• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What is this noise 3.8 lucerne???

stocker340

Buick Ownership
97 park avenue
noise video

I have a 3.8 lucerne 160000 miles with the above noise
I have taken the serpentine off and run the motor with the same noise!
I have pulled each plug wire off hoping it wasnt a bearing or something!
I changed the oil again 5w30 synthetic like always with filter and run almost a quart of lucas engine oil stabilizer with it and drove 300 miles afterward and it still does it.
The noise started a month ago
Car runs great just the noise? It seems to have everyone stumped.
Any Ideas buick folks?
Click noise video link at the top

Thxs

Dale in south dakota

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Chirping belt??

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Since the noise is still there with out the accessory belt, I wonder if it's the harmonic balance crank damper or something caught in behind it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
While it may be something else, little hard to hear location from video, this may be a possibility as mentioned above Zeroboostbuick in the beginning stages. The video is really bad harmonic balancer noise but you may want to check yours.

stocker340

Buick Ownership
97 park avenue
i think its a bit louder in the passenger side area?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Take the positive crankcase valve out and see if that's the problem.
Takes a few seconds to take the valve out. Just foogle " 3800 PCV replacement" if you don't know how. Sometimes you might need needle nose pliers if it's very dirty and tight. Even if the problem is not the PCV valve, you can use any type of cleaner to rince it out like carb cleaner, brake fluid etc and give it a cleaning.

stocker340

Buick Ownership
97 park avenue
Thanks for your reply as I made a mistake here
I should not have said fixed as it isn't fixed yet as I had a post in another area on this site about my Buick park Avenue that was solved
I am going to try this and see what happens and thanks for your input

stocker340

Buick Ownership
97 park avenue
Take the positive crankcase valve out and see if that's the problem.
Takes a few seconds to take the valve out. Just foogle " 3800 PCV replacement" if you don't know how. Sometimes you might need needle nose pliers if it's very dirty and tight. Even if the problem is not the PCV valve, you can use any type of cleaner to rince it out like carb cleaner, brake fluid etc and give it a cleaning.
I am going to try this I will reply back

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
noise video

I have a 3.8 lucerne 160000 miles with the above noise
I have taken the serpentine off and run the motor with the same noise!
I have pulled each plug wire off hoping it wasnt a bearing or something!
I changed the oil again 5w30 synthetic like always with filter and run almost a quart of lucas engine oil stabilizer with it and drove 300 miles afterward and it still does it.
The noise started a month ago
Car runs great just the noise? It seems to have everyone stumped.
Any Ideas buick folks?
Click noise video link at the top

Thxs

Dale in south dakota
Im late to replying to this thread but the problem is still there so here is my input.

This sound is probably a bearing issue. Here is how I diagnose these things -->

Get a one gallon jug like what window washer fluid comes in. Cut off the bottom about an inch up. Then take a large screw driver and run it thru the bottom you cut off so that the handle of the screw driver is stuck in the top opening of the jug. Now you have a speaker :) Take it and stick the end of the screw driver on one of the pulley's or near it and listen. When you find the pulley where the noise is the loudest then you have found the bad pulley.

Remove your serpentine belt and check the pulley for movement. It shouldnt move back and fourth. It should just rotate smoothly.

Replace the bad pulley.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I guess you missed the part where it's making the noise without the serpentine belt on.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Pedal Commander