What's your opinion on OnStar?

Do you have Onstar or have you canceled the service?

• I have onstar

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I canceled the service

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I would keep it for a very small monthly fee for monitoring

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Both of my vehicles have Onstar. The acadia came with a 1 year package and the 2011 LaCrosse came with 6 months. I think the service is great from a safety standpoint but at roughly $30 per month it's a full cell phone bill.

The acadia does not have navigation built in but Onstar was handy when we didn't know where we were going. With the LaCrosse having a nav system, sang an advisor to send me directions seems like a duplication of effort.

I've let both expire. I can't see paying that much for the service. If it was a $5 per month monitor service with no calling I'd probably do it but I'm not paying a full cell phone bill for accident monitoring.

What's everyone's thoug on this. There has to be a better model for Onstar to follow to get subscribers without paying is much.

John

Thehatguy

Dallas, TX
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS
Have Nav in both Infiniti's and the LaCrosse. Have never used a Nav system for a route.

Easier to get a map online than punch in the info.

OnStar is cute, but I already pay dearly for iPhones and an iPad that I don't need the additional expenses for OnStar.

I'm just not a good candidate.

John

MikeERideWNC

Murphy, NC
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse
Almost forgot.... I have Garmin and Verizon.
I don't want to pay for OnStar.

MikeERideWNC

Murphy, NC
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse
So not sure if you tried it.

Be one of 10 lucky drivers to win a dream car. You don't even need to be a subscriber to enter.
  • 1. Push the OnStar button in your vehicle to enter.1
  • 2. Stay on the line.
  • 3. Tell an Advisor you want to enter the push On giveaway
Just push the OnStar button. You could be driving a new Corvette, Escalade, Enclave or Sierra.
Push it soon. The sweepstakes ends May 31, 2011.

My OnStar never goes to an advisor.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
Being a 2011 vehicle, we only got 6 months free:(.

We bought this car as our first new 'luxury' vehicle and we spent more on it than any other vehicle prior. It didn't make sense for us NOT to have everything this vehicle could do......at least for the first few years.
So with that in mind, we purchased the 3 (or 4?) year plan that offers the best price. I tried to look at it more as safety insurance than a luxury benefit and just bit the bullet. We did the same with XM too although that was purely for fun.

buckeye09

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
IMO the accident monitoring/alert is the only compelling aspect of Onstar.

I have Nav (and GPS on phone), so don't need the directions.

Have bluetooth, so don't need Onstar's calling capability.

The unlock service is nice for peace of mind, but being that I have only locked keys in a car once and the Lacrosse has some safety measures to prevent that, it is probably not really useful.

The Mylink phone app would be somewhat interesting, but I doubt I would need the remote unlock (see above) and doubt I would use the remote start from phone. The only scenario I could see using that is when I am at work, my car is parked further than remote start from key fob would work, but it is in a parking garage, so I would not use it.

To me Onstar needs to be of more value. Either offer significantly more services (Mylink app for 2010 would be a good start) or significantly lower the price.

I could see Onstar being more useful for less tech savvy people who maybe don't have bluetooth capable phone (or know how to use), don't have nav system (or stand alone GPS), have a history of locking keys in car, etc.

I would probably pay around $5/month for just the accident monitoring. Might be willing to pay up to $10/month if Mylink app included.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
I didn't mention when I wrote the post that I do like the iPhone app for OnStar. There are times, as I live in Phoenix, where I have my car parked outside of covered parking. It's not often, but it would be great to still have access via my phone to start the car. I have used it before but it won't reach the car in the concrete parking structure.

One thing I would like to be able to do with the OnStar system is use my phone without all the extra pain of voice commands. I'd like to be able to push the onstar button and call via my car but push the steering wheel button and say dial and have it use my paired iPhone by default without me saying all those extra commands. It's a pain remembering all those and I've never made an effort to do it. My dad does and it's quicker to pick up the phone and dial the contact or number without messing around.

Better yet, once my minutes have expired, let me just call straight through the onstar system in my car and have it dial my phone automatically. It virtually does this now, if I pick up the phone and push on my sister's contact, then her number dials and I have the connection through the built in blue tooth. It's just not easy to use if you don't use their minutes.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
It is good for free, however, I never use it. With my Garmin I don't have to speak with a human being.

taverg03

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have it but it is still free for another 5 months and I'm not sure if I will continue (your poll doesn't consider that).

I've used it for turn-by-turn info but more for input into my NAV system when the maps in the unit couldn't find a location. That worked well. But I have a Garmin Nuvi with free lifetime- traffic re-routing which I could use but don't bother taking for shorter road trips.

Fortunately, we haven't needed the most important feature, emergency response and we have an auto club membership for flats, battery, and lockout.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
I agree with some of the people here as well. I haven't used any of the OnStar featured which were provided to me free for 1 year. The only part which I had an interest in was the smartphone app and thanks to another post, I'm finding out that the 2010 LaCrosse will not be supported. Figures. That only leaves the crash monitoring functionality which I have any sort of mild interest in. If that was available for, say, $5/month, I'd pay it. Anything more, I'm not interested.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
With an 18 month old son, I feel safer knowing that if something happens to my wife or I in an accident, OnStar will make sure an emergency responder gets to the car. Overpriced insurance, maybe. But I pay a lot more for peace of mind in other places.

Godzson

Aurora, IL
Buick Ownership
Buick
I agree with some of the people here as well. I haven't used any of the OnStar featured which were provided to me free for 1 year. The only part which I had an interest in was the smartphone app and thanks to another post, I'm finding out that the 2010 LaCrosse will not be supported. Figures. That only leaves the crash monitoring functionality which I have any sort of mild interest in. If that was available for, say, $5/month, I'd pay it. Anything more, I'm not interested.
Co sign.

I haven't used it at all. I occasionally glance at the email it sends me every month to tell me my tire pressure :rolleyes:

birdman-68

Buick Newbie
Illinois
Buick Ownership
2011 LaCrosse
I bought my 2011 LaCrosse in Nov, and the only time I pushed that onstar or the free phone service button was when I set up the service during the purchase. So I let it expire. Maybe a $5.00 monitoring fee would be OK, but anything more is a waste of money for services that I will not use.

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
....have never used it and likely never will.

I just read recently that it is /has been a profit maker for GM since inception in 1996 with $1 billion in sales, 6 million users (4 million pd.) and double digit profits. In order to keep up with the Jones...Onstar will be expanded this spring....even starting to hawk their wares in Best Buys for $299 for other brands of cars and expanding in the 'infotainment' field. Chevy comes out with ChevroletMyLink this spring as well.

Stat tuned...for those of us who didn't re-up when the freebie was over...GM is supposed to launch a campaign to win you back. Starting right around now....we're supposed to see an ad campaign telling us to push the magic button for a free year of service and that this will also qualify you for the chance to win a new car.

Onstar is now offered in China....to the tune of 40,000 new subscribers per month.

CeElB

Buick Ownership
Buick
With an 18 month old son, I feel safer knowing that if something happens to my wife or I in an accident, OnStar will make sure an emergency responder gets to the car. Overpriced insurance, maybe. But I pay a lot more for peace of mind in other places.

Yep, same here. We take multiple trips a year accross state lines (300 - 500 miles), either together or my wife alone. The extra feeling of safety that we (or she) can just push a button and call help in case of an emergency or flat or ... in the middle of where we don't know anybody is worth the money to us. Same is true for the automatic response in case there is an accident. That's about the only feature we "use".

It is expensive, though. Every year when we renew, we consider cancelling it ... If that emergency plan was in the $10/month range, we would just auto-renew.

Btw, our 2010 LaCrosse (purchased Feb. 2010) came with 1 year of free service.

Thehatguy

Dallas, TX
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS
You don't have to be a subscriber to enter the contest.

Just push the blue button and tell them you want to enter the contest.

Ten people will win ANY GM car of their choice, except the Volt.

Yes, even a ZR1!

John

Get your turbo buick badge right here!