on the front at 125,000 miles, not sure when I did the rear. The front bearings were changed at 180,000. The second one I bought used. I really like it but it has way more repairs than the silver one. Maybe 'cause it's red. Trans rebuild was the biggest deal at 118,000 miles. The front strut bearings and wheel bearings I did at 165,000. The silver ones were clunking when changed. Both cars have had front engine mounts. The silver one has had three, red one got its fourth yesterday. I still really like the cars, sorry they are no longer produced.

Pedal Commander