What is other cable on neg battery terminal?

Tlager31

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal T
I was replacing the battery for the first time on my 2013 and noticed that there was a lot of corrosion around the negative battery terminal. Even worse, there is a second cable attached which has been practically worn through probably by rubbing on the battery cover. The wire itself is too thin to actually be the main ground. It is barely hanging by a thread. What is this cable for? Is it hard to fix or replace?

thanks.

MikeC725

Northville, MI
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
I hope your battery didn't look like this...........
20171111_165159_zpsxg7hunj2.jpg

Check your batteries now, before it starts to get cold!

Sorry, I'm not sure what the wire is for. Mine is a 14, so it may be different.

EnderWiggin

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Mine was the Positive terminal last March, the fuse box was half eaten, caused a by a crack near the terminal by the battery causing acid to leak. I've never seen corrosion that bad.

MikeC725

Northville, MI
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
I've never seen corrosion that bad.

Funny thing is (well, now it's funny), I had it into the dealer for an oil change and 1 million point inspection the week before the battery died. I guess they needed a 1,000,001 point inspection. Battery was still under warranty.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
if there is sufficient play in the cable cut off the corroded end and solder a new connector on. It is a ground for some other component that needed a direct ground to the battery.

Tlager31

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal T
Mike, my battery was just like the one in the picture if not worse. I have never had a battery that was as bad.

In doing a little research, I believe the extra cable is a shortcut for the electronics to get a less resistance ground. Not sure, but that is reasonable since it is such as thin wire.

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM
One wire goes directly to the body control module, the other goes to the frame/engine.

chartny

Buick Newbie
Upstate NY
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne '11
If your battery does not look like this, you need some help. Pic of 7 year old Lucerne. Used car as purchased.
-chart-

Attachments

• BuickBatLo18.jpg
    BuickBatLo18.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 21

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Battery grease will avoid the corrosion issue. Wife killed battery via light on a Mazda and corrosion was on terminal. I know grease was used....so brushed off....jumped car. Is what it is.....life goes on.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!