What did you do to / for your Encore today?

-1-

Buick Newbie
Chester, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore - Wife's
New member, wife's new Buick Encore, new mod

:eek:I'm Don from central Virginia. We picked up my wife's 2014 Buick Encore three weeks ago. I liked the Encore since I first saw one several months ago. I suggested it to my wife who was in the market for a new vehicle. We both liked the looks and features and found a exact match at a local dealer.

Her Encore is nicely equipped with the leather package. Nice list of options other than the desirable "Homelink" system in the rear view mirror to open a garage door, factory HID or LED headlights, and the popular LED daytime running lights. Only real dislike are the cheap black fake grills under the headlights.

I found this link on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-daytime...uick|Model:Encore&hash=item25810c499b&vxp=mtr.

Cost was $149 with free shipping. I chose the standard shipping vs economy at a additional cost of $35 for quicker shipping. Seems high, but I had the LED kit within one week of ordering (from Honk Kong). Installation over a several days due to a real full time job. I'll give a quick scenario of what's involved to install. First, You only need to removed two panels, the black plastic cover at the top front of the engine bay (removing the plastic push fasteners) and the interior cover below the steering wheel and headlight switch (three screws). I spent hours trying to find access to the back of the fake vents under the headlights. With no luck, I took a pair of pliers, twisted the middle section on each end and the middle and it pulled loose. To install the new LED lights, you have to feed the wiring through the small round hole to route the wiring to each headlight. To do so, you must cut the plug (6-8") from the end of the plug and once through the hole, you'll have to reconnect those wires. The plug for each LED light connects to the small LED control box with the kit. You'll have to disconnect the wiring harness to each vehicle headlight and tap the yellow wire from the control box to the green turn signal wire on each headlight. The yellow wire in each headlight harness is tapped to the white wire to the LED control box. You'll need to tap (add) a piece of wire to the other vehicle headlight. Red & black wires from the LED control box are connected to the positive and negative post on the vehicle battery. Last wire is the blue wire from the LED box and you need to tap into a vehicle accessory (positive) wire. I couldn't find anything in the engine bay, so I went through the rubber firewall plug containing the almost 1" thick wire bundle. Just be careful and check both sides of the rubber plug before drilling a small hole to run a single wire through it to the underneath of the dash. Once you remove the one lower interior dash panel, you have full access to the interior fuse panel. BE CAREFUL, THERE'S A LOWER DASH AIR BAG LOCATED HERE. Have a Bussman (brand) BF/HHH RP "ATM Fuse Add-A-Circuit (Advance Auto, Auto Zone) which you must install 2-10A mini fuses. Push the "add-a-circuit" into fuse slot F22 "Cigar Lighter/DC Accessory Power Outlet". Connect the lengthen red wire from the "add-a-circuit" through the firewall and connect to the blue wire to the LED control box. Check to make sure the LED are working as advertised, lights off, FULL LED power, headlights on, HALF LED power. Also, check to make sure each LED turn signal works.

All that's left is to route the wiring and makes sure it's secure. I purchased a ten foot section of the black plastic expandable wiring cover to cover the exposed wires from the headlights and to the battery connectors. I hid the excess wire and the LED control box under the black plastic cover in the engine bay that was removed to run the wiring to the headlights. I wrapped the LED control box in foam rubber and secured it away from the radiator and heat.

I real happy with newly installed LED lights, both off and on. Hated the black, cheap, fake factory vents. I love the LED light accents available on many cars, and available with this LED kit. One note: the Encore uses the low beam headlights at reduced power when the vehicle is on and the light switch is in the "auto" mode. With the LED kit, low beam headlights are still on at half power and the LEDs are also on at half power. To have the LEDs work as I wish, you must physically rotate the light switch to the off position. That turns the LEDs on at full, BRIGHT power and turns the DRL headlights off. The Encore headlight DRLs will always default back on once the engine is cut off, under day time lighting conditions. Many vehicle have provisions to disable day time running lights (DRLs). This isn't a option with the Encore.

Hope this helps those with previous electrical modding experience. I 'll add a few pictures when I can. Check out the pictures on the LINK above.

-1-

Buick Newbie
Chester, Virginia
Buick Ownership
:DUnable to edit my original post dated April 14, which I submitted on April 12th. I'll try to post some photos to accompany my written narrative on the install of the LED DRLs I installed on my wife's 2014 Encore. Any questions, contact through this forum. Here's the LINK to the eBay seller with additional pictures.

Attachments

• encore1.jpeg
    encore1.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 91
  • encore2.jpeg
    encore2.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 86
  • encore7.jpeg
    encore7.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

-1-

Buick Newbie
Chester, Virginia
Buick Ownership
;)Here's a few more pics of my LED DRL install.

Attachments

• encore3.jpeg
    encore3.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 74
  • encore4.jpeg
    encore4.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 72
  • encore5.jpeg
    encore5.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 75

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Dang... those came out nice!

And it sounds like you did a fine job of wiring them in.

Thanks for sharing!

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
I use the compartment to the left of the steering wheel, down low, to put my sunglasses in. They fit in there perfectly.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
Did the same... but a bit concerned that they may get scratched.

May yet line with felt or padding. :thumpsup:

14EncoreAWD

Buick Ownership
Buick
Threw in som Weathertech front, rear, and cargo liners. Got a good deal from gotexhaust.com. All 3 for $272.

14EncoreAWD

Buick Ownership
Buick
Caught a tiny rock while on the highway yesterday, and put a 10" crack in the 8 day old car's windsheild...

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Regarding the question about the model number for the headlights & foglights. Silverstar H 11 bulb for low beam headlights & foglights. They cost about $ 36 each at Walmart, and actually we could not see any difference between them and the factory low beam bulb. I traded the 2013 Encore in for a 2014 Premium model. Did not change any bulbs on the 2014 model thus far.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Don, the LED kit is much brighter than I imagined, looks nice. I think the installation is beyond me, I would have to find someone to do it if I were to buy them.

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2014 White Encore Premium FWD
Decided to soundproof the wheel-well liners and the inside of the doors on my 2014 Encore.
Used liquid sound deadener for the wheel wells and the doors. Not much road noise improvement noticed. The doors, however, feel a lot more solid. Here's some pictures
DSCF2052.jpg DSCF2052.jpg DSCF2054.jpg DSCF2058.jpg DSCF2067.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2052.jpg
    DSCF2052.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF2054.jpg
    DSCF2054.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF2058.jpg
    DSCF2058.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 38
Get your turbo buick badge right here!