What is the manual position on the shift lever used for on a 2018 Regal

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
The salesman at the dealership showed me how to shift into manual 1 and said if I shift into manual 3 the start/stop feature would not work. I can shift into manual 1, but was not able to shift to 2 and 3. Can anyone give me some additional information on this feature? All I found in the manual was: "Toggle between DRIVE and MANUAL: While you’re in DRIVE, pull the shifter rearward to shift to M. Note: In MANUAL, use the paddle shifters on your steering wheel. Pull the shifter rearward again to return to D. " Also, where are the paddle shifters on the steering wheel?
Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Manual should be pulling the lever (when it is at D) to the left. If it refuses to move, try pressing and holding the button. Dont try too hard if it really doesn't move. When it's in position, shift up by pushing it forward and down by pulling it backwards.

And also, it shouldn't matter which gear you're in to defeat the auto stop-start. The function should be deactivated as long as you are in M mode. When you stop, it is impossible that the car still stays in any gear other than 1 anyway, since it automatically shifts down for you.

And the 2018 Regal does not have paddle shifters. The manual is probably just being general.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
I know there are not paddles offered today but are there paddle shifters planned for future models? Would seem if you offer a GS - it should be part of the package.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
the manual shifter activates when you move the stick to the left when in D. When in manual mode, the shift lever becomes a sequential shifter, forward to go up a gear and backwards to go down the gears.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I know there are not paddles offered today but are there paddle shifters planned for future models? Would seem if you offer a GS - it should be part of the package.
It is a frequent topic of everyone interested in a GS. IMO, it should be on the car, because there is really no reason not to (other than GM being cheap really). Opel Insignia has it, and even LaCrosse has it.
Although I could argue paddling through 9 non-DSG gears is a bit less of necessity

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
did you read page 224 of the manual, it explains DSC, driver shift control, and mentions nothing about paddles
https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gm...2018/Buick/2018-buick-regal-owners-manual.pdf
I have been reading my manual, but I did not see the driver shift control information on page 224 because I did not know to look there. What I said in my post was the only information I found. Thanks for telling me about page 224. Still, it does not say how to get from 1 to 2 to 3 like the salesman said I should try. Maybe the 2018 Regal does not have a 2 and a 3.

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
Manual should be pulling the lever (when it is at D) to the left. If it refuses to move, try pressing and holding the button. Dont try too hard if it really doesn't move. When it's in position, shift up by pushing it forward and down by pulling it backwards.

And also, it shouldn't matter which gear you're in to defeat the auto stop-start. The function should be deactivated as long as you are in M mode. When you stop, it is impossible that the car still stays in any gear other than 1 anyway, since it automatically shifts down for you.

And the 2018 Regal does not have paddle shifters. The manual is probably just being general.
Guess I'll try M mode the next time I'm driving the car and see what happens. Thanks.

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
I do have my AC running on MAX with recycle on also. I found that stop/start was still working. I'll try leaving the recycle air mode off to see what happens. Thanks.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I have been reading my manual, but I did not see the driver shift control information on page 224 because I did not know to look there. What I said in my post was the only information I found. Thanks for telling me about page 224. Still, it does not say how to get from 1 to 2 to 3 like the salesman said I should try. Maybe the 2018 Regal does not have a 2 and a 3.
You get to 2 or 3 by moving the shifter forward to go up a number and backwards to go down a number. The number should be displayed in the area where you normally see P, N, or D.

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
You get to 2 or 3 by moving the shifter forward to go up a number and backwards to go down a number. The number should be displayed in the area where you normally see P, N, or D.
Well, when I tried moving the shifter forward the number stays at 1. Maybe the 2018 Regal don't have an option to go up. At least my shifter won't. Guess I could ask the service people at the dealership, but I'm finding out more here then I do at the dealership.

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
When I put my 2018 Sportback into Manual mode, the auto stop/start disables. It also disables when I have the AC running on MAX.
Today I tried driving the car in Manual mode, but the tach showed that I was revving the engine to high and I was still on my block going slow. I tried again running the AC on MAX, but the stop/start engaged when I was stop at a redlight. However, the engine did seem to come back on faster, before the cabin really became uncomfortable.

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
So far what seems to work for me is putting the car in neutral or park and keeping my foot on the brake. A/C stays running and the engine stays running. This is a "pain" but it does keep the car cool.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Today I tried driving the car in Manual mode, but the tach showed that I was revving the engine to high and I was still on my block going slow. I tried again running the AC on MAX, but the stop/start engaged when I was stop at a redlight. However, the engine did seem to come back on faster, before the cabin really became uncomfortable.
When you're in manual mode you have to change gears yourself. Tap the stick forward to go up and tap backwards to go down the gears.

NewTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I think some people are over complicating this:

1) As you are braking to a stop, move the shift lever into the M position.
2) Stop and hold the brakes for as long as you normally would. The engine will not auto-stop as long as you remain in M.
3) When you are ready to go, release the brakes and move the shift lever back into the D position. You can move it back to D while you are accelerating, but make sure to move it back before you start bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st.

For very slow moving/stop and go traffic, it is useful just to stay in M mode and manually shift between 1st,2nd,3rd etc. M mode will automatically downshift for you when braking to a stop.

I wish we didn't have to do this at all.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I think some people are over complicating this:

1) As you are braking to a stop, move the shift lever into the M position.
2) Stop and hold the brakes for as long as you normally would. The engine will not auto-stop as long as you remain in M.
3) When you are ready to go, release the brakes and move the shift lever back into the D position. You can move it back to D while you are accelerating, but make sure to move it back before you start bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st.

For very slow moving/stop and go traffic, it is useful just to stay in M mode and manually shift between 1st,2nd,3rd etc. M mode will automatically downshift for you when braking to a stop.

I wish we didn't have to do this at all.
Seriously, it can't that simple !
:LOL:

Sometimes I don't mind the auto-stop.

I would drive more often in manual only, if the gears weren't so freaking close in ratios. Especially at full throttle this 9 speed is a bad idea.

But yeah, most of the time I do as you explained. It ain't rocket science.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Seriously, it can't that simple !
:LOL:

Sometimes I don't mind the auto-stop.

I would drive more often in manual only, if the gears weren't so freaking close in ratios. Especially at full throttle this 9 speed is a bad idea.

But yeah, most of the time I do as you explained. It ain't rocket science.
9 speed is ought to be brilliant if no one ever thought of driving in manual mode. However, the lack of a killer switch for auto stop start have caused all the fuss. That's some really odd decision making by GM.

Krava

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
I tried this out today and found that using M mode works to keep the A/C going. Like that it automatically shifts to a lower gear when you slow down. Need to get used to knowing when to shift from 1 to 2 to 3, etc. It has been over 30 years since I drove a car with a manual transmission, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I really like the car, but living in Florida you need the A/C to be on all time at full mode and not cutting back at the long traffic lights. Car does not get that warm at a stop sign, it is the long traffic lights that is causing me my "A/C unhappiness". Salesman actually called to apologize for not telling me about stop/start, after I spent my money.
Thanks to everyone for your help. :)

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I tried this out today and found that using M mode works to keep the A/C going. Like that it automatically shifts to a lower gear when you slow down. Need to get used to knowing when to shift from 1 to 2 to 3, etc. It has been over 30 years since I drove a car with a manual transmission, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I really like the car, but living in Florida you need the A/C to be on all time at full mode and not cutting back at the long traffic lights. Car does not get that warm at a stop sign, it is the long traffic lights that is causing me my "A/C unhappiness". Salesman actually called to apologize for not telling me about stop/start, after I spent my money.
Thanks to everyone for your help. :)
If you have the AC on the MAX setting (and not Eco) and the air not in the re-circulate mode, the auto-stop-start should not work..
At least on my Regal when AC is on MAX with out re-circulation, the auto-stop-start doesn't function.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.