• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What is the easiest way to change spark plugs in an 06 Buick Rendezvous?

John L

Buick Newbie
3 front plugs simple and easy to change, however the rear ones are another story! Anybody have any recommendations as to how to get to the rear plugs for someone who prefers to do their own work? (nearest garage is about a 3 hour drive so no idiot suggestions to take it to one)
2006 Buick Rendezvous CX, V6 3.5L.
I've already Googled and came up with very little, looking to hear from someone who has experience with this vehicle already.

J.A.F.E.

Buick Ownership
Buick
They are pretty easy if you know the trick. The engine rocks forward for access to the back plugs. The procedure in this post http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11337 is for a Regal but the parts involved and the procedure is the same for your Rendezvous.

Basically there are two struts at the top of the engine. If you disconnect them the engine will rock forward and there's plenty of room to get to the back plugs.

lrj975

Westfield NJ
Buick Ownership
02 Rendezvous CXL 1-owner
on my 02 Rendezvous the way I got to get the the back 3 spark plugs was by removing the plug wires off the coil and then remove the 3 coil packs.
iirc it's 2 10mm bolts on each coil.

with the coils packs removed there's just enough clearance to reach down with one arm and a ratchet, socket, extention, swivels. It's all by feel, can't see it.

removing the ignition wire from each plug is also tough. I used small vice grips and with as little grip as possible, twist the boot to free it then pull off, don't just pull on the wire as that could damage it.

trentonman60

Buick Ownership
Buick
I changed my plugs by removing the front upper motor mounts, the air cleaner snorkel and then rocked the motor as far forward as it would go. Once rocked forward I held it there by using a ratcheting strap from the engine lift eye to a oval slot in the upper radiator support. I didn't take off the coils but I did remove the alternator which left a place to reach behind the engine for me. Word of advice, buy the best spark plugs you can get, changing them is miserable so do cheap out and regret it later.

Leem

Buick Ownership
2006 rendezvous cxl awd 3.6
I just felt back there did it blind.. all by feel. Felt the front ones up and down real good to know what I was looking for when I reached around there wasn't too bad..

zen-in

Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Rendezvous
My 2006 Rendezvous CXL 3.6L AWD does not rock forward enough to access the rear plugs. I just finished replacing all the coils and plugs. I had to remove the intake manifold. On the backside of the manifold, passenger side, there are 2 connectors that have to be undone. In center back there is one vacuum hose that pulls out easy. Behind the throttle body there are 2 hoses to remove. Be careful with them. They are difficult to get at, hard to pull out, and break easy. There is also one sensor connector on top. I removed the throttle body and flexible hose. Unscrew all 6 bolts on the top of the intake manifold. Remove the 2 short bolts, left side front and right side rear. Don't drop them. Uncouple the top motor mounts and push down on one while removing the 2 front bolts. They should just clear the body. Pull the rear bolts up as high as they will go and clip small spring clamps on them to hold them up. These 2 bolts will be trapped behind the wiper mechanism at the top and will drag against the fuel pipe below. Before proceeding the engine needs to be pulled down. Attach a tow strap to the driver side engine mount fitting on the engine. Run it down under the vehicle and fasten it to the back of another vehicle behind. Put the Rendezvous in Neutral, set the emergency brake and chock all 4 wheels. Drive forward in low gear with the second vehicle until the strap is tight. Lift the manifold up and move it forward so the bottom of the bolts both clear the gas line under the manifold. Now remove the clips so the bolts fall down. They should clear the wiper arms on top. Move the manifold forward some more, tilt it and pull the bolts up. Now the manifold can be removed entirely. Release the engine strap. It will be needed again when you put the intake manifold back on. Order replacement metal foil gaskets, not the crappy Felpro one. It is very easy to remove the rear coils and plugs now. I tacked the new rear gasket on the manifold before putting it back on the engine and started with the 2 rear long bolts in and with the spring clips on them. Just do everything in reverse. Very tough, but doable.

Last edited:
Turbo Buick Badge