What did you do to your Regal recently?

BuickBobby

Regal
this should be informative as I saw a similar thread on another forum for my Chevy. So I will start...

I have a 2016 Regal (2.4L) and it is time for a full fluid flush so I ordered everything on this page here
2016 BUICK REGAL recommended synthetic oil and filter instead of taking it to the dealership. Going to either do it myself or take it to a local shop. The dealer lately has some crazy prices and who knows what kind of fluids they are using, I need my engine to last as I put off a new Buick for now.

also ordered these RTX wheels, the rims are all dented, bent a bit and scratched from a family member who needs parallel parking lessons!

Security Check
cannot wait til they get here!!!

BoostedRegal2.0

2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Unless you have well over 100,000 miles on your car there's no need to change the coolant and transmission fluid. A lot of shops don't like to use a customer's fluids or parts so you might have to call various places to find one that will.

I change the oil & filter on my cars since I don't trust other people to do it since I have heard a lot of horror stories. It's easy to do with basic tools and a jack, then I know it's done right.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Unless you have well over 100,000 miles on your car there's no need to change the coolant and transmission fluid. A lot of shops don't like to use a customer's fluids or parts so you might have to call various places to find one that will.

I change the oil & filter on my cars since I don't trust other people to do it since I have heard a lot of horror stories. It's easy to do with basic tools and a jack, then I know it's done right.
How about the brake fluid?

Super LaX

Columbus, NJ
2014 Regal GS
...... I saw a similar thread on another forum for my Chevy. So I will start...

I recall a similar thread on this forum too.

Good luck with the car and post up some pics with the new rims!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You will need to cycle the ABS system and that requires a scan tool that specifically says it can do a ABS cycle, not a reader, otherwise air will be in the system. As far when, you will see all types of opinions not facts, mileage, years and usage can be guidelines. If the vehicle is in heavy stop and go traffic and/or hot weather conditions vs moderator weather and open driving conditions it may require different time frames. Just as very little driving in a heavy moist environment it won't have time to heat up and burn off moisture that may have been absorbed, it's not a one size fits all schedule as much as vehicle usage and environment.

ken4

2016 Regal Turbo Premium 2 FWD
You will need to cycle the ABS system and that requires a scan tool that specifically says it can do a ABS cycle, not a reader, otherwise air will be in the system. As far when, you will see all types of opinions not facts, mileage, years and usage can be guidelines. If the vehicle is in heavy stop and go traffic and/or hot weather conditions vs moderator weather and open driving conditions it may require different time frames. Just as very little driving in a heavy moist environment it won't have time to heat up and burn off moisture that may have been absorbed, it's not a one size fits all schedule as much as vehicle usage and environment.
I have never heard of cycling the ABS before, at what point is this done? The owners manual is saying 45,000 miles or 3 years. Both of my cars are on 4 years but are low miles. 11,000 and 20,000 miles.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
When doing a brake fluid change on any vehicle with ABS the module check valve's may not be in a open position and air is in the module so it needs to be cycled to bleed out the air. It a simplified description of the process but it's a reason why some people have no brakes or soft pedal after bleeding just the wheel cylinders.

As far as when to do it well honestly that's a can of worms on forums as it ranges from following the manufacturers to never doing it ever. The correct way is what you as the vehicle owner is comfortable with, low mileage and mild driving conditions may make 5yr/50k make more sense, if those low mileage are all track day events that makes a difference.

BoostedRegal2.0

I have never heard of cycling the ABS before, at what point is this done? The owners manual is saying 45,000 miles or 3 years. Both of my cars are on 4 years but are low miles. 11,000 and 20,000 miles.
My 2014 owners manual says the brake fluid should be changed at 150,000 miles or 10 years, even in severe conditions.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Attached is the 2016 Buick Regal service intervals which shows Change brake/clutch fluid 45000 (or every 3 years, whichever occurs first.

Attachments

BoostedRegal2.0

I find it odd that the same car made in a different year has a different maintenance schedule. So in reality GM should update the 2014 owners manual if they thought 10 years was too long when they came out with the 2017 model.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
As I mentioned it's confusing when there isn't a establish guideline that a owner can follow. Do manufacturers make errors, TSB and recalls confirms it so a owner is somewhat left with common sense judgment calls on when a service interval is correct. There are test strips for checking moisture in brake fluid, pros and cons, but it's at least one method to see the fluids condition also there are some YouTube on it being tested.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
Maybe the 2.4L engine the OP says they have in their 16 Regal has different intervals than the 2.0L?????
I guess common sense would mean using the owner's manual to give the maintenance intervals that the manufacturer recommends.

BoostedRegal2.0

The owners manual covers the 2.0 and the 2.4 so the maintenance intervals are the same for the coolant and trans fluid and brake fluid. The interval does vary depending on the year of the car though. The only difference is the spark plugs need to be changed at 60K for the 2.0 and 97K for the 2.4 motor. Plus it lists a different oil filter for each motor so that's why I know both cars have the same owners manual.

RufusTeague

Mount Prospect, IL
2014 Regal 2.4
this should be informative as I saw a similar thread on another forum for my Chevy. So I will start...

I have a 2016 Regal (2.4L) and it is time for a full fluid flush so I ordered everything on this page here
2016 BUICK REGAL recommended synthetic oil and filter instead of taking it to the dealership. Going to either do it myself or take it to a local shop. The dealer lately has some crazy prices and who knows what kind of fluids they are using, I need my engine to last as I put off a new Buick for now.

also ordered these RTX wheels, the rims are all dented, bent a bit and scratched from a family member who needs parallel parking lessons!

Security Check
cannot wait til they get here!!!
Man, TELL ME ABOUT IT! I no longer trust anyone to drive my car anymore. Once I had to buy another rim. I hate curb rash with a passion. Let us know how you like the RTX wheels. Where did you get them?

That synthetic oil IS THE BOMB. Not long ago I was at my friend's uncle's warehouse. He owns a large fleet of trucks for his A/C repair business. I wasn't part of the conversation, but I was listening him explain to one of his colleagues or business associates about how much money that oil was saving his business. He said something about some trial he did with 1/4 of the fleet using it for over a year. From what I could tell, it looks like he has over 80 or so vehicles. He said those vehicle that he switched to the oil and transmission fluid are the ones that didn't have any problems while the others that didn't use it were always having issues. His said the ones that used the oil used a little bit less fuel than the other trucks. That's why I want it because I do a ton of driving for my job. It's expensive to keep changing the oil so often, plus I don't have the time to keep putting the vehicle in for service all the time. I have never seen that oil in the store. I thought that was only for commercial vehicles. My Regal is a 2014 2.4. I saw that page you posted was for the 2016, but then I found the 2014 on there. Hopefully it will get here by next week.

Cheers

Get your turbo buick badge right here!