• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What is the black box in the trunk? 99 Ultra

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
So I got a 99 ultra and I was putting things in there when I noticed it has a black module under the speaker. What is this? It says delco equipment on it. Didnt have time to grab a photo, but I can later.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Probably the control module for the key fob (?) as that seems to be the standard location for most.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Depending on which one you are looking at as there are 2 rear shelf boxes. #5 is for the FOB, #16 is for the stereo.
9611144C10-032.png9611144C15-005.png

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
There are also 3 more boxes behind the plastic tray between the trunk and the back of the rear seat(at least on the 02 and up)
The 5 boxes are:
Factory amplifier. 2 versions, 6 or 9 speaker.
Remote keyless control brain.
Onstar control brain.
Ride height controller for rear air shocks.
One I haven't figured out yet. It just has part numbers, that return to "Module, General body control" when referenced to AC Delco and GM websites.

There are 4 more in the "C" pillars
Antenna amplifier for radio. (Driver side)
Rear window fog control box. (Driver side)
Onstar radio module. (Pass side)
Onstar GPS module. (Pass side)

Buick Ownership
Well that was informative. Based on location it must be the fob box. I dont recall my 98 having that box in that location, I can check sometime. Cant open the trunk till I find where I set the key oof. Need my jumper cables from back there and my quart of oil!

Buick Ownership
No battery. And the trunk release is by the driver left knee when sitting in the car haha.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
No battery and jumper cables in the locked trunk that you need to find the key for so you could use the jumper cables in it to open the trunk LOL, got it. My 95 and 07 have the trunk release in the glove box but some people either forget or never knew that it's there as it never gets used.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The Lucerne's don't have a trunk key, great engineering idea as apparently the remote trunk release will never break LOL. So learning all options is required reading in the manual including how to use the emergency pull in the trunk through the backseat pass through, dumb.

pila80

Sustaining Member
mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
Just more crap that will fail as the vehicle gets older. Then of course, the fixes will cost more that the value of the vehicle. A friend calls today's cars, "throw-away cars," and he may have a valid point...