What is my 1999 Riviera Supercharged worth?

Thread starter #1

99RivieraSC

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello. I recently found out how rare these cars are. ~1700 made and only ~50-100 remain! I understand rarity means nothing without demand. If there's one of something but nobody wants it then it's essentially worthless...Anyway, mine has 80k miles on it. Let's suppose it's in mint condition. What's it worth? Is it worth hanging on to?

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Hello. I recently found out how rare these cars are. ~1700 made and only ~50-100 remain! I understand rarity means nothing without demand. If there's one of something but nobody wants it then it's essentially worthless...Anyway, mine has 80k miles on it. Let's suppose it's in mint condition. What's it worth? Is it worth hanging on to?

If it was a silver arrow, it would be worth more. The last 200 99 Rivieras built were silver arrows. I own a 98. Not sure the 99 is a better car. All the 95-99 Rivieras are awesome cars though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSupMibO7QI

TimKern

Buick Ownership
1997 Riviera
As with anything, it's "worth hanging on to" if you enjoy the car more than what somebody offers you for it, at any moment in time. What it's going to be selling for in 20 years is irrelevant -- no one can predict that, or what you'll want to get for it.
Sorry I can't be more helpful -- it's just that I taught Econ for 15 years. Can't help it.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
In mint condition a Supercharged 1999 Riviera I would pay around $ 5,000 Because parts for it are not easy to find.
Even tho not many Rivieras were made and gazillions of Grand Prix's were made...

For a mint 1999 Supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I'd pay $5,000 to $6,000 depending on options. Because Parts for the car are very cheap and easy to find.

So it's all about who is willing to pay how much.

A good friend of mine had a 1995 or 1996 Riviera about 15-18 years ago. After several other car that he had after the Riviera, he still thinks the Riviera was the best and probably will be hard for him to like a car more than he like the Riviera,... unless it's costs a crapload of cash and it's some supercar or the like.

When it comes to older cars... I pay double for a car that has not a spot of rust compared to the same car with almost no rust.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I'm late coming to the party on this thread but couldn't help chiming in.

I bought a '97 Riv SC in 1999 with really low miles, something like 7,000...
It was a GM employee trade in on a new Cadillac.
For the life of me, I don't really remember exactly what I paid for it? Maybe $19,000?
I just remember that the original sticker was over $30,000.

I kept it until late 2003 when I traded it in with a little over 100,000 miles.
I remember that $7,000 was going to be my minimum trade in value and but ended up getting $9,000.
Car was White Diamond, loaded, no mechanical problems, and fairly new tires.
Other than "high" mileage it was still in excellent condition,

It is still one of my favorite vehicles to have owned and I would say the best in terms of build quality, materials, and overall quality control. And I still contend that the 3800 series engines are some of the best that GM ever came out with. I remember that the car consistently got over 27mpg highway and 30mpg was not uncommon.

Rarely see the last generation of the Riviera's today, but when I do, I always have to turn and look.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
What's the difference between a rare or a used car, nothing. Unless there is a market (buyer), it has the same value as other cars in the same condition and year. Can a used limited production car increase in value, yes, but again it needs to have some type of interest and demand.

As a example the 1974 buick Apollo GSX, rare yes, but to be honest no one really cares about this car and fewer people even know it was made, now compare it to the 1970 GSX. Only 4 years separate these two cars, but prices are miles apart as is demand, interest, preformance and style which dictates what it's worth. It's exactly what someone is willing to pay for it is what it worth.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
What's the difference between a rare or a used car, nothing. Unless there is a market (buyer), it has the same value as other cars in the same condition and year. Can a used limited production car increase in value, yes, but again it needs to have some type of interest and demand.

As a example the 1974 buick Apollo GSX, rare yes, but to be honest no one really cares about this car and fewer people even know it was made, now compare it to the 1970 GSX. Only 4 years separate these two cars, but prices are miles apart as is demand, interest, preformance and style which dictates what it's worth. It's exactly what someone is willing to pay for it is what it worth.
Lucerne, you are so right on this!!!
I tell people all the time that the value of anything is only determined at the time you are ready to sell it and you have an actual buyer in front of you.

With that being said...

A few years ago(maybe 10?) I passed up on a chance to buy a low mile, 1975 Ferrari 308. It was one of the early 308's and had a fiberglass body, a year or 2 later Ferrari switched over to all steel. I could have bought the car for a little less than $30,000. Unknown at the time, was that the 308's had bottomed out in value. But I decided I didn't need another toy at the time... stupid... :( Since then the 308's and 328's have skyrocketed in price. A year or two ago, I watched what might have been the same car sell at a high-end car auction for $175,000. Still kicking myself on that one, but you just never know...

I never buy any "toy" with the intent of making money on it.
If I buy a toy, it is because I wanted it and intend on enjoying it, not because I think I might make some money on it.

Last edited:
Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Well if I only held on to the $20.00 1964 Dodge Coronet, the profit margin percentage would have been in the same realm by now LOL.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.