Wheel Bearings 2013 Encore

ldog2003

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Encore
Thread starter #1
I just wanted to share this experience for my fellow encore owners.

87K on the 2013 and its time for wheel bearings on both front tires. I have a rotational grinding noise that gets worse as I go faster. I have had 2 shops inspect and they both agree its time.

That’s not an atypical service interval for this part, wheel bearing, especially sealed bearings like the Encore has ware out between 80 and 100K.

The front bearings (and all 4-wheel bearings on AWD models) are the pressed type, not the bolt on bearing/hub assembly. This means I do not have the ability to do it myself. After getting several quotes, I have opted to order the parts myself and my local trusted mechanic will install them.

Because it’s a pressed bearing I have also opted to replace the hub as well at the recommendation of my mechanic and a couple close friends who are gearheads.

This means I am not picking the cheapest possible option, but this way I can choose my own parts to make sure I am getting quality components and I am using a mechanic I trust will do the work right.

There is at least one thing you should all know that I have learned during my experience so far. There is a problem with the description online of AC Delco Part Number FW406. Several websites list it as a complete bearing and hub assembly, it is NOT, it is just the hub. Bearings sold separately.

The whole project is costing me about $500, which is not bad at considering what is being done. I am paying $200 for parts and my mechanic is charging me $300 for labor.

The pats shipped today, I hope to have them here and on the car by the end of the week. I will keep you all updated.

ldog2003

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Encore
Thread starter #2
The bearings and hubs showed up finally. RA shipped them from two different locations. The shop changed the passenger side only and the noise seems to be gone. for now I am just keeping an eye on it.

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
The bearings and hubs showed up finally. RA shipped them from two different locations. The shop changed the passenger side only and the noise seems to be gone. for now I am just keeping an eye on it.
Thanks for the update.

General Rule of thumb is if you turn wheel left while driving, right bearing will be put under load and make noise, and vice versa. Is this what you experienced? Very interesting GM went back to the old press type bearing. Cost cutting? Smaller vehicle needs less durable parts?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.