• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

What car to buy?

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Was told it was a buyback because the radio wasn't always connecting.
Should find out if they were even willing to do the update to the latest software. My dealer has been stonewalling trying to say: "Everything is within specs" (My problems though are more along the lines of "can't access FM stations from the favorites menu" and "Coffee House" on XM has been labeled as "Acoustic Xmas" for the past 2 years.)

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
Should find out if they were even willing to do the update to the latest software. My dealer has been stonewalling trying to say: "Everything is within specs" (My problems though are more along the lines of "can't access FM stations from the favorites menu" and "Coffee House" on XM has been labeled as "Acoustic Xmas" for the past 2 years.)
You think that's the issue? Is it such a pain to deal with the update that they would simply buy it back?

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
You think that's the issue? Is it such a pain to deal with the update that they would simply buy it back?
Well we had one member here where the dealer took out the dash and replaced the head unit...

Then other dealers stubbornly refuse to acknowledge that GM has updates to the infotainment system.

Frankly I'm pissed that GM makes dealers file warranty claims to be compensated for updating the system. It is literally sticking a USB into one of the ports and letting the system run through software updates (about an hour or two). It should just be something that the dealer does when you come in for an oil change etc without having to justify WHY.

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
Do
Well we had one member here where the dealer took out the dash and replaced the head unit...

Then other dealers stubbornly refuse to acknowledge that GM has updates to the infotainment system.

Frankly I'm pissed that GM makes dealers file warranty claims to be compensated for updating the system. It is literally sticking a USB into one of the ports and letting the system run through software updates (about an hour or two). It should just be something that the dealer does when you come in for an oil change etc without having to justify WHY.
Does the update fix connectivity issues? Is there a way to see if it was updated?

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
It should just be something that the dealer does when you come in for an oil change etc without having to justify WHY.
Totally agree! it is ridiculous that the owners have to research TSB's and provide them to dealers so they will apply a software update that GM produced to fix specific known problems.

I will say based on my research of other makes and models I considered buying, this issue is a widespread problem with all makes. Recently I noticed the prices for the used Genesis G90 flagship sedan are interestingly low. A little research and I find out that the top of the line Genesis does not have Apple Carplay until the 2020 model, and the older model years are not upgrade-able. So here you have people who paid $70+k for a super lux sedan complaining on message boards about how their high school kids 2015 Hyundai Sonata was upgrade-able to Apple Car play while their S-Class competitor is not.

Before I purchased the Tourx I drove the Acura MDX and RLX - the infotainment system (pre 2021) was garbage. Same with the Mercedes E-Class and GL SUV's - they felt laughably out of date. The 2018'ish Lexus infotainment systems were also terrible. Add Jaguar to that list as well. The Acura RLX was puzzling: a $55k+ FWD sedan, yet features that we have on our AWD Tourx Essence are either optional (heated steering wheel, remote start) or not available (Android Auto, Apple Carplay, pano roof).

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
Totally agree! it is ridiculous that the owners have to research TSB's and provide them to dealers so they will apply a software update that GM produced to fix specific known problems.

I will say based on my research of other makes and models I considered buying, this issue is a widespread problem with all makes. Recently I noticed the prices for the used Genesis G90 flagship sedan are interestingly low. A little research and I find out that the top of the line Genesis does not have Apple Carplay until the 2020 model, and the older model years are not upgrade-able. So here you have people who paid $70+k for a super lux sedan complaining on message boards about how their high school kids 2015 Hyundai Sonata was upgrade-able to Apple Car play while their S-Class competitor is not.

Before I purchased the Tourx I drove the Acura MDX and RLX - the infotainment system (pre 2021) was garbage. Same with the Mercedes E-Class and GL SUV's - they felt laughably out of date. The 2018'ish Lexus infotainment systems were also terrible. Add Jaguar to that list as well. The Acura RLX was puzzling: a $55k+ FWD sedan, yet features that we have on our AWD Tourx Essence are either optional (heated steering wheel, remote start) or not available (Android Auto, Apple Carplay, pano roof).
Man, I think you all scared me away from considering the Tour X with all the issues with the infotainment. Yeesh.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
Man, I think you all scared me away from considering the Tour X with all the issues with the infotainment. Yeesh.
You do you. Even with all of the glitches our infotainment is light years ahead of Acura/Lexus - Honda/Toyota. Mine (red needle) glitched a few times, but restart fixes it every time. Regal and TourX are both amazing value. I researched Autotrader for a few months before buying mine. There was nothing on the market that was better value. Nothing better on the used market as well.

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
You do you. Even with all of the glitches our infotainment is light years ahead of Acura/Lexus - Honda/Toyota. Mine (red needle) glitched a few times, but restart fixes it every time. Regal and TourX are both amazing value. I researched Autotrader for a few months before buying mine. There was nothing on the market that was better value. Nothing better on the used market as well.

Ya, maybe it's more of an inconvenience than anything. I'd be happy just having Bluetooth in my car. What are the red needle white needle thing I keep reading about? Is one better than the other?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
In general but not always the case depending on trim; the 18's had a cluster with red needles and 18.5 ish got the updated cluster with white needles.

Red needles run on an older UI (QNX I believe) which seems to be more stable but has less features and almost 0% chance of seeing an update. White needle cars run on Android. There is a thread here where someone shared the update file to get you to the latest, but even with this some are still seeing issues and long boot times.

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
In general but not always the case depending on trim; the 18's had a cluster with red needles and 18.5 ish got the updated cluster with white needles.

Red needles run on an older UI (QNX I believe) which seems to be more stable but has less features and almost 0% chance of seeing an update. White needle cars run on Android. There is a thread here where someone shared the update file to get you to the latest, but even with this some are still seeing issues and long boot times.
So if I see a TourX with white needles and have it updated via the dealer, how annoying will the issues be? I like to listen to music/podcasts while driving, so is that going to be a big issue where I need to restart the car every 30 minutes to fix?

BTW, thanks to everyone who has been so great in responding to all of my questions. Much appreciated!

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I have red needles so I can't speak from experience; but from what I have seen the biggest issues seem to be trying to use the reverse camera right away. I think the camera does show but the line do not and I think some have mentioned a fish eye look. Other issues seem to be grayed out station presets and I believe occasional audio dropouts. Early on it sounded like if you give the system time to boot up completely before tasking it with something it was OK. But it seems some have much better luck than eithers, so it is likely to be the way they configure/use the system or some variation in the components that causes glitches. So if you are serious about a car red or white, I would sit in it and do what you would expect to do daily to get a feel for how THAT system is working.

Rauderin

Buick Ownership
Possible TourX owner
I have red needles so I can't speak from experience; but from what I have seen the biggest issues seem to be trying to use the reverse camera right away. I think the camera does show but the line do not and I think some have mentioned a fish eye look. Other issues seem to be grayed out station presets and I believe occasional audio dropouts. Early on it sounded like if you give the system time to boot up completely before tasking it with something it was OK. But it seems some have much better luck than eithers, so it is likely to be the way they configure/use the system or some variation in the components that causes glitches. So if you are serious about a car red or white, I would sit in it and do what you would expect to do daily to get a feel for how THAT system is working.
Gotcha. I imagine the "radio disconnecting" as the reason for the repurchase is likely the issues outlined up above. Thanks again!

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
@ready2fly is right - the Tourx and Sportback are great values and both info systems are better than most other brands. The latest software update for the white needle cars fixes most of the annoyances - if you let the system boot up.

In our family fleet, the Tourx is the most technically advanced and when I have to drive one of our other cars that does not have blind spot monitor, adaptive cruise, active lane keeping, and Carplay, I miss the Tourx.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey all,

So I currently drive a 2010 Nissan Rogue...I know. I'm looking to buy a new car this year and I'm struggling with what the hell I want. I know I need to go out and start driving some of the cars, but it seems that there isn't anything unique out there. When I first saw a TourX on the road it immediately caught my eye as a very elegant and beautiful car and it has piqued my interest. So that brings me to why I'm posting here. Do you still love your TourX? What do you dislike about your car? If you had to buy a car today and the TourX wasn't an option, what else catches your eye? As for what I want in a car, well living in an area that gets a fair amount of snow so having AWD and a hatch are things I really want. I also don't want to sit super low as a I have bad back/knees. I want decent MPG but I also don't want a slow turd either. Right now I'm considering a new Hybrid Rav4 as it seems to hit all the boxes for me, but part of me would like something with a lower roof line to put my kayak on, which brings me to the TourX as a consideration even though they're slim pickings nowadays. The VW Alltrack (sans panaroof) is another thought but it has pretty much succumbed to the same fate as the TourX. The Subaru Outback is what my wife drives and I haven't been very impressed with owning one and it's pretty much and SUV, not so much a wagon anymore.

Any input or comments are greatly appreciated!

Regards
To be honest almost every mechanic on YouTube will say to buy a Toyota, Honda and now a Mazda. I may have to buy a car and I am thinking Camry Corolla or Avalon and I like the Civic too. Rav4 is Toyota's good choice for SUV. The Mazda M6 is a great looking car. If you want a totally luxurious car you might try a Chrysler 300 but how reliable they are I do not know. Rented one a while back and we loved it! Buick? Brother has a 2015 Regal and an Enclave. Happy with them. Friend has an Encore. She is somewhat happy. I just do not think anything beats Toyota quality. Avoid repairs and shops. I would not get a hybrid unless your driving is half highway and half city or more city. See YouTube videos from experts on hybrids. Good luck.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Just adding to the infotainment experience discussion from the newer Android UI side of things. @Wlepse has given a great overview of each system. The "Red vs. White" debate has been beaten to death and is mostly filled with biased and unfounded statements regarding which is best. My experience with a white needle car and the newer infotainment has been very positive overall.

Yes, you absolutely must give it time to boot. I am not one to start the car and immediately put it in gear so it doesn't affect me. Just let everything load and it'll be fine. Some people make it sound like it's the biggest inconvenience in the world to wait 30 seconds after starting the car lol. Beyond that, navigation doesn't load on occasion. Killing the app and reopening corrects it. Annoying but not really a big deal. I have never experienced the audio dropouts or greyed out presets.

Both systems have had issues that are mostly weird quirky annoyances more than anything substantial. You will find the newer systems have some options buried in the menu that are not available on the older systems, but nothing worth mentioning. The real difference is in appearance. Buy whichever one looks best to you. Get in front of each system, click around a bit, and go from there.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!