• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

What car to buy?

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
Hey all,

So I currently drive a 2010 Nissan Rogue...I know. I'm looking to buy a new car this year and I'm struggling with what the hell I want. I know I need to go out and start driving some of the cars, but it seems that there isn't anything unique out there. When I first saw a TourX on the road it immediately caught my eye as a very elegant and beautiful car and it has piqued my interest. So that brings me to why I'm posting here. Do you still love your TourX? What do you dislike about your car? If you had to buy a car today and the TourX wasn't an option, what else catches your eye? As for what I want in a car, well living in an area that gets a fair amount of snow so having AWD and a hatch are things I really want. I also don't want to sit super low as a I have bad back/knees. I want decent MPG but I also don't want a slow turd either. Right now I'm considering a new Hybrid Rav4 as it seems to hit all the boxes for me, but part of me would like something with a lower roof line to put my kayak on, which brings me to the TourX as a consideration even though they're slim pickings nowadays. The VW Alltrack (sans panaroof) is another thought but it has pretty much succumbed to the same fate as the TourX. The Subaru Outback is what my wife drives and I haven't been very impressed with owning one and it's pretty much and SUV, not so much a wagon anymore.

Any input or comments are greatly appreciated!

Regards

BradyB0225

Buick Ownership
1992 Riviera
The Tour X is a great car, the less expensive Sportback is also a great car. The Sportback has a significant amount of cargo space with the lift back too, probably more than the Rav4. 20201123_200554.jpg

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I've owned a TourX for two years and still love it.

I also don't want to sit super low as a I have bad back/knees.

While I wouldn't say it's super low, don't let the cladding fool you. The TourX has the same clearance as a Camry and therefore getting in and out will not be as easy as your Outback.

If I were purchasing today, I'd consider the Accord 2.0T or the Ridgeline. The Kia K5 GT has also caught my eye.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
If you have a bad back/knees you have a perfectly legit reason to worry about ride height. As FavaBean said, this is a low car.

I recall that back in the 1990s a colleague of my father's traded his Lincoln Continental for a Pontiac TransSport Montana because he couldn't get in and out of his Lincoln anymore. This was before the CUV boom and most "SUVs" were still very truck-like.

If I could still buy a new TourX I'd buy a TourX - I might look harder for a Sportback though only if it was AWD. AWD Sportbacks were thin on the ground when I was looking.

When I'm done with my TourX I'm likely to run off in directions that the average forum member might not. I'm as likely to end up with a true sports car or a hot hatch as a more family oriented vehicle.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
The TourX would be a crazy upgrade from a 2010 Rogue. After having my TourX for a year, I would absolutely buy it again. I bought my Essence model with 14k miles for 25,000 in November 2019. I will warn you that my grandparents who are over 76 struggle a bit getting out of it. It's definitely not as low as some cars, but it's not as easy to get into as a crossover.

The Rav4 is going to be an appliance car. I don't think the Rav4 would even compare in terms of driving dynamics to the TourX. Driving my mother's 2018 Toyota Sienna is like driving a school bus compared to the TourX, and I imagine the Rav4 would be similar but slower. If I were rich, I'd buy a new 2021 Audi A6 Allroad. I struggle to think what I'd buy today otherwise, especially for the price.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Bought a 2018 off the lot and would do it again if the deal was a good as I got for a TourX Essence trim with exactly the options I wanted.

If I were buying today I might consider the Volvo subscription plan - the numbers I saw were way more reasonable than the BMW subscription service that just ended. ($600 p/m Volvo vs $1000 p/m BMW)

Rueme

Buick Newbie
Wisconsin
Buick Ownership
Buick 2018 TourX Essence
I've had mine for a year and I really like it, it came down to the TourX or the Volvo V60 CC, my wife actually liked the Buick more and the price wasn't even close. The cons so far no spare, sun visors are useless, I wish it was an inch or more higher, I don't care for the foam tires, but it has a long warranty and its awesome on the highway, has a ton of room inside and handles pretty well, and its fun to drive. I would absolutely do it again

remediated

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I really like my TourX - it’s a great value when purchased at usual market price. If I was 5’10” and not 6’2”, I’d have kept my VW Sportwagen - but I need more room for the kids and my right knee. I was close to getting a CPO V60 for only about $8000 more and less miles. The V60 is really nice but wanted something cheaper to own and maintain until my kids are out of daycare. I’ll feel rich after that. The other contender for me was the VW Artreon which has a great trunk like the Sportback, drives great, and looks pretty sexy.

wi_badger

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
I bought a 2018 new off the lot. I would give it a solid B+, have a few issues I need to keep working with the dealer on.

If I was buying today I would get the Mazda CX-9.

The Honda Ridgeline was on my list but they took away too much rear leg room for the bed length so I couldn't use it with the family.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
If I was buying today I would get the Mazda CX-9.
I seriously considered the CX-9 while researching. However the best I could negotiate for a 2018 CX-9 Grand Touring was still $5,000 more than my Tourx. Both were 2018's that had not sold in 2019. But the real issue I could not overcome with the CX-9 was the drivers seat. The adjustments were limited and I could not find a comfortable driving position - I always felt like I wanted the seat to go back another 1-2 inches and tilt (it didn't tilt). The Tourx seating was just immediately more comfortable.

If I had to buy now, I would look at the Genesis GV70 or GV80 although those are quite a bit more expensive. I would also consider a used Acura RLX Sport Hybrid and add the aftermarket Carplay/Android Auto unit since the Acura infotainment system is so terrible.

Buick Ownership
New Tourx Owner
I was very disappointed when I could not find a 2020 Tourx last year. I still love my 2018 preferred but I wanted leather seats and was ready to trade it in. I have not yet gone to a VW dealer to look @ the Arteon but it is a strong candidate for a new car next year. Or an Accord without the CVT.

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
I've owned a TourX for two years and still love it.

While I wouldn't say it's super low, don't let the cladding fool you. The TourX has the same clearance as a Camry and therefore getting in and out will not be as easy as your Outback.

If I were purchasing today, I'd consider the Accord 2.0T or the Ridgeline. The Kia K5 GT has also caught my eye.

Thanks for the reply. I've sat in my parent's Camry and it isn't too low. The Ridgeline isn't a bad idea as well as I could get a bed extender and load a kayak that way. I'm also considering CX-30 and CX5 in addition to the Rav4.

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
If you have a bad back/knees you have a perfectly legit reason to worry about ride height. As FavaBean said, this is a low car.

I recall that back in the 1990s a colleague of my father's traded his Lincoln Continental for a Pontiac TransSport Montana because he couldn't get in and out of his Lincoln anymore. This was before the CUV boom and most "SUVs" were still very truck-like.

If I could still buy a new TourX I'd buy a TourX - I might look harder for a Sportback though only if it was AWD. AWD Sportbacks were thin on the ground when I was looking.

When I'm done with my TourX I'm likely to run off in directions that the average forum member might not. I'm as likely to end up with a true sports car or a hot hatch as a more family oriented vehicle.

The Sportback is pretty nice looking as well...wish they made more of that style. I know the Stinger is a sportback but I'm sure that sits lower than the Regal series.

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
The TourX would be a crazy upgrade from a 2010 Rogue. After having my TourX for a year, I would absolutely buy it again. I bought my Essence model with 14k miles for 25,000 in November 2019. I will warn you that my grandparents who are over 76 struggle a bit getting out of it. It's definitely not as low as some cars, but it's not as easy to get into as a crossover.

The Rav4 is going to be an appliance car. I don't think the Rav4 would even compare in terms of driving dynamics to the TourX. Driving my mother's 2018 Toyota Sienna is like driving a school bus compared to the TourX, and I imagine the Rav4 would be similar but slower. If I were rich, I'd buy a new 2021 Audi A6 Allroad. I struggle to think what I'd buy today otherwise, especially for the price.
The Rav4 Prime would be ideal, but it's out of my price point. The Rav4 Hybrid is the other vehicle I'm considering because it's relatively quick due to the electric motor and gets great MPG, but they're a dime a dozen and the TourX is such a neat looking car. It's a German vehicle with an American price point!

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
I seriously considered the CX-9 while researching. However the best I could negotiate for a 2018 CX-9 Grand Touring was still $5,000 more than my Tourx. Both were 2018's that had not sold in 2019. But the real issue I could not overcome with the CX-9 was the drivers seat. The adjustments were limited and I could not find a comfortable driving position - I always felt like I wanted the seat to go back another 1-2 inches and tilt (it didn't tilt). The Tourx seating was just immediately more comfortable.

If I had to buy now, I would look at the Genesis GV70 or GV80 although those are quite a bit more expensive. I would also consider a used Acura RLX Sport Hybrid and add the aftermarket Carplay/Android Auto unit since the Acura infotainment system is so terrible.
RLX Hybrid are nice, but I'd probably have to drive across the country to find one. Genesis vehicles are nice, I'm also curious what the new Hyundai Santa Cruz (Mid-size truck) will look like if I can wait that long to purchase.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
The Rav4 Prime would be ideal, but it's out of my price point. The Rav4 Hybrid is the other vehicle I'm considering because it's relatively quick due to the electric motor and gets great MPG, but they're a dime a dozen and the TourX is such a neat looking car. It's a German vehicle with an American price point!
For the next 6 to 10 years, a plug in Hybrid with 50 to 80 mile range and a real IC engine that is more than a home generator on steroids makes sense for the rural frequent driver. Battery development need 2X power density increase and infrastructure is not in place yet to go total EV. The RAV4 Prime is a good Hybrid. It just needs more range and the TRD treatment.
Currently a Regal Sportback would be a god buy in a used car.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
If I were looking at a new TourX, anything else I'd consider would equally have to stand out amongst the crowd. If you can find one I'd also try to look at a new (or likely used) Cadillac XT6 (with I believe the XT4 and XT5 similar in size to the Rogue and Murano respectively). Don't overlook Lincoln's fine line of SUVs or "Crossovers" either; the best part about them is that parts will always be available (and at least years ago Ford's parts that passed testing at the highest of tolerances were used in Lincolns so they tended to last longer). These are fine vehicles for the money and are not seen on every block. I agree regarding Subaru; a very cheap feel to them in general even on their higher end models. A different world in the vehicles I mention above.

BradyB0225

Buick Ownership
1992 Riviera
Discounts are huge on 2020 Buicks, I essentially got a 30% discount. Make sure those discounts are taken into account.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!